Set List Help...any Suggestions??

LaurenceLaurence Posts: 7
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
HEY!!

in about a month..I'll be doing a little acoustic show...
I'll be playing some of my songs..but I also wanted to play some originals (any songs/ artists you can think of that can be played acoustic)...

ok...I need to find at least 20 songs to play (I am sorry if you guys think it's weird that I'm asking, but I haven't played much of anything besides my own songs lately...and I need help!!)

Well, first of all..I'm a girl..so...it might help you help me...I'll be playing acoustic guitar... I'm trying to give as much info as I can so you can help me better...I can sing pretty much anything unless it's too low...or way too high... that's about it... Thanks for your time!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Pearl Jam - Off He Goes, Thumbing My Way, Down, Fatal, etc.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • dreadheaddreadhead Posts: 64
    i would say go for some crowded house- world where you live sounds awesome but u would polly need some bak up vox. also pj wise elderly woman, immortality and thumbing my way. hope it goes well for u.
    "I wish I was Australian at home under the sun" Eddie- Perth 03
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Posts: 546
    'Footsteps' sounds really nice with a female singing it......
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Stinkfoot wrote:
    'Footsteps' sounds really nice with a female singing it......

YIKES!!!! :eek:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    dreadhead, I would love to see a girl sing Elderly woman....at least in the original key.......ya that'll happen. Laurence, it would help if I knew the style you play...
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • LaurenceLaurence Posts: 7
    Thanks for your help!!
    Acoustic songs I would say

Blue Rodeo - Lost together, or anything else by them
    The Black Crowes - She talks to angels
    Pearl Jam - Daughter
    The Goo Goo dolls - Name
    Tracy Chapman - Fast car
    The foo fighters - Everlong

Like I said, it would help if I knew your style a little more
  • LaurenceLaurence Posts: 7
    nailz100 wrote:
    dreadhead, I would love to see a girl sing Elderly woman....at least in the original key.......ya that'll happen. Laurence, it would help if I knew the style you play...

mmm...my style is mostly Folk...Neil Young...Damien Rice...I've played a lot of Cranberries and Blind Melon (but I just can't do it anymore!!)...Mazzy Star... Pearl Jam of course...
    but my problem is..I need to find songs other than what I'm used to play.. that other people can relate to... Cause right now I can't think of anything...

I was thinking of doing this "breathe 2am" song...

I don't know....aaarrrgghhhhh!!!

I need to find songs that people will know..and that's the real problem!!!!

Thanks again!!

;)
  • Baby I'm An Anarchist BY Against Me! (it would be a good song to play if you changed the way you sing it, download it and you will see what i mean)

Drive BY Incubus
    Babe I'm Gonna Leave You BY Led Zeppelin
    Goin To California By Led Zeppelin
    Gallows Poll BY Led Zeppelin
    All Apologies BY Nirvana
    Footsteps BY Pearl Jam
    Thin Air BY Pearl Jam
    All Those Yesterdays BY Pearl Jam
    Last Soldier BY Pearl Jam
    Fake Plastic Trees BY Radiohead
    Disarm BY Smashing Pumkins
    The Seeker BY The Who
    Handshake Drugs by Wilco

Whoop There It Is BY Tag Team :D
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    Disarm and drive are definately two more great suggestions for you...

"Cover me" by candlebox is another kickass song
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    in your eyes by gabriel or cant find my way home by blind faith are cool songs on acoustic.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Cool that you're doing this!

How about some Beatles?
    She's Leaving Home, Dear Prudence are great acoustic. Or stretch and play My Guitar Gently Weeps. That's great acoustic and not really hard to play, but the chords progression sounds great acoustic.

Patty Griffin has some wonderful acoustic songs. Her album "Flaming Red" is electric, but the song "Christina" is beautiful song sung solo, or "One Big Love"

Neil Young - I am a Child, or any of 2000 other ones! :D

How about some Bob Marley? Get a little reggae beat going and sing "One good thing about music, is it makes you feel ok!" Or Redemption song if you can sing it with passion,,, although that one is risky.

If you like Grateful Dead, they have a lot of songs that sound great solo. Sugar Magnolia can get the crowd tapping their feet.
    Ripple, Brokedown Palace, Friend of the Devil, Uncle John's Band

Or try Talking Heads- Psycho Killer, that's easy to play, and a little weird and offbeat. People will look at you like "WTF" :D

Have fun,,,,and good luck Laurence
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    It's so cool!! So many great ideas that I would have never thought of by myself!!

THANKS AGAIN!!
    And if you have any more suggestions, let me know!!!!!!

Woo-hoo!!
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Laurence wrote:
    Oh my god!!
    You guys!! Thank you SOOOOOO much!!
    It's so cool!! So many great ideas that I would have never thought of by myself!!

THANKS AGAIN!!
    And if you have any more suggestions, let me know!!!!!!

Woo-hoo!!

:)
    The song, "Goodbye" by Patty Griffin ,,,,,, (It's playing right now, and it's awesome!!) That's why I thought of her!

Also, the song "Heaven" by the Talking Heads is really cool on acoustic!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Time In a Bottle - Jim Croce
    Something from the Tea Party
    How Come - Ray LaMontagne
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    I always thought it was cool to try things that people normally wouldn't think of doing acoustically...think how Pearl Jam reworked I Believe In Miracles...at an acoustic show I did back in April, I performed a song by Sleater Kinney in a solo acoustic version, and it went well. Maybe take your favorite punk song and rework it.
  • DigMeOutDigMeOut Posts: 29
    if you could strip down the pixies' gigantic, it could be really nice and original.
    8-23-00, 8-24-00, 8-25-00, 11/14/02(letterman), 4-30-03, 6-6-03, 7-6-03, 7-8-03, 7-9-03, 7-12-03, 7-14-03, 9-28-04, 9-29-04. 10-1-04, 3-18-05 (northwest school), 9-2-05, 9-4-05, 9-15-05, 9-16-05, 9-30-05, 10-1-05
  • I agree with the earlier suggestions for Disarm (Pumpkins) and Psycho Killer (Talking Heads).

I would also suggest Wicked Game (Chris Issak). Really easy to play, and female vox would make it sound cool.