Removing 2 out of 4 tubes, does it half the output?

mohomoho Posts: 541
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi, I read about this before but just checking here to see if anyone knows about it because i forget! I have an old 100w marshall head from the seventies. Amazing tone out of it but to be honest its too fuckin loud! It has to be cranked to sound its best and that just drowns the rest of the band out. If I remove two of the tubes, will it decrease the output to 50w? And if so will i be at risk of any damage to the amp?
JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I don't know for sure, but remember, 100W IS NOT TWICE AS LOUD as 50W.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Depends on the head. Check with the manufacture, they will tell you for sure.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Depends on the head. Check with the manufacture, they will tell you for sure.

+1

Alos, be sure you pull either the two external tubes, or the two internal...meaning don't pull two from the same side. Also, your tranny is looking for that extra power. It should function ok only seeinghalf the power, but it might also put undue strain on it if it's original. I think the old Marshalls used Drake's.
  • mohomoho Posts: 541
    hmmmm ok thanks people for the suggestions. Any more welcome
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • i tried that when i bought a 120 watt blue voodoo head several years ago, i was told to pull the two outer tubes and switch the head to 8 ohms and keep the cab on 16 ohms. it worked fine for the couple of weeks i used it but i returned the amp to the store b/c i bought a jcm 900 that i would run at 50 watts and no longer needed the blue voodoo. i would ask a marshall tech before doing anything though.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."