12 String Acoustic Songs

Could anyone recommend me some songs to learn on my new 12 string acoustic? I'm already planning to learn Over The Hills and Far Away by Led Zeppelin, Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd and All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix, but any others would be greatly appreciated.
the needle & the damage done
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• firasfiras Posts: 34
    space odity /david bowie ....is a must!
    abragadabra milk life...
    we love you.
  • Van Morrison - "Almost Independence Day" (1972). Also, investigate Leo Lottke's 1970s recordings, and Tim Buckley's "Dream Letter: Live in London 1968".
  • The Byrds' "Eight Miles High" is great, too. What make have you? I have an old Sigma 12-string.
  • Could anyone recommend me some songs to learn on my new 12 string acoustic? I'm already planning to learn Over The Hills and Far Away by Led Zeppelin, Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd and All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix, but any others would be greatly appreciated.

angel by pearl jam -

wish you were here is a 12 string song? wow!
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours

• The Byrds' "Eight Miles High" is great, too. What make have you? I have an old Sigma 12-string.

I have a Washburn D10S 12, which I got for a pretty good price (AUD$369) brand new from ebay. Should be getting it sometime within the next two days so pretty stoked.
    angel by pearl jam -

wish you were here is a 12 string song? wow!

Yeah, actually seeing Pink Floyd play Wish You Were Here at Live8 was what made me want this guitar even more- awesome song.

Thanks for the angel tip as well, I had no idea that used a 12 string.

Cheers for all your suggestions folks!
    the needle & the damage done
  • SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    Not entierly sure whether it is played on a 12 string but it sounds sweeeet when it is - QOTSA - Mosquito Song.

All you need now is an accordian - good luck.
  • You know, I mentioned Van's "Almost Independence Day" because "Wish You Were Here" rips its 12-string riff off pretty blatantly. I'm amazed the usually litigious Van never did anything about that.
  • Wish you were here is most definetly a 12 string (and who's to say Van morrison didnt take it from Roger Waters prior to wish you were here?.. syd left awhile before that album...)

i hope to god you know that all along the watchtower is a bob dylan song....

bobby - 1969
    jimi - 1970

but yes jimi's rhythm guitar uses a 12 string ;)

Breaking the girl - red hot chili peppers is really fun.

on the video for Space Oddity it looked like bowie was playing a 6 string but i havent heard the song much.. i'll take you word for it that at least one of the guitars in it is 12 string-ed. :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Wish you were here is most definetly a 12 string (and who's to say Van morrison didnt take it from Roger Waters prior to wish you were here?.. syd left awhile before that album...)

Van Morrison's "Almost Independence Day" was released in 1972. "Wish You Were Here" was composed, at the earliest, in 1974. Dave Gilmour came up with the guitar riff for Roger's song, and since his days in Jokers Wild, Dave has been by his own admission one to copy and pinch the odd riff! He's known as one of the best guitarist-mimics in the business as well as a legend in his own right.

As for Jimi's version of "All Along The Watchtower", it was recorded in January 1968 immediately after the release of Bob's "John Wesley Harding" LP. Jimi does not play the acoustic guitar part on the song. Dave Mason from Traffic does. And Jimi plays bass on the track also, because he'd had a row with Noel Redding and Noel had gone off to sulk in a nearby pub during the sessions.

Aaaaaanyway, I thought of another guitarist who plays DADGAD-tuned acoustic guitar, often 12-string: Pierre Bensusan.
  • stefanwastefanwa Posts: 43
    A lot of songs by Grant-Lee Phillips!
    Also, check out this great tab archive of his songs...
    http://www.geocities.com/homespun_archive/
  • As for Jimi's version of "All Along The Watchtower", it was recorded in January 1968 immediately after the release of Bob's "John Wesley Harding" LP.
    one of us has our album dates confused (probably me) i thought john wesley harding came out in 69 and Jimi covered it in 1970..?

i read that and it seemed a bit late at the time.. i'll take your word for it.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"