the Disadvantage of Mixer-CPU recording

harrisonmerwinharrisonmerwin Posts: 766
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
By some request i have been asked to put this up, i originally did it for CJB, but I will put it up here for the rest of you folks. Just to let you know, i do not work in Music Retail, NOR do i support multitrack companies exclusivly. This is all said based on hours and hours of experience on both types, and this is my conclusion based on practice. if you have any questions, please PM me or drop a reply in here.

to CJB:

There are several varying reasosns why choosing a mixer to record with is a disadvantage. I'll list them out here:

1. While running several lines into a mixer , you must have the volumes set so it sounds good. For example, If you are recording say a) vocals, b) A mic'd guitar, c) and just a room mic, you have 3 lines into your mixer. You mix the levels to what you think, or even hear are correct, then run it into your USB interface and start recording with your software. After five minutes and a great take, you quite recording, and playback what you did. If one mic is too quiet, or too loud, it is IMPOSSIBLE to layer the 3 tracks, and adjust them acordingly. this is the MAJOR disadvantage of having a mixer. Your USB interface/PC will only recognized yoru three tracks as one, so it really limits your editing possibilities. If you begin to record with a band, it becomes nearly impossible because all of your levels, panning (left or right) reverb, etc... must be PERFECT before recording. With a Multitrack recorder, You set the input levels to the "peak gain" (this is when your line in is at max before producing unwanted noise by using to much gain) and then you can simultaneosly record.Your same 3 tracks will all have a different track on yoru console, and you can adjust individual volumes, panning, effects, and equalization (bass, mids, treble) Also if you send it to a computer using the compatable USB and software, it will all come on yoru computer as individual tracks as well. (most multracks use USB 1.0 technology, but most companies are upgraded to 2.0 to cut down transfer time from console to PC)

2. Another disadvantage of the mixer: to use it, you need a computer, and recording software. With a Multitrack recorder, you can take it anywhere you want, and SAVE all your music onto the harddrive (the make them up to 40GB, which is hours+ of high quality music) This means you can just plug a guitar in and jam, without the hassle of being a) near a computer and b) using a computer at all. The advantage of the multitrack is you can take it to your buddies garage/basmenet, anywhere, and save all of your music, mix it on the spot, and put it onto a computer at a later point, rather than constantly checking levels of a mixer, and recieving faulty playback. The comparison is, while recording you can use your Mixer+USB+Computer, or just use a multitrack, which is much more portable, and as you read above, is easier to use.

3. For layering guitar parts, dubbing vocals, etc...you need to be able to hear your playback. If its recorded through a mixer, you need to hear what your computer has recorded, AND hear what you are playing/singing simultaneously. This is really hard to achieve being so many units and connections. Multitracks you can hear what you are playing, and hearing at the same time, and on most consoles you can adjust the output level of the previously recorded track, and the INPUT headphone level of what you are currently recording. This is a major advantage, it helps alot with stayign in time an rhythem, rather than blasting your computer speakers to hear over your amp, etc.

I really feel like a salesman, but i have nothign to sell so its ok. The multitrack just seems alot more practical for the amatuer or professional in my eyes. I have used a 12 track mixer, into a USB interface, into a CPU, and i have also used a few types of Multitracks. Although i prefered some multitracks over others, they were all easier to use than the Mixer>PC. This is all i have to say for now, but if you have ANY questions, even if they are small, or you think they are stupid, please ask, i do not want you to regret this desicion because gear is expensive, and automatically loses its return value once purchased. Please get back to me, thanks

Harrison

ok so thats that, i hope you learned somethin and again i encourage to hear more about your questions or experience with this stuff, it is a crucial buy for some people, and they deserve to know what is best for thier situation, cheers alll

Harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19