Spontaneous Amp buy - let me tell you all a story...

harrisonmerwinharrisonmerwin Posts: 766
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey,

So i was in the local convienence store owned by some east indians at lunch, as i'm paying for my lime slushie, i look down at the local 8 page "Buy and sell" print, that comes out every thursday, every couple months i flip untill i find musical intruments just to see...usually i find nothing. Today at the top i see " Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - 40 watt, 12" speaker, comes with foot swtich, gc. $200 (CDN) call XXX-XXX" . SO i shook my head and read it again, "200?" i thought, couldn't be. So i drove back to school wondering about it. With abotu 10 minutes to spare i walked to the store right across the street (no slush machine believe it or not) and i pick up the same mag and call. It was for real $200 so i said after i was was out i would drive up and take a look. I was thinking this woudl be a ratty peice, but as 3:00pm rolled by i found different. I went to the house, it was on top of the stairs waiting to be picked up. I looked at it, all new tubes, perfect working condition and the clothe and covering was all good. I asked again how much, he said $200. Sop i handed the cash and got outta there faster than a bat outta hell. I took it to the jam spot, plugged it in, had it just on bright, and WOW!

This amp pumped out so much, with volume at about 2 o'clock and gain at about 9. I could not believe how much balls this thing had. I coudl play light and it would glisten, then attack the strings and the crunch would come in perfectly, and extremely controllable. I proceded to try it out with the tube screamer and once again, iw as blow away how it coudl take the OD on the bright channel, and make it sound like a roaring unit. I must say, this amp is amazing and getting it at about 1/4 of the price makes it seem that much better. I was thinking about traynor...but after playing this with my band tonight, it just fits my play perfectly. So...anyone else have one of these?

HM

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    That's a steal, but I hope it wasn't someone elses 'steal' before you got it, if you catch my drift.

Nice amp though, I really like those! Incredible cleans.
  • That's a steal, but I hope it wasn't someone elses 'steal' before you got it, if you catch my drift.

Nice amp though, I really like those! Incredible cleans.

yeah i dont really know the story....the guys had a whole basement jam place with lots of stuff...i doubt if it was not meant to be in my hands

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • That's my pickel I'm in right now harrison.....

I have one of the Oxblood ones on hold right now,(used for $495) which is still a great deal. It's between that and the Traynor 50BLUE.

The clean channel on the Deluxe is unbelievable, although the Drive on the 50BLUE has more balls in my opinion. That's where I'm stuck.

I think I'll end up going with the Deluxe (sorry Dirty ;))

I played it tonight with an SD-1 and then an EH Double Big Muff and it sounded fuckin' wicked!! Especially with the Big Muff, plus it was only $65.

I'm just thinking that I haven't found a clean like this yet, and I can always achieve a wicked Drive with a pedal....I think this might be my diciding factor.

I'll let everyone know for sure what I end up doing. :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • That's my pickel I'm in right now harrison.....

I have one of the Oxblood ones on hold right now,(used for $495) which is still a great deal. It's between that and the Traynor 50BLUE.

The clean channel on the Deluxe is unbelievable, although the Drive on the 50BLUE has more balls in my opinion. That's where I'm stuck.

I played it tonight with an SD-1 and then an EH Double Big Muff and it sounded fuckin' wicked!! Especially with the Big Muff, plus it was only $65.

I'm just thinking that I haven't found a clean like this yet, and I can always achieve a wicked Drive with a pedal....I think this might be my diciding factor.

thats exactly my thoughts, the cleans on the Hot rod's are so controllable, and i will never use the OD on the amp, i will use my TS-9 to get the boost i need...it just shimmers....the non-tube/spring reverb is nice too...better than i thought, although i would rather have somethign al la more vintage

HM

• thats exactly my thoughts, the cleans on the Hot rod's are so controllable, and i will never use the OD on the amp, i will use my TS-9 to get the boost i need...it just shimmers....the non-tube/spring reverb is nice too...better than i thought, although i would rather have somethign al la more vintage

HM

Do you think that's a good call than??

Going with it for the clean, and getting my OD's from a pedal??

Especially for $495 too, that's good.....$200 just isn't even fair :):)

I was thinking something like an SD-1, BD-2 or even that Big Muff I tried out today.

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Do you think that's a good call than??

Going with it for the clean, and getting my OD's from a pedal??

Especially for $495 too, that's good.....$200 just isn't even fair :):)

I was thinking something like an SD-1, BD-2 or even that Big Muff I tried out today.

may i suggest teh TS-9, i have played this thing through marshalls, fenders, line 6....never change the settigns, and it soudns so good through all, and its a fairly good price too boot....i highly suggest the hot rod....highly

HM

ps: then we can battle the traynor folks!

• may i suggest teh TS-9, i have played this thing through marshalls, fenders, line 6....never change the settigns, and it soudns so good through all, and its a fairly good price too boot....i highly suggest the hot rod....highly

HM

ps: then we can battle the traynor folks!

Haha!

That's what the guy in the store suggested too....(the TS-9)

So is the HRD your fulltime amp now??

.NJD.
    That's my pickel I'm in right now harrison.....

The deluxe is a steal. IMO, do that! I've got the 80 watt 6L6 combo, so I can get the shimmering clean with tonnes of headroom. I find myself more and more using just the clean channel with the SD-1 or the Shannon (or both).

I'm still going to get the YCV50BLUE, but hang on to the 80 as well. I think that 80 was built for a strat, because it just sings through it. The 50BLUE was absolutely killer with my Les Paul though.

A oxblood for $490, or a Traynor for $790? Even I would take the Oxblood.
    I feel a division coming on. We'll have you too with the Fenders, HHV and myself with the Traynors, and then the other's with the awesome boutique stuff, who will kick all our asses. :p
  • She is a beauty:

http://www.tao-gitarrenlaedele.at/Amp%20Pics/Resources/blondeoxblood.gif

Just for the record though....check out this one:

http://itc.gsw.edu/faculty/aparks/HotRod_LE1.jpg

I mean that is just gorgeous

.NJD.
  • I feel a division coming on. We'll have you too with the Fenders, HHV and myself with the Traynors, and then the other's with the awesome boutique stuff, who will kick all our asses. :p

hmm....i disagree...well it depends really on what you play, for someone liek myself who plays a variety of types of music, i need a very versatile amp to fall back upon (i have a flextone III as well). these guys who have "boats" as i liek to call them, have there tone dialed in, and for the most part can't play to much out of thier amps stylings without adding something else too it...i liek versatility...and it wins every time with me

HM

• You may already know this website harrison, but I found it pretty usefull:

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

There was some bad reviews on Harmony-Central about the Deluxe's, that's what sort of made me hesitant...

But I guess if I like it that's all that really matters. :)

.NJD.
  • Haha!

That's what the guy in the store suggested too....(the TS-9)

So is the HRD your fulltime amp now??

i'm not sure...i really love my Flextone III plus, it's gonna take a big bridge to get these two to sound good toegther, so i think ill use the line 6 for my own personal experimenting, and use the hot rod for the band...these things sound great mic'd....just wondering, what guitar are you gonna be using, my american deluxe strat just slices through this thing, i love it!

• Nothing special for me.....

Just an Epiphone SG 310.....

The guy at the store rocked on the Deluxe for me even, and it sounded awesome, heard some tones I didn't know my guitar even had. :D

I'm looking to get a Tele at the end of the summer :)

.NJD.
  • i found an amp in a similar situation. i was browsing the classifieds in a local newspaper and found a mesa boogie studio .22+ combo with cream tolex and a high gain mod for $350. i loved the thing as soon as i heard it and i paid cash that night.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
    i found an amp in a similar situation. i was browsing the classifieds in a local newspaper and found a mesa boogie studio .22+ combo with cream tolex and a high gain mod for $350. i loved the thing as soon as i heard it and i paid cash that night.

Now that is a steal!