Active or Passive PA's.

harrisonmerwinharrisonmerwin Posts: 766
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So guys

Whats your call on Active PA systems, or Passive PA systems. its somewhat of a debate topic, i just wanna knwo what you guys think. Personally im an Active fan...

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I love the new Mackies. They sound great and are a nice system.

It simply depends really. If you've got the sense and the budget, there are some great passive systems, and then if you can't afford active, you can make do with little tricks, but just in general....Wow do those Mackies sound good. They did a great job matching up all the amps, speakers and the cabinets.

It depends on what you want, what you are looking for out of the system....tone quality etc.

If you just want loud, JBL TR's and a 1000 watt PA head will do fine.

I want a freaking EAW rig :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I love the new Mackies. They sound great and are a nice system.

It simply depends really. If you've got the sense and the budget, there are some great passive systems, and then if you can't afford active, you can make do with little tricks, but just in general....Wow do those Mackies sound good. They did a great job matching up all the amps, speakers and the cabinets.

It depends on what you want, what you are looking for out of the system....tone quality etc.

If you just want loud, JBL TR's and a 1000 watt PA head will do fine.

I want a freaking EAW rig :D

im purchasing 2 mackie SRM450's. AMAZING speakers, i have also worked with the 15 inch bass bins and 3 way tops...all active.....man...the clarity and response...phenomenal. and they are fairly priced i would say, not one unit sells for more than 2 grand, which in the PA world, is decent.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    im purchasing 2 mackie SRM450's. AMAZING speakers, i have also worked with the 15 inch bass bins and 3 way tops...all active.....man...the clarity and response...phenomenal. and they are fairly priced i would say, not one unit sells for more than 2 grand, which in the PA world, is decent.

yeah, for the money.....I have not found a better sounding rig than the SRM450's. I'm not an EON fan. I do like the JBL M series, but yeech the EON's are no bueno.

SRM 450's are the freaking dogs balls for everything.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah, for the money.....I have not found a better sounding rig than the SRM450's. I'm not an EON fan. I do like the JBL M series, but yeech the EON's are no bueno.

SRM 450's are the freaking dogs balls for everything.

they were designed as portable front of house. turns out they were more than just portable units. they could actually hold their own for crowds ranging from 5 peopel all the way up into the hundreds. and there acoustical shape ironically ends up in a wedge....so...lets use them as monitors too. There is nothign these cannot do. And if you do need to satisfy the needs of a 1000+ listeners, mackie has some GREAT full size loudspeakers. but hoenstly who here is playing shows of that size with their own gear!