Bad news for the future of my playing

harrisonmerwinharrisonmerwin Posts: 766
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all,

I've recently been researching the diagnosis "Psoriatic Arthritis". For those of you who dont know what that it, it is Arthritis caused by the skin disorder psoriasis. Its more prevelant in more serious cases, and it just ends up to become just as cripling as regular arthritis, but it can progress as early as the mid-20's. Ive had Acute Psoriasis for about 8 years, and in the last 4 or 5 ive had really bad back and neck problems. More recently ive really been feeling strain in my hands and toes, and occaisonally in the wrists. It has yet to actually hurt, but its just discomforting allways having that feeling you need to crack every joint in your body. I really worry in the next 10 or 15 years i'm going to lose the good motion in my hands, and my back. Allready after about an hour of standing i have to sit down, or after an hour of sittign i have to stand up, with a guitar strapped over my shoulder or hunching over on the lap, it really decreases that time. Unfortunately theres really nothing i can do about this, just enjoy your guitar time while you got it. luckily you dont need to have lightning quick hands to be in audio production (well some would argue that!) but at least musically i wont suffer my whole life.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i know someoine that has something similar,he uses a stand to hold his instrument,while sitting, so the weight isnt on his body at all.
  • I feel really bad for you :(

It isn't very related, but the drummer from Def Leppard still carried on drumming after he lost his arm in a car accident (he started using a mechanical arm), if you want to play enough, you will find some way to overcome it.

Good luck for the future!
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • My doctor told me I had carpol tunnel...but fuck that, i keep playing :D...after about 30 minutes of playing it starts to hurt but I can go for about an hour or so :)
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Thats bad to hear. Keep on rockin' in the free world though!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I guess you can still play, just don't push yourself too hard for any one session. Maybe you'll last longer overall that way. Don't let it get you down either. Maybe eventually even if you can't play a full set, you could still give (less-intensive) lessons as a part-time job.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Start learning slide :). Derek Trucks is a monster player, and most of his work is slide.
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Wow, that's terrible. I'm sorry. I know the right thing to do is to protect your wrists and not do a lot of playing, but if it was me, I would try to fight through it to slowly improve some stamina.

Best of luck. You're always welcome here and are always welcome to spread your Strat knowledge around anytime too! ;)
    Happiness is only real when shared