SNL - Technical Review

harrisonmerwinharrisonmerwin Posts: 766
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all, throw your thoughts down.

I'm amazed at how eddie rallies an ebow, he's a pro with that thing. Anyoen else agree mike was a bit low too?

Harrison

ps: congrats to matt too! great singing

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• they were great but am I the only one that feels the drummer is singing wayyyyy tooooo much--his whiny voice overpowered ed's

and y did the drummer run to the front of the stage at the end of wws? the song was barely over and he was tripping over himself to get to the front. the close-ups were only of ed and drummer boy--which is great but what happened to mike, jeff and stone have they not earned camera time. either way they sounded great (less back up vocals) and played very well, did not miss a beat.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    they were great but am I the only one that feels the drummer is singing wayyyyy tooooo much--his whiny voice overpowered ed's

and y did the drummer run to the front of the stage at the end of wws? the song was barely over and he was tripping over himself to get to the front. the close-ups were only of ed and drummer boy--which is great but what happened to mike, jeff and stone have they not earned camera time. either way they sounded great (less back up vocals) and played very well, did not miss a beat.

'drummer boy', 'the drummer'?

The man has a name! :confused:

'Drummer boy' has a pretty voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy2iUK63xiw&search=wellwater
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    yeah hopefully when they mix it the drummer fellow guy will be turned down a tad, and mike will be TURNED UP several notches!!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
    The porch is a warzone today. I think I'm going to talk gear instead.

I could hear Mike, but I don't know why he's not higher in the mix. I'm fairly certain that they're mixing on the fly. Maybe these engineers are listening for different stuff than we are. Maybe we just know the music too well... heh, who knows.

The little drummer boy, he was a little to high in the mix for WWS, but was perfect for Severed Hand. It might have to do with his vocal dynamics or mic placement, but who knows.

I don't know how people can say that the little drummer boy has a whiny voice. I've heard WWC, and he doesn't sound whiny there, nor does he in all the previous PJ live stuff. I think WWS was just in his upper register, that's all. I know that I can't sing that high.

We're going to retire 'little drummer boy' now.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Ahhh...Matt Cameron. The guy shits more talent than most of us will ever have.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    stone had a bluesbreaker. that was pretty cool. and the peavey i think. mike had the trentino.

ed's added another tweed to that little boxed collection. sounds better than it did on the last tour. and now i know how he makes that noise with the ebow.

i thought mike was a little low but it is mixed on the fly so....
  • momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    enharmonic wrote:

Love this post!!!!!

I was so proud of Matt last night. I thought he did great. I did notice that there were too many close ups of Ed and Matt and not enough of everyone else. What can you say, I think the camera is always going to shine on the lead guy no matter what the other people are doing.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
    Did anyone else notice how hard Matt was rocking out?!?

He is a machine.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i just watched again on youtube, which sounded better than what i'd taped off TV last night.

things sounded pretty damn good.
  • Did anyone else notice how hard Matt was rocking out?!?

He is a machine.

It's so true man!!

Matt rocks so hard!! I've always loved him, it's too bad he takes some heat.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
    enharmonic wrote:

that pretty well sums it up.

It's really unfortunate that a lot of people can't realize this.
  • Hey all, throw your thoughts down.

I'm amazed at how eddie rallies an ebow, he's a pro with that thing. Anyoen else agree mike was a bit low too?

Harrison

ps: congrats to matt too! great singing

the EBOW rocks, i bought one a few months back and you can get the most amazing sounds out of it and i'm proud to see eddie embracing it after using it on yield, i know he has a passion for it and seeing him do the old apeggio with it on snl was great

every guitar player must buy one

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    they rocked the house, and sounded great.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I thought they rocked and hard. I just had the greatest feeling of joy watching Mike in his power stance rocking out the chorus. Can't wait for the album and for the two shows in June I'm going to roll around.

And I'll always have an unspoken love of Matt Cameron, after all, we share a first name and a birthday. Plus, as my friend said last night while we were watching, he's the greatest drummer they've had.
  • exhausted wrote:
    stone had a bluesbreaker. that was pretty cool. and the peavey i think. mike had the trentino.

ed's added another tweed to that little boxed collection. sounds better than it did on the last tour. and now i know how he makes that noise with the ebow.

i thought mike was a little low but it is mixed on the fly so....

Not a Bluesbreaker but a 1974x
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,672
    exhausted wrote:
    i just watched again on youtube, which sounded better than what i'd taped off TV last night.

things sounded pretty damn good.

Yeah last night I watched it on HDtv , picture was great but for some reason eds vocals sounded too low,

Then I downloaded it today and I could hear most of the lyrics, so perhaps I need to adjust my TV settings, Its a new TV so I better go read that booklet.
  • I thought matts vocals were definately too loud in WWS, but I found them just right in severd hand. Mike was awefully impressive... when was the last time a guitarist tore it up like that on SNL. Well actually prince did a couple weeks ago, by he is a magic fairy or elf or something so his doesn't count.

I thought WWS was the superior performance strangely enough. I think we might all be biased because we all recognize WWS as being an average pearl jam song. I mean, it was a really good performance and eds vocals were louder, or better mixed on WWS. I mean to the average watcher it was clearly the better song...

Severed hand is cool but it has a strange form ( like A A B outro or whatever) and so is harder for the first time watcher to get into.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    i thought matts vocals sounded great on both songs.

his vocals parts are mixed kind of loud on the studio version of wws,so i thought they did a good job of capturing that same feel.

and howabout those wicked rythyms stone was playing in both songs?

wow.
  • First of all, "Severed Hand" is a ridiculous song. The intro and outro rocked almost has hard as the the riff once it kicked in. If people can't dig that groove, they need some better shovels. I think Cameron's addition the band is getting them a tad closer to a Soundgarden feel, which is ultramegaOK with me.

Plus, I'd kill for that drum kit. Any drummer on this forum knows that Cameron is simply the man, and this his kit is sickening.

As for the sound: I've heard over the years many bands on many live TV shows never get the sound they want, which means that the TV people are manipulating the sound to be drum heavy and vocal heavy. The guitars often sound very thin and way under-mixed. I've read that a lot of bands don't like to do these kinds of gigs because of this. That's TV for you, though. Always watering down the good and replacing it with something harmlessly mediocre.

Peachbone
    http://www.thepeachbones.com
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    peachbone wrote:
    As for the sound: I've heard over the years many bands on many live TV shows never get the sound they want, which means that the TV people are manipulating the sound to be drum heavy and vocal heavy. The guitars often sound very thin and way under-mixed. I've read that a lot of bands don't like to do these kinds of gigs because of this. That's TV for you, though. Always watering down the good and replacing it with something harmlessly mediocre.

TV is a hard medium to mix to... TV speakers aren't really made for fidelity or for accurate musical reproduction. They're maximized for dialog, the sound of the human voice. Newer home audio setups are getting more people listening to TV on proper audio systems, and TV speakers are improving dramatically, but there are still a lot of folks listening to TV's from the 80's and 90's with crappy speakers. Hell, a lot of them aren't even in stereo. It probably could've been better, sure, but cut 'em a little slack.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    peachbone wrote:
    First of all, "Severed Hand" is a ridiculous song. The intro and outro rocked almost has hard as the the riff once it kicked in. If people can't dig that groove, they need some better shovels. I think Cameron's addition the band is getting them a tad closer to a Soundgarden feel, which is ultramegaOK with me.

Plus, I'd kill for that drum kit. Any drummer on this forum knows that Cameron is simply the man, and this his kit is sickening.
    http://www.thepeachbones.com

I liked Severed Hand better the first time. That riff is full-on Porch.

Matt's drum kit is a Yamaha Birch Custom. Sounds good, but I prefer his Ayotte Kits from 94/96.

Horses for courses indeed.