Fundementals of a Three Peice Band Disscussion

harrisonmerwinharrisonmerwin Posts: 766
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys,

i've been thinkign alot about the three peices band (Drummer, Bass Player, one guitar player, with either one of them picking up vocals, or a seperate vocalist) and ive just been wondering, where is the "make or break" for these kinds of bands, also, what is the optimal setup as far as composition goes? This is not so much a question just an open disscussion, i'd like to hear thoughts on it. Theres really 4 things to discuss

the sound, placement, and transperancy of:

1. Guitar
2. Bass
3. Drums
4. Vocals

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The main thing with a three piece is that all the members have to really be able to hold their own. If one person is weak in the group, they'll drag down the others. It's a harsh reality of having limited instruments, and a lack of another musician to fall back on.

I think the strongest members have to be rhythm section. The guitarist can be as good as anyone, but without something holding it together, it could fold pretty quickly. I personally like powerful drums in a 3 piece, followed by a bass player who knows his way around a fretboard that can play along with the guitarist and drummer in a form of 'organized chaos'. :p

With vocals, the band needs to be there to really back them up. A good vocalist over a tight band is never a bad thing,.
  • frank,

i agree with you. The bass player cannot just play bass, it is essential that they fill in the melodic gap between drums and guitar, and with only one guitar they have more work. They are more a "rythem" or "lead" guitar player than an actual bass line player. Also the drums, they must fill in every gap where there is one, unless its due for silence. They have to be so "expressionate". The next question, guitar soloing, is there enough backing track between drums and bass in this modern rock to support a full blow solo, ro should it be more thought out melodic riffs. Can the improv'd solo work in a three peice modern rock band>?

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    See the John Mayer Trio for an example of an amazing three piece band. Talk about surrounding yourself with great musicians. Steve Jordan on the drums, and the Who's touring bassist Pino Palladino.
  • Cream is a perfect example of what a three piece band can sound like when all of the members can really hold there own and play off one another.
  • I think a solid three piece is the best set up in music. I agree that all three players have to be solid, but I think some people can go way over the top with things. You do need a bass player and drummer that just sound solid as can be, and become almost as one. You don't need to guys that think they need to do as much as possible at all time's. You also need a fantastic guitar player that is able to make things sound way fuller then usual. Open chords help out a lot.

Big Head Todd and the Monsters is a very good example of a current band that is pulling this off still.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • I think a solid three piece is the best set up in music. I agree that all three players have to be solid, but I think some people can go way over the top with things. You do need a bass player and drummer that just sound solid as can be, and become almost as one. You don't need to guys that think they need to do as much as possible at all time's. You also need a fantastic guitar player that is able to make things sound way fuller then usual. Open chords help out a lot.

Big Head Todd and the Monsters is a very good example of a current band that is pulling this off still.

You don't need a bass player who plays bass like a guitar. I hate that!.

:mad:

Play it as a bass!
  • moster78 wrote:
    See the John Mayer Trio for an example of an amazing three piece band. Talk about surrounding yourself with great musicians. Steve Jordan on the drums, and the Who's touring bassist Pino Palladino.

As much as I hate John Mayer's music, his trio is fuckin amazing.

I don't care for trio bands only because a lot of these 3 piece bands don't sound full enough with 1 guitar player but some bands sound fine with it (Led Zeppelin, Wolfmother, Cream)

I love Nirvana but live Cobain's guitar didn't do it for me, I know he basically sucked at guitar but still...
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    It can't successfully be done without a great drummer. I believe that a guitarist needs to interact with another instument. If it's not going to be another guitarist or keybard player it has to be the drummer. Unfortunately, it seems a lot easier to find a good guitarist or keyboard player than drummer.

The first three power trios that come to mind all had mammoth drummers; Cream, Led Zeppelin and The Who.

Power trios have to be built aroud the drums. I can't think of a successful one that did it any other way.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    surferdude wrote:
    It can't successfully be done without a great drummer. I believe that a guitarist needs to interact with another instument. If it's not going to be another guitarist or keybard player it has to be the drummer. Unfortunately, it seems a lot easier to find a good guitarist or keyboard player than drummer.

The first three power trios that come to mind all had mammoth drummers; Cream, Led Zeppelin and The Who.

Power trios have to be built aroud the drums. I can't think of a successful one that did it any other way.

You forgot a little Canadian Power Trio called RUSH!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • You forgot a little Canadian Power Trio called RUSH!

Neil Peart being a fine example.
  • You don't need a bass player who plays bass like a guitar. I hate that!.

:mad:

Play it as a bass!

That is my total opinion, it usually starts with some one and a five string thats for sure!!!!! Just kidding boys.

Bass and drums are suppose to be the backbone of all songs.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • That is my total opinion, it usually starts with some one and a five string thats for sure!!!!! Just kidding boys.

Bass and drums are suppose to be the backbone of all songs.

i agree with ATY, the bass cant just be single note picked really low, it really has to be within an octave of what the guitar is playing, or at least fill in the harmonic gap the best way possible. can you imagine if flea just picked single noteS? not so much they have to play liek guitar, they just have to really fill it in, by the way, great disscussion

• three pieces always sound great when les claypool is the bass player