Acoustic strings question...

harrisonmerwinharrisonmerwin Posts: 766
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey,

im finally sick of my acoustic sound, now that i'm playing it way more to write on, i've now realized hwo bad it sounds. Its thin, buzzy, and just not good. rather than brand, im looking to find the answer for gauge. right nwo im using martin light's green package, 12 bucks or something. I like light strings just for the sake of playing, but now they bug me. I want somethign warm, and that resonate well. Also not too much low end, i liek the richness of a nice mid-sound on an acoustic, the muddy lows just dont sound good whiel chord strumming etc. I mainly use a pick for strummign and light picking. Any suggestions? shoudl i just move up to a medium gauge? swtich from martin to ____xx____? or what...i wish this was as easy as a strat problem....

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    Right now I have 80/20 Bronze Elixir Light, .012-.053 on. They sound pretty good to me and are pretty easy to play, though there are some folks that really hate Elixir. The strings are treated so they keep they're tone longer - which they do - but because of that, they are supposed to be slippery. I have no complaints about that, though.

I am sure there are better sounding strings out htere, but I am however very happy with this gauge. Whatever strings I get next, the gauge will stay the same.

I'd actually like to hear some other recomendations as well.
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    pearlwax wrote:
    Right now I have 80/20 Bronze Elixir Light, .012-.053 on. They sound pretty good to me and are pretty easy to play, though there are some folks that really hate Elixir. The strings are treated so they keep they're tone longer - which they do - but because of that, they are supposed to be slippery. I have no complaints about that, though.

I am sure there are better sounding strings out htere, but I am however very happy with this gauge. Whatever strings I get next, the gauge will stay the same.

I'd actually like to hear some other recomendations as well.

i've been bouncing back and forth between martin darco lights and dri phosphor bronze mediums.both are 12's.

i havent decided on one set over the other just yet,but i do like the way the darco lights sound when lightly strummed a little better at this point.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    i usually put the elixer polywebs on my acoustic. i think its a twelve by 52
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Mediums should give you a little more bass and a tighter sound, so it won't be as muddy.

I've been an Elixer lights guy for a long time, but I'm using all maple guitar, and the fishman preamp helps me get the bass I desire. It's pretty even, no where near the bass you get from rosewood or even mahogany. I'll let you know how the DR phosphor bronzes go.

a couple questions, are your back, sides and top solid wood?

and what kind of wood are they?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mines spruce top, mahogany back and sides. Im heading to the string store today, so maybe ill try out some medium elixers 12-52 or something. Ill report back this afternoon.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    mines spruce top, mahogany back and sides. Im heading to the string store today, so maybe ill try out some medium elixers 12-52 or something. Ill report back this afternoon.

That should be very even lots of mids, not as much bass as rosewood. The heavier strings should tighten up the bass.

It's too bad MIG isn't around more often. He hates new strings, I'm sure he'd have a good opinion on this one.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    mines spruce top, mahogany back and sides. Im heading to the string store today, so maybe ill try out some medium elixers 12-52 or something. Ill report back this afternoon.

So is mine, and like I said: I'm pretty happy with how the Elixir Lights 12-53 sound. But I'm no expert.