"Aftermarket" single coils.

harrisonmerwinharrisonmerwin Posts: 766
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all,

anyone use any dimarzio or seymour duncan "vintage" strat coils? i'm thinking of picking up a set. I really want the crunchy tone, like john frusciante's old strat, or mikes 59, i just cant afoord originals. Anyone know of any good replicas? i haven't ventured too far into this area before.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i've used duncan's classic stacks in a strat and quite liked them. noiseless stacked humbuckers.

but i like fender SCNs even more. very pure to my ears.....

but i also like cheap wine so who knows.
  • exhausted wrote:
    i've used duncan's classic stacks in a strat and quite liked them. noiseless stacked humbuckers.

but i like fender SCNs even more. very pure to my ears.....

but i also like cheap wine so who knows.

yeah i have samarian cobalts in my deluxe, they are nice, not much of a stacked fan myself, i liek staggared pole single coils, are the vintage series ones from fender noisless?

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    well, fender has the vintage noiseless ones too but they don't get great reviews. all their custom shop 57s, 62s etc are all done the old fashioned way.

haven't tried any of them. the noisy environment in which i play forces me to stick to the noiseless world.

so i'm not much help... :o
  • exhausted wrote:
    well, fender has the vintage noiseless ones too but they don't get great reviews. all their custom shop 57s, 62s etc are all done the old fashioned way.

haven't tried any of them. the noisy environment in which i play forces me to stick to the noiseless world.

so i'm not much help... :o

i can understand how noiseless pickups could corrupt the oldschool tone. Part of the tone is the noise, the amp picks it up, converts it to a light fuzz, just like the good old days. As long as the whole electric part of the guitar is grounded properly, the noise won't even be that bad. I know i can pick up a set of 57/62's on ebay for CHEAP, like 120 bucks canadian. Im really considering this.