About to put down my guitar for good

goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 371
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
When I was in high school (15 years ago), I used to be quite a decent guitarist. When I got to university, I stopped playing completely. I regretted putting it aside, as years later I found myself pretty much unable to play.

I've been trying over the past year or so to pick it back up, but it's as if my left hand (I'm right handed) is constantly fighting against me. It's to the point where I have no enjoyment, only pure frustration whenever I play. I can play standard rhythm guitar (i.e. chord strumming) without any trouble. The problem comes when trying to do anything more than that.

Any last suggestions (other than 'keep practicing') before I sell my guitar and put it behind me?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Yes.

Do not put any expectations on yourself. Play what you want to play for the fun of it. If you want to play technical stuff, you're gonna have to shed. There's not trick to it. The only way around that is if you have some kind of freaky guitar savant thing going on.

Just relax. Sounds like you might be overthinking it...ease back into it. If your brain played it once, it can do it again. Just give it time. 15 years ia a long layoff. I haven't played regularly for over 2 years (I play on and off as time permits...which is all about to change), and I can't play half of the shit I used to be able to play.

It will come back...just keep at it a bit longer. It's not a race.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Set realistic expectations. I'll never be able to fingerpick like I did in high school. I hate it but I accept it. I just don't have the time like I did to spark one up and just play for hours on end.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Find a nice teacher who can give you some good technique. Someone who can teach you how to hold your hands and your arms so you don't hurt yourself.

Don't give up without asking for help first! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    You need to treat it like you are just learning it again. It's been a long time since you've played, so all you can do is relearn everything. It is absurd to me that you thought you could play more technical stuff after 15 years. It will be easier to relearn, but my advice would be to treat it like you are learning it for the first time.

Slow everything down. Get a guitar teacher. Just dont look at it as picking up the guitar again. Think of it as picking up the guitar for the first time.
  • goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 371
    Pat H wrote:
    You need to treat it like you are just learning it again. It's been a long time since you've played, so all you can do is relearn everything. It is absurd to me that you thought you could play more technical stuff after 15 years. It will be easier to relearn, but my advice would be to treat it like you are learning it for the first time.

Slow everything down. Get a guitar teacher. Just dont look at it as picking up the guitar again. Think of it as picking up the guitar for the first time.

That's how I've been going about it. No time for a teacher though. After 16+ months, I figured I could do more than strum chords. My work schedule's too erratic to commit a certain block of time each week.

I'd like to thank those who posted their comments. I'm not quite sure why I posted this. Guess I just had the need to vent a bit. Unfortunately, I've decided to sell my guitar and affiliated equipment.