Acoustic Guitar $400-$600 Range?

hawkeye8388hawkeye8388 Posts: 47
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I received a beginner guitar (Hohner) last year for Christmas and looking to upgrade. I am looking to spend around 400-600 dollars. One of the biggest problems is my fingers are short and reaching some chords can be difficult (thankfully easier than it used to be though).

I would appreciate if anyone had any suggestions for a acoustic guitar in this price range that has a relatively small fret. Then I can go a store and check them out/play.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Normans are really nice. There are some nice Taks as well.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • There's a really nice Takamine cutaway for $599. Not sure about the frets, but check out the reviews.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-EG530SSC-Acoustic-Electric-Cutaway-Guitar?sku=516442
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • I play a 10-year old Alvarez-Yairi WY-1 and I love it. It's actually the same guitar that Grateful Dead guitarist Bob Weir plays and endorses (maybe that's what the "W" stands for??? I dunno). It plays almost like an electric guitar with it's slimmer neck and lower action, yet retains a beautiful tone. It's an electric-acoustic w/ a cutaway. It's grand auditorium style, not a dreadnaught so it's a bit smaller. Brand new, these go for over $1000, however I've seen them go on eBay for about $600 so keep your eyes peeled for one of these as it may be what you're looking for. If shopping for brand-new, Takamine's aren't too bad, but make sure you do your research. You want good woods, not laminates. And Made in Japan is far, far, far better than Made in China, Korea, or Taiwan (of course, Made in USA is highly desirable!).
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • you can get pretty good takamine for under $400. built real strong.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • I have an Art & Lutherie Ami, which is their smaller parlor-body acoustic, and I love the neck. It's very neat, small, and fast, plays very similar to a Les Paul electric. It's a much smaller body, though, so it doesn't project very much. That said, it's really inexpensive and incredibly well-made.

They're from the same company that makes Seagull guitars, which are also well-built and within your price range. Check them out.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • There's a really nice Takamine cutaway for $599. Not sure about the frets, but check out the reviews.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-EG530SSC-Acoustic-Electric-Cutaway-Guitar?sku=516442

I have that guitar except it's the EG531SSC which i think is the same guitar...

It's a really nice acoustic and the frets are thin so I think it would suit you very well...

Also check out some seagulls which are really nice and not that expensive.
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • I have that guitar except it's the EG531SSC which i think is the same guitar...

It's a really nice acoustic and the frets are thin so I think it would suit you very well...

Also check out some seagulls which are really nice and not that expensive.

+1 for the Seagulls
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...