New Guitar Time - Suggestions?

CaptainSpaz91CaptainSpaz91 Posts: 266
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey

Well another day another questions, I'm moving on to another guitar and I'd love a new A/E. I had a very generous friend give me an Epiphone Standard Les Paul which is in very good condition. And I'm proud to say I've outgrown my beginner Fender Acoustic, so I think this is the next step. I recently found a steal at a pawn shop when I was going through Philly. A 1969 Guild F-30! The guy said I don't know how to pluck strings gimme an offer, I said 30, he said have a nice day and handed it to me. It's pretty beat though :(, sounds amazing but TLC is needed with it. Eventually when I'm out of college I'd love to have it restored.

Anyway suggestions? I was just at Guitar Center, I tried a Martin 000C but my friend actually bought it, it was about $729 bucks, and I tried a Takamine EG-561C. I loved how the Takamine played but I wasn't as thrilled with the sound, as I was with the Martin. Then again well there was almost a $300 dollar difference in guitars.

Thanks for reading, hope to hear from you guys and gals soon.
"i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    great guitar for 30 bucks.

what's your budget? This is tougher, what kind of sound/look are you going for?

You'll need to play a ton of different guitars with different woods etc to ultimately decide.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JasmineJasmine Posts: 22
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    great guitar for 30 bucks.

what's your budget? This is tougher, what kind of sound/look are you going for?

You'll need to play a ton of different guitars with different woods etc to ultimately decide.

Yeah, you're right.
    I wish there was an easy answer, but there really isn't. You have to find something that feels and sounds good to you. Don't just look for popular names either... sometimes the one you end up liking the best is by a maker you've never heard of. Think of it this way: buying a guitar is like being asked on a date. You don't want to waste your time with anything other than the one that is perfect for you. Sure you have to go through a few before you find 'the one', but eventually it should be something that you want to spend the rest of your musical life with.
    ONWARD!... but not upward... that would be weird.
  • JasmineJasmine Posts: 22
    ;) that's the way to do it!
    ONWARD!... but not upward... that would be weird.
  • MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
    "What i am going to do this saturday is jsut go into a few music shops, play on some guitars, and buy the one I like the most."

I say add another step in there.

1. go to a few music stores
    2. play some guitars
    *3. Go home and think about it
    4. go back the next day and offer 50 bucks less than the price posted

:)
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • CaptainSpaz91CaptainSpaz91 Posts: 266
    I've been playing aroudn with everything, I've got a few in mind. I've been to Guitar Center probably, well 3 times in 2 weeks and spent signifgant time there. I also went to a local shop, Robbie's which has a wonderful selection, plus Guilds which my GC doesn't have. Price range, hmm... I'd say under $1000 with case and tax, so let's say guitar under $800 bucks.

Really, I just want suggestions of what you guys have now, or have played that you have enjoyed. Ultimately its up to me, and I have a thousand different questions to ponder but hey, if you guys got any ideas I'm open to try any guitar out there at least once haha.

Things I've liked so far (Somewhat around the price ranges):

Martin 00CXAE
    Martin 000CXAE - These are both the black ones I've been playing
    Maybe a used Martin JC-16GTE or the 000C-16GTE

Takamine EG-561C, I forget the rest

I know of Elderly Guitars, but any other good vintage/used guitar shops where I can search the inventory online??

Thanks again guys and gals.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    check out the tube preamp Takamines as well as the Taylor 2 and 300 series.

Larraviee and Tacoma make some good ones in that price range too.

Fenders Grand Concerts are solid for the money too especially with the Fishman preamps.

Look hard at Epiphone Masterbuilt too if you can get your hands on one.

Don't completely shy away if the guitar has no electronics, the Fishman Rare Earth Acoustic soundhole pickup sounds fantastic and you can just pop one of those in., having the preamp box inside sometimes effects the tone of the guitar.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • BriansGMCBriansGMC Posts: 33
    Hey Captain Spaz you should check Gruhn.com the owner George Gruhn writes a column in Vintage Guitar mag and has a ton of vintage guitars online. Also check Phils guitars he has some really cool vintage stuff
  • CaptainSpaz91CaptainSpaz91 Posts: 266
    Hey

I really enjoyed those sites thanks alot, hmm Epiphone Masterbuilt........let me see about that one I'll get back to you guys
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    I recently picked up an SG Classic with P-90s (like Eddie Plays) beautiful guitar with the best neck pick-up sound around, really warm with just enough bite.

But my workhorse is my Faded SG. Relatively cheap for a Gibson, plays great, and can be used to play pretty much any type of music.
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you