Tuning Question

CaptainSpaz91CaptainSpaz91 Posts: 266
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey Guys and Gals,

Another question from me, haha. I was looking through http://www.giventowail.com and I came across a certain tuning, 1/2 Step Down. I have an AWFUL ear for tuning, I'm talking awful. Enter my best friend, a chromatic Fender tuner. So this description off the website:

How it differs from standard tuning:
Tune all strings down ½ step.

How To Do It:
From standard tuning, match the 6th fret of the low E string to the open A string, then tune the guitar normally using the new low Eb string as a basis for the other strings.

That does me nothing, is there anyway you can tell me to use my tuner? My tuner does not show flats, just sharps. So what exactly would each string be? Thank you
"i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Matching the 6th fret on the "E" string to the open "A" would actually be a half step up, not down. Matching the 4th fret on the "E" string to the open "A" would be a half step DOWN. Then what you do after that is match the 5th fret on the "E" to the open "A", and then the 5th fret on the "A" to the open "D", and then the 5th fret on the "D" to the open "G"

...and then the FOURTH fret on the "G" string to the open "B" and then the 5th fret on the "B" string to the open "E".

It's actually quite easy....just PM me if this doesn't make sense. That, or buy a tuner that can tune to flats and sharps.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Actually, captainspaz,,,your method is right.

The 6th fret on the low e string is Bb, so if you tune it to the A string, you are lowering the pitch by a half step,, the open low string will now be Eb.

So,,, match the low E string 6th fret with the open A string.
    Then fret the low E string at the 5th fret and tune the A string to this.
    Hold the 5th fret A string and tune the D string to this
    Hold the D string 5th fret and tune the G to this
    Then hold the 4th string G string and tune the B to this
    Then 5th fret on the B string and tune the high E.

While you're down there at Eb, you might as well do a little Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn while you're at it! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • CaptainSpaz91CaptainSpaz91 Posts: 266
    nailz100 wrote:
    Matching the 6th fret on the "E" string to the open "A" would actually be a half step up, not down. Matching the 4th fret on the "E" string to the open "A" would be a half step DOWN. Then what you do after that is match the 5th fret on the "E" to the open "A", and then the 5th fret on the "A" to the open "D", and then the 5th fret on the "D" to the open "G"

...and then the FOURTH fret on the "G" string to the open "B" and then the 5th fret on the "B" string to the open "E".

It's actually quite easy....just PM me if this doesn't make sense. That, or buy a tuner that can tune to flats and sharps.

hey nails it does do sharps
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    From low string to high string: D#, G#, C#, F#, A#, D# (instead of E, A, D, G, B, E) on your tuner. My Korg is the same way, it will only indicate sharp notes and not flat notes.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    The easiest way i find to do it is to fret the 1st fret on all strings then tune down with your tuner.
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Glad you figured it out CaptainSpaz91. And who's_pearljam, I think you misunderstood me, because if you are in standard a440 and want to tune down half a step you would want the "A" string tuned down to "Ab" which would mean holding down the "E" string on the 4th fret and matching the "A" string to that note. And then tune the rest of the strings (including the "E") to match the changed "A" string.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see