Strat Question

CaptainSpaz91CaptainSpaz91 Posts: 266
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all,

Well, now I've been working hard, summer is here for this college kid, I put money aside for a guitar, I was thinking A/E but I really have always wanted a strat since I was little before I could play guitar, my question is which is best and why?

American Strat
Highway 1 Strat
Mexi-Strat

I know American is the best and so forth, but is it really worth all that money? I really don't care about resale value, I intend on keeping on my guitars that I collect over the years.

Thanks for your time again
"i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Hey all,

Well, now I've been working hard, summer is here for this college kid, I put money aside for a guitar, I was thinking A/E but I really have always wanted a strat since I was little before I could play guitar, my question is which is best and why?

American Strat
    Highway 1 Strat
    Mexi-Strat

I know American is the best and so forth, but is it really worth all that money? I really don't care about resale value, I intend on keeping on my guitars that I collect over the years.

Thanks for your time again

what are you looking for in a strat, what is your sound? Essentially no one can tell you this, I love strats, I've likely played thousands with hundreds of different pickups and configurations in thousands of different amplifiers to narrow it down to what I know I want the tone in my head.

A big important question might be since you don't care about resale does it have to say Fender on the head stock?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
    Well,

I am not gonna pull the "only you can know" stuff :)

Get the american. Supposedly the highway 1's are peices of shit.

The mexis are not bad guitars by any means, but if this guitar is gonna be around for the long haul, get the higher quality wood, hardware, neck (rounded fingerboard edges). and all that comes with an american model.

I have an american Telecaster and have really been pleased with its quality. And yes I can tell when I go and play a MExi the difference in quality.

SO my vote is get an american, especially cause this is gonna be your long term guitar.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    Get the American! The sound is much fatter and you have better sustain and a nicer feeling neck because it's made with better quality wood and parts.

if you intend on playing for a long time, you might as well get it now.
    If you get the Mexican you'll eventually realize that the sound isn't as rich as it should be, and you'd end up upgrading. So you might as well save yourself the money in the long run and get the American.
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you
  • CaptainSpaz91CaptainSpaz91 Posts: 266
    Thanks, you addressed alot of my concerns. I guess I just looked at the price tag and shyed away a bit. But honestly, if its worth it I'm going for it haha Thanks!
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    buy the best you can reasonably afford.

personally, i don't think there's anything wrong with the highway 1 strats for the price.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    exhausted wrote:
    buy the best you can reasonably afford.

personally, i don't think there's anything wrong with the highway 1 strats for the price.

I agree.
    I'm pretty good at picking out guitars, so I have no problem with Mexican Strats, but you have to go through a pile of them to pick out a good one. I wouldn't buy one without playing it, whereas the American ones have more consistant fit and finishes.
    If you want one for the long run and don't have a feel for what's decent quality, maybe spend a little more and go for an American one. Check the fret work, ( how smooth are they finished along the edges, loose ones, play every note on the neck and check for buzzes) check the neck/ body fit and the general feel in your hands.
    If the hardware isn't that great, you can always change it out later when your budget permits, and you can change pickups later, too, if your tastes change.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

FENDER FAT STRAT!!!!!!

its like the mexican strat but with a single coil humbucker on the bridge

i have it, the sound is so fuckin amazing!! well worth spending 600$ less than an american (guitar is around 400$)

i strongly recomend this!!!!

get a nice fat sound...or you can get a nice bright sound...the one i have is a rosewood neck with sunburst color...i love it

i also have a Gibson SG Special...and i think for my birthday i overheard my aunt saying she was gonna get me a Schecter PT
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    "i don't think there's anything wrong with the highway 1 strats for the price."

Yah I cannot confirm this either. It's basically what I have heard on this board from people. Stuff like that highway ones are just mexicans made in the states (same quality) so you are just paying for the USA name, which isnt the point of owning an american strat, the quality is.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    "i don't think there's anything wrong with the highway 1 strats for the price."

Yah I cannot confirm this either. It's basically what I have heard on this board from people. Stuff like that highway ones are just mexicans made in the states (same quality) so you are just paying for the USA name, which isnt the point of owning an american strat, the quality is.

i've played them. i have an opinion.
    "i've played them. i have an opinion"

So you do you find them to be significantly better than the mexican ones?

Now that I think about it it might have been the paint job on them everyone was criticizing specifically?

I almost bought one once, it was a transparent red tele.