Fulltone Distortion Pro

CaptainSpaz91CaptainSpaz91 Posts: 266
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey,

I recently was using an SD9 Distortion Pedal but no matter how much I toyed with it, I never quite got the sound I was looking for. I was wondering if there is any PJ Song (Live or Studio) where the Fulltone Distortion Pro pedal is evident; also the other pedal I'm looking forward to using is the TS-9 I just bought.

Thanks for any help in advance.
"i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• What kind of amp were you running the SD9 thru? I'm not much help since I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm curious why you couldn't get the sound you were looking for.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • I ran it through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It's not my amp, my college roommate has let me borrow it for the summer until he comes back to college. I love the clean tone, but I couldn't get the pedal to get that kind of Alive tone I was aiming for.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I ran it through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It's not my amp, my college roommate has let me borrow it for the summer until he comes back to college. I love the clean tone, but I couldn't get the pedal to get that kind of Alive tone I was aiming for.

Part of it is the speakers, The Deluxe's are brighter with the stock eminances than they really should be. Stones Tone in Alive was mostly EL34 high gain marshall sound with an extra kick from the SD9 when he wanted probably hell he could have left it on all the time I don't really know and the stock celestions probably oh lets say 75 watts, so due to the 6L6's you're a little loose on the bass response and the speakers are a bit bright. Try dialing in a bit less treble and a bit more midrange in fact just dial in a good clean tone a TS9 and an SD9 might get you there, because the midrange "hump" of the TS9 is sufficient for fattening up the sound which is what you need. More Fat, More volume more balls with a little bit of hair.

The goodness of the Distortion Pro comes in it's flexibility. I think it has some internal trimmers as well as the externals so you can shape it to do what you want it to do. It's a good pedal but you might also try cascading gain as I mentioned above. The Electro Harmonix Big Muffin might work well for that and another great pedal for that sound would be the Tonebone Hot British. Check them out before you buy the Distortion Pro.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I can always count on you Pac!
  • Yes, key to most early PJ tone = Marshall tube amp with lotsa' gain.