Yellow Ledbetter Question - Again...

CaptainSpaz91CaptainSpaz91 Posts: 266
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Yeah, I know I ask about this song alot but I'm just trying to get things down sorry for that.

But my question is, when you start the intro and slide to the 7th fret, I suppose it to be a B, how do you guys keep your first finger down on the B and e strings with your thumb wrapped around on the low E string? I can wrap my thumb around but when I try to keep my finger down on the B and e I end up just having the B down and the e muted.

Any tips on that?
"i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I dont think i can give you any tips, i guess some people can do it and some cant, Its probably the size/shape of your hand,
  • I have fairly long fingers I think I'm starting to get it, and I really only practice on my acoustic guitar, I should probably get out my G*L for this one
    lol
  • uh, i don't play it exact, but i just hit the B on the top string quick with my index, and then mess around on the lower strings.....i don't use my thumb.......and when you hit the A note, you can hit the open A string instead of fretting it at all!!!!!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • once again..

practice.

*nods*
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    this song is more about feel than playing exactly. listen to live versions, mike never plays the same riff, just variations of it.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Hey!

I started a thread on this a while back and i was curious now too to play those A and B chords.....do i have to hold the B and e strings down with the same finger??? Cause that's hard :o

And CaptainSpaz...i have a cool video of Mike playing it from a Bridge School, and there's one posted in The Porch of him playing it during that South American interview!! I can send u the Bridge School...send me your email :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • yeah mike has completely changed the way he plays it a few times over the years.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I agree with you on that one toast, epecially right after the first run down the neck and instead of that slide he did around the 12th fret, switching it up with a lil walk down the scale into the next part. I also have been trying to work on that walk but I can't seem to figure ou tthe notes