Best Tube Amp Under $600.

CaptainSpaz91CaptainSpaz91 Posts: 266
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well I finally have money after all the presents I have purchased for the holiday I tucked away a little for a nice tube amp. I'll be using my G&L Tribute through this amp, it's very similar to a Mexi-Strat but IMO a very smooth sound. I've heard many different ideas like buying a Fender Blues Junior and upgrading the speaker, I've also heard about Peavey Blues Junior/Classic 30, and the new Crate Club amps.

Any ideas? Be creative as you'd like, I can't wait to read what you guys have to say, thanks again for your help.
"i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• well you know....

i think everyone would agree....

TRAYNOR...hehe i tell you though i told about 3 or 4 people to get one, and they have all loved them...Dirty_Frank told me to get one so i did and i didnt look back
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Traynor-YCV40WR-ycv-40-80-20-tube-guitar-amp-amplifier_W0QQitemZ7363269096QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • See, I read alot of your posts about the Trayor and it sounds terrific one thing, I don't know if I could handle something so loud, I'd never turn it up past 3 I would guess, and at night I'd have to keep it down haha.
  • i never put it past volume 1 since im in an apartment thats only 4 rooms
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • yeah there ya go ahha
  • whats your opinion on the 20 then?
  • whats your opinion on the 20 then?

the 20 is good

people dont realize that its 15 watts instead of 20

the only problem with it is that it doesnt sound as good as the ycv40 due to the speaker...if you switch the speaker to a Vintage 30 like the ycv40 you will have more of that "traynor sound" but off the top of my head i dont know if the tubes are the same or not, that makes a big difference as well

im thinking of getting a ycv20 for when i go to college because i dont think the 40 would be working well with the dorms next to me or my roommate, ha

edit: as i thought, the tubes arent the same
  • haha, thats my deal college....my roommate is the one who got me into guitars, but we can't keep his hot rod deluxe in the room and i want a nice tube amp anyway so haha
  • haha, thats my deal college....my roommate is the one who got me into guitars, but we can't keep his hot rod deluxe in the room and i want a nice tube amp anyway so haha

well if you get the ycv40 its fine at volume 1...just get something to push the overdrive channel a little bit...once u get to volume 2 or 3 you wouldnt need that other "push pedal"...

i mean i have to admit, it was stupid for me to get the 40 knowing that i jam only once or twice a week where i really push it to volumes 4-6

edit: what i just realized from an earlier thread...the 50Blue Traynor has a master volume knob where you have more ability to get a certian volume out through the master and preamp
  • Find the old ones when they had a master. ;)

:)
  • Find the old ones when they had a master. ;)

:)

thats actually a really good idea, and you could probably get a good deal from someone who sells it for a lot less thinking its old and a piece of shit, when its not
  • thats actually a really good idea, and you could probably get a good deal from someone who sells it for a lot less thinking its old and a piece of shit, when its not

I find it so hilarious since I found this out last night. Traynor removed the master volume, taking away a fairly significant feature, and raised the price on the amp. I bought mine for $650 CDN new 4 years ago! Sometimes I wonder...
  • I find it so hilarious since I found this out last night. Traynor removed the master volume, taking away a fairly significant feature, and raised the price on the amp. I bought mine for $650 CDN new 4 years ago! Sometimes I wonder...

still though an amp that sounds better than 90% of what is out there for that price range is fucking awsome
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I have a Fender Blues Junior. 15 Watts, decent speaker, master volume so you can overdrive it while keeping the volume somewhat acceptable. But it can crank too.
  • I took a few bits of advice from here, and I got a Traynor YCV50 Blue. Got it for $575 off of ebay with shipping and everything. The thing sounds amazing. See my post to read a bit more about it. I found these 2 on ebay. Trust me and everybody else, on this. If you love playing electric guitar, this amp will double that love.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=Traynor+YCV+50+Blue
  • Hey Moster

What speaker do you think would make that amp?
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Hey Moster

What speaker do you think would make that amp?

I think mine has a Jensen 12 inch in it.
  • mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
    I am looking as well for a little practice tube amp. Back home in Greece I have a fender pro junior which is only 15W, but trust me the damn thing is pretty loud and I actually could not crank it up because I was living in an apartment. I was planning to buy another one while I am here in Austin but while I was searching I run into Gibson Goldtone Les Paul Jr. Amp. I don't know anything about it but people say it sounds awesome and it is only 5W so it should be actually feasible to crank it up while at home. It is quite expensive to buy it new but I think there could be some good deals on ebay. Anyway, has any of you guys played that tiny amp?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/481209/
    "You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Depends on the application and the volume levels you need to achieve.

If you're looking at those peavys and the ampegs and the fenders also shop the new Crate (yeah I know this goes against what you've heard) the new Crate V series amps are built very well and they are already loaded with nice speakers.

Also shop the Dr Z Mini Z http://www.drzamps.com

old fender champs and vibro champs

and Used Mesa subway 22's and Rivera Pubsters.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    old fender champs and vibro champs

I'd go this route, if you want something that won't be too loud...

The Traynors are nice amps, but unless you can open them up a bit, they won't be all they can be. Even the little 15-watters, like the YCV-20 and the Blues/Pro Juniors, are a little loud for a dorm or small apartment.

I love the hell out of my little Vibro Champ... and you could pick up a silverface Champ or Vibro Champ for around $250.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    The Traynors are nice amps, but unless you can open them up a bit, they won't be all they can be. Even the little 15-watters, like the YCV-20 and the Blues/Pro Juniors, are a little loud for a dorm or small apartment.

The pro junior is too loud for an apartment... Don't even think about playing a 15W tube amp in a dorm...

I had in mind the vibro champ as well mainly becuz I remembered a couple of years ago mccreadyisgod bragging about it... LOL... But I don't know... This Les Paul Jr. has drawn my attention... Has anyone played this god damn tiny thing?
  • mogwai wrote:
    This Les Paul Jr. has drawn my attention... Has anyone played this god damn tiny thing?

I'd love to hear an in-depth review of it, but haven't tried one myself.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I'd go this route, if you want something that won't be too loud...

I love the hell out of my little Vibro Champ... and you could pick up a silverface Champ or Vibro Champ for around $250.

yeah the thing about the Traynors is 100% correct

i was stupid to get the ycv40 since im in an apartment and i cant put it past volume 1
    and you dont get the "real" sound it can provide

ill never forget the first time i cranked it to volumes 5 and 6...it was a krispy cream donuts factory :D
  • Hey Pac,

I was at Guitar Center yesterday playing this Crate.....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/487825/

Close your eyes you defintely thought you were playing something much bigger. It had a great clean tone as well.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Hey Pac,

I was at Guitar Center yesterday playing this Crate.....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/487825/

Close your eyes you defintely thought you were playing something much bigger. It had a great clean tone as well.

Yeah, that's the ones I was talking about. Celestion vintage 10 speaker 5 watts. I like those better than the Blues Jr's. I saw a guy giging with that very amp in the little blues dive around the corner, it's plenty good for the smallish bar type venues. The 16 and 38 have good stuff inside too, I was suprised. I didn't know st louis music was paying attention, then again I've been pleased with several offerings from their Ampeg bass line too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    I did not even know that this crate amp existed. So now I have one more amp in mind to check out apart from the gibson les paul jr. Thanks guys.

P.S. Today I ordered Danelectro's DE1 Tape Echo. Having read so many good reviews about it I hope I will not be dissapointed.
  • I have a Peavey Classic 30. Its the old design front, changed only recently. I understand the internals are pretty much the same.

Before that I had a series of digital amps - Line 6 Spiders, even a Vetta, and a Vox Valvetronix 60 watter.

I hated all of them...realised I had to have a valve amp. I love the way the valves in the back glow in the dark when it is pushed.

I demoed a Fender Blues Junior, a Laney LC15R and the Classic 30. I have a humbucker guitar and a single-coil-equipped guitar; the Fender was fine with the single-coil, not too good with the Peavey and Laney. Only the Classic 30 was fine with both.

Its fine for anything except metal/nu-metal stuff - but terrific with blues, rock & country. If you want to dirty things up a bit, add a pedal.

I normally play it clean - no pedals or FX (its that nice). It has a nice on-board reverb. Other times I just add a Vox volume pedal. I also have a Boss GT-6 and Roland GR-20 guitar synth, but I've never been confident enough to use these sort of things live. I like pedals but I have really bad stagecraft - on a dark/wet stage I can never get to grips with anything other than my guitar and a volume pedal, without tripping on something or turning the wrong footswitch on/off. I got the GT-6 to help me with the mess I've sometimes got into, but never have time to truly exploit it.

So I use what I can trust - thats the Peavey, and most of the time, a Yamaha Pacifica. The Peavey extension cab is apparently very good for it, but I don't own one; for big gigs it gets mic'ced into the PA (another reason I should try the GT-6 on-the-road).