Just ordered an electric guitar

ziggy21ziggy21 Posts: 23
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Just ordered my first electric guitar off of Ebay, I usually play acoustic. I bought a very slightly used 2003 Epiphone Les Paul w/ the honeyburst finish. I know it's not a Gibson but it's a great guitar for me. I'll eventually change out the humbuckers but for a while I'll keep it stock. I can't wait to get it! Does anyone have any pedals they recommend? I was looking at a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver. I like to play Pearl Jam (obviously), Ben Harper and Led Zeppelin to name a few.

Thanks for the help!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    That's a coool guitar. I'm actually planning on getting the same exact guitar (honeyburst and all...) as my next, second guitar. Probably in a few months. I decided to get a Les Paul because I'm really getting into Led Zep songs and I just love those guitars anyway... :p

I don't know much about which pedals would be best though :o sorry for the rant.

Enjoy the Les Paul! :D
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    That was my first guitar. Mine was in Cin-a-burst. The same color as Billy Howerdell's from A Perfect Circle. I never seen an Epi in that color and the flame on it was as good as any gibson. I need to buy it back from my step brother.
  • I played the Blues Driver and really enjoyed it, I might check out the Boss Super Overdrive too if that's what your looking for :)

People on here might tell you to try some of the modified Boss pedals too, I hear they really are better than the actual Boss ones...but the BD-2 or SD-1 would do you fine I'm sure....

I have a DS-1 Distortion right now, but it's alot crunchier than the SD-1 or BD-2 which are smoother and warmer :)

Hope that might help a little :o:o
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    I played the Blues Driver and really enjoyed it, I might check out the Boss Super Overdrive too if that's what your looking for :)

People on here might tell you to try some of the modified Boss pedals too, I hear they really are better than the actual Boss ones...but the BD-2 or SD-1 would do you fine I'm sure....

I have a DS-1 Distortion right now, but it's alot crunchier than the SD-1 or BD-2 which are smoother and warmer :)

Hope that might help a little :o:o

I liked the SD-1 so much, I bought two.

Ended up selling one, but hell, it was a good idea at the time.
  • jodijodi Posts: 183
    good choice!!
    have a fender strat myself, my friend owns an epiphone, it's a good guitar!
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
  • ziggy21ziggy21 Posts: 23
    Thanks for the replies! I'm gonna look into that SD-1 pedal, it looks like it will help me get that sound I'm looking for.

Now I just hope that the guitar comes today! I was hoping to be able to mess around with it over the weekend.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    As Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part. Enjoy the new axe. Give us a full report.

I have both an SD-1 and a BD-2 and like them equally. I find the BD-2, at least the settings I use, add more crunch to the tone. And for some reason it sounds better when you roll the volume down a tad on the guitar.
    The guitar just got here and it's SWEET! It really looks brand new. I can't wait to get it home and plug it in, hopefully it will work. Lol

Can't wait to start getting some gear for it. Why do I feel that my wallets going to start hurting! Lol
  • moster78 wrote:
    As Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part. Enjoy the new axe. Give us a full report.

I have both an SD-1 and a BD-2 and like them equally. I find the BD-2, at least the settings I use, add more crunch to the tone. And for some reason it sounds better when you roll the volume down a tad on the guitar.

I was talking to a guy when I was in B.C. a few weeks ago and he had the modded BD-2 and he loved it, and said it was way better than the regular Boss one??

I doubt "I" would be able to tell a huge difference but I was curious?

What is the main difference??

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Congrats on the purchase man - it's a great step to take going from acoustic to electric.

As for pedals, don't get too hung up on the boss stuff. They aren't shite by any means, but if you spend some time searching and maybe spend a couple of bucks more (not even much) it can drastically improve your sound, especially concerning overdrive pedals. Look at Barber pedals for instance (http://www.barberelectronics.com).. Modding seems to be a good option too, i think there a couple of guys on here who own/owned BD2's, as does this mccready bloke. SO good luck. :)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • pariah wrote:
    Congrats on the purchase man - it's a great step to take going from acoustic to electric.

As for pedals, don't get too hung up on the boss stuff. They aren't shite by any means, but if you spend some time searching and maybe spend a couple of bucks more (not even much) it can drastically improve your sound, especially concerning overdrive pedals. Look at Barber pedals for instance (http://www.barberelectronics.com).. Modding seems to be a good option too, i think there a couple of guys on here who own/owned BD2's, as does this mccready bloke. SO good luck. :)

That link didn't work for me brother :)

.NJD.
    pariah wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the Barber pedals you recommend and do some other research before I make a purchase.

Now I'm gonna go home and plug this bad boy in!
  • "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

.NJD.