Help with Down

moejilesmoejiles Posts: 70
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Trying to figure out an acoustic version of Down - I got most of it but I cant figure out chords for the part "I am holed - and told thats all for not - holds me down"
Seems like a chord change on every word in that line.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• if my memory is correct:

E
    i am loaded

B
    told

C
    that all's for

A
    naught
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • sorry double post.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Guitar 1:
    --0--0----2---3---0---0--0
    --0--0----3---3---1---1--1
    --0--0----4---5---2---2--2
    --2--2----4---5---2---2--2
    0-0
    --2--2----2---3---0---0--0
    0h2-0--2-2
    --0--0
    3-3

Guitar 2:

--9--9----4---5
    --9--9----4---5---7---7--7
    7/9-7--5-5
    --7--7----2---3
    --0--0
    5---5--5
    5/7-5--3-3

if this is the right bit i'm thinking of then the solo comes straight after he sings "hold me down" ????
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • moejiles wrote:
    "I am Loaded - told thats all for not - holds me down"

i run the risk of sounding like a douche bag here (what else is new, i know) ... but shit like this is what irritates me about TSIS ...

the lyrics seems so obviously wrong to me ...

the whole message of DOWN is that the narrator has abandoned his wreckless ways, and given up on giving up ... he is accepting new life, and the possibility of love and self acceptance and over coming addiction ...

what fucking sense does "I AM LOADED" have in that context?
    absolutely none.

I believe i've read the lyric elsewhere, but as of today's search on google, only the TSIS "i am loaded" version comes up ... here is what i claim:

i am holed
    and told that
    alls for naught.
    it holds me down.

now that makes sense to me.

sorry ... just don't understand that one.
    Down is by far one of my most favorite newer PJ songs,
    and i've heard a bunch of versions live ...
    not once does it even come close to sounding like Eddie is annunciating an "LLLL" sound ... if anything it sounds like "Ooooolddd" (Old) ...

but i'm pretty sure the lyric is "HOLED" ...

but fuck me in the face if i'm wrong.

:D

maybe we'll take a poll on the porch over it.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I'm going to agree with you, drifting.

I don't have the song to listen to right now but from singing it in my head while reading the lyrics "holed" does make more sense. It fits in with "fell by the wayside, no getting out" (can't get out of said hole). Then "if hope can grow from dirt like me" again a hole reference. Even the last two lines about won't let the light escape and won't let the darkness swallow me relate to a hole.

It is "holed". So ordered.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • i run the risk of sounding like a douche bag here (what else is new, i know) ... but shit like this is what irritates me about TSIS ...

the lyrics seems so obviously wrong to me ...

the whole message of DOWN is that the narrator has abandoned his wreckless ways, and given up on giving up ... he is accepting new life, and the possibility of love and self acceptance and over coming addiction ...

what fucking sense does "I AM LOADED" have in that context?
    absolutely none.

I believe i've read the lyric elsewhere, but as of today's search on google, only the TSIS "i am loaded" version comes up ... here is what i claim:

i am holed
    and told that
    alls for naught.
    it holds me down.

now that makes sense to me.

sorry ... just don't understand that one.
    Down is by far one of my most favorite newer PJ songs,
    and i've heard a bunch of versions live ...
    not once does it even come close to sounding like Eddie is annunciating an "LLLL" sound ... if anything it sounds like "Ooooolddd" (Old) ...

but i'm pretty sure the lyric is "HOLED" ...

but fuck me in the face if i'm wrong.

maybe we'll take a poll on the porch over it.

I stand corrected - holed it is (by listening to the live Halifax/05 version)
    Thanks all for the help with the chords!
  • moejiles wrote:
    I stand corrected - holed it is (by listening to the live Halifax/05 version)
    Thanks all for the help with the chords!

i'm glad you asked about the chords though,
    i always have trouble with that part for some reason.
    also the ending "nahnah haeey nayanah nah nahaass"
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • the last part is just G and then D.

simple simple simple simple.

Mike puts some nice G major leads in there too :D

Ps. WE NEED A STICKY FOR http://WWW.GIVENTOWAIL.COM
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • moejilesmoejiles Posts: 70
    Ive just found out the lyrics in that part are indeed "I am Loaded, told thats all for not" - Got it from lyrics section on the new website http://www.pearljam.com/songs/song.php?song=Down