Ed's Touring Band Tone

paulhealeypaulhealey Posts: 27
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I would like to know a good way to get Ed's touring band tone, like on Long Road, Cordouroy, & Greivance. I know he plays the tele, (Scheter maybe?) and I assumed it was a Hiwatt amp. Any way, I have a Les Paul copy, and fender princeton chorus, and a behringer v-amp, I am planning a buying an disortion pedal the summer if that helps. Any ideas how I can get a similar tone?
Thanks
I Was Caught In Traffic!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    paulhealey wrote:
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I would like to know a good way to get Ed's touring band tone, like on Long Road, Cordouroy, & Greivance. I know he plays the tele, (Scheter maybe?) and I assumed it was a Hiwatt amp. Any way, I have a Les Paul copy, and fender princeton chorus, and a behringer v-amp, I am planning a buying an disortion pedal the summer if that helps. Any ideas how I can get a similar tone?
    Thanks

Yep...Schecter Tele into a Hiwatt, or SG into a Hiwatt. A Les Paul is too fat for his tone, and a princeton chorus...though a nice amp...cannot get anywhere near close to Ed's Hiwatt tone.

The good news is that used Hiwatts are still relatively cheap considering the prices of Marshalls from the same time period...and they are built a lot better.

Good luck :)
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    He uses (over the last few years) a SG Classic with P-90s. THat gets you most of the way there (the twang on the G string like a tele, but a much warmer tone), But I read somewhere, he doesn't use distortion. He mid-sets the Gain on the clean channel and makes up for the rest by cranking the amp up really high.
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,118
    i think i read that the hiwatt he uses is a single channel head. he sets it with higher gain and then backs his guitar volume down a bit to clean it up. my buddy has a jcm 800 and does the same thing. if you back the guitar volume down it will clean up nicely when lightly strumming chords, when you hit it hard it will get kinda crunchy. turn the guitar vol up and there is your heavier distortion.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."