guitar bridge issues...help

excellentbadgerexcellentbadger Posts: 18
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
for years i owned a guitar with a floyd rose bridge and had issues with tuning the guitar as whenever you start putting one string in tune, it puts another out.

So recently i purchased a USA fender strat with the standard bridge and thought that these days were behind me, however it still happens! but to a much smaller extent. If, for example, i have it all perfectly tuned then go down to drop D, the other 5 strings need tuning again.

its SOO frustrating. its most annoying at band practices when everyone has to wait for me to correct my tuning after every song. does any one know a way round this? do i need to add another spring or something?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    there is no way around it if you want to be able to use the full range of the tremolo. just the nature of a floating trem.

however, you can adjust the springs such that the bridge rests against the body. you can't bend up but you can still bend down. it requires saddle height and intonation adjustments as well.
  • There are a million reasons why things go out of tune why do you assume it is the bridge?

1. check your neck stability. Are you using one of them there toothpick shredder necks? Thin neck + multiple tunings are not good. The tension variation will change the shape of the neck. Is your neck bolted on good, can you move with force when you take the strings off?

2. Is your nut properly filed?

3. Are you sure the tuners are not slipping? I have changed out the tuners on several of my guitars to better tuning ratios.

4. Are you properly stringing your guitar? Do you at most have one and a half full wind around the tuning pegs? Do you underwrap your string to lock it into place at the pegs?

5. Do you allow enough time to let the guitar get accustomed to the climate you play in? You can not go from your dry arid bedroom to driving in an air conditioned car at 68 deg and then go to a practice in a friends damp garage or basement and expect teh thing to not swell and contract. You have to let the guitar sit there for 2 hours atleast to let it adjust before you even start playing.

6. Do you have a locking nut that slips?
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • listen to what the other guys said or buy yourself a Les Paul m8;)
    Cornell pwns u