mxr100 / univibe - HELP

guildensternguildenstern Posts: 92
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I own a univibe and am looking to buy a mxr100.
Is it me or the slow settings of the phaser are VERY VERY similar to the slow univibe Chorus mode?
thanks for your opinion.
Guild.
ThisIsNotAnExit
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Somewhat. The way the phaser works is it splits your signal into two parts, and then puts the second signal out of phase with the first, at varying degrees based on the rate knob.

The vibe works a little differently. From analogman.com:
    A Uni-vibe is actually a PHASE SHIFTER circuit, with no time delay chips. They use a light bulb inside with 4 light sensors, and the heating and cooling of the filament in the bulb help to give it the special heartbeat pulse. They were invented for keyboards in the 60s, probably to simulate a leslie, but missed it's target by a mile. But when Jimi Hendrix plugged into it, he created amazing sounds and made it into a guitar effect. The univibe phaser circuit is blended with your DRY sound when in CHORUS mode, to make the thick, famous UNI-VIBE sound you know and love from Jimi, Trower, Phish, etc. It sounds best at slower speeds but cool fast too, though not much like a leslie. In VIBRATO mode you hear just the phaser sound, without the dry sound, which is not as useful but some people like it. We sell some awesome Uni-Vibe clones, the Captain Coconut2 has one, the Mojo Vibe, and the Black Cat Vibe.

Honestly, for any sounds you can't get out of the Univibe, a phase 90 will probably nail them for you. Phase 100 is probably overkill.

Edit: I'm assuming you're talking about this uni-vibe: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-UniVibe-Effect-Pedal?sku=151092

and not this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-UniVibe-Stereo-Chorus?sku=151095
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:

Honestly, for any sounds you can't get out of the Univibe, a phase 90 will probably nail them for you. Phase 100 is probably overkill.

Edit: I'm assuming you're talking about this uni-vibe: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-UniVibe-Effect-Pedal?sku=151092

Very kind, I appreciate.
    Only one thing: "nail them for you"? "overkill"? you mean I'm going to buy a doppelganger?
    PS: assumed correctly.
    ThisIsNotAnExit
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I guess those are American euphemisms/phrases.

What I mean is: whatever sound you're looking for that the uni-vibe can't do, the phase 90 probably can. Overkill just means you don't have to pay 30 or 40 more euros for the phase 100 (speed and level controls) instead of just a phase 90 (speed control only).
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1