Distortion Pedal

jsk175jsk175 Posts: 70
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
This may be a silly question, but then again theres no such thing as a silly question. I just started playing guitar and bought a Marshall Amp with a distortion channel. Since my Amp has a distortion setting is there any reason I would want a distortion pedal?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    jsk175 wrote:
    This may be a silly question, but then again theres no such thing as a silly question. I just started playing guitar and bought a Marshall Amp with a distortion channel. Since my Amp has a distortion setting is there any reason I would want a distortion pedal?

Yes. You may want a distortion pedal that will give you a different sounding distortion than your Marshall. Check out some pedals and try them out through Marshall amps similar to yours, that way you can notice the difference. Some distortions are more distorted, some are "creamier", some "muddier"... you'll know.

If you're at least satisfied with the Marshall's distortion, I wouldn't rush to get a pedal just yet.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • jsk175jsk175 Posts: 70
    Yes. You may want a distortion pedal that will give you a different sounding distortion than your Marshall. Check out some pedals and try them out through Marshall amps similar to yours, that way you can notice the difference. Some distortions are more distorted, some are "creamier", some "muddier"... you'll know.

If you're at least satisfied with the Marshall's distortion, I wouldn't rush to get a pedal just yet.

Thank you that is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I think the first pedal I will get is a Wah pedal anyway, but at least now I know that I can still check out distortion pedals since they will be different then whats on the Amp. Bye the way in case anyone is interested, I love the Amp its a Marshall MD30 DFX. I would recomend it to any beginner.
    Thanks Again
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    And then some . . .
    Depending on the type of Marshall amp you have, the distortion/OD might really suck (especially
    if it's one of their cheaper solid state amps, which honestly sounds nothing like a tube Marshall).
    There are many tonal colors of OD pedals available that might suit your taste better than stock.
    If you're into Pearl Jam (you're here so I guess you are), check out Mike McCready's pedals.
    This will give you an idea of what he's used: click: MIKE MCCREADY'S PEDAL BOARD
    Take special note of the small light blue Boss BD-2 Blues Driver and small green Ibanez TS9 Tube
    Screamer - Look those pedals up, they're a really good start for OverDrive/Distortion pedals.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Sounds like you are at the beginning of the road.
    Amps like yours are made to be simple and user-friendly, and they are Adding a distortion pedal isn't going to do much for you, just a distraction form the real business of playing.
    A wah is definitely a better idea, because it is the only thing that does what it does, and good wah technique takes time to develop, so getting started sooner is better than later.
    Working on your playing is a better approach than getting all caught up in the gear game.
    If you read enough comments on the gear page, you realise that most guys end up with way less effects at the end of the day, and focus on their playing.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • jsk175jsk175 Posts: 70
    Sounds like you are at the beginning of the road.
    Amps like yours are made to be simple and user-friendly, and they are Adding a distortion pedal isn't going to do much for you, just a distraction form the real business of playing.
    A wah is definitely a better idea, because it is the only thing that does what it does, and good wah technique takes time to develop, so getting started sooner is better than later.
    Working on your playing is a better approach than getting all caught up in the gear game.
    If you read enough comments on the gear page, you realise that most guys end up with way less effects at the end of the day, and focus on their playing.

Yeah thats great advice and thats exactly where Im at. I've been playing for close to two years, but am nowhere near ready for tons of effects. To been honest I end up playing my accoustic more than anything. The great thing is that Im a little older and am not playing guitar for any other reason than pure self amussment. Im not trying to be in a band, or impress chicks, I just simply enjoy playing, so I figure I have lotst of time to play. I think I will get a Wah pedal for my electric though. Sounds like that would be the most practical pedal to go with. Thanks again for the help!
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    Wow, is Mike using a Keeley modded BD-2?

And since when did he move from a DM-3 to DM-2?
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Dogman3 wrote:
    Wow, is Mike using a Keeley modded BD-2?

And since when did he move from a DM-3 to DM-2?
    This is from a couple years ago, but yes he uses both a Keeley Modded BD-2 & TS9.
    Delay-wise he mostly uses the DL4 - I don't know when he started using the DM2.
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • bobbyd3bobbyd3 Posts: 89
    Get your self a graphic Equalizer pedal to start with.

If you are just starting out playing a Wah-Wah is a ways off, you really need to learn how to play before you get into effects pedals.
  • jmccue7jmccue7 Posts: 119
    save up and buy a barber small fry. one of the most versatile pedals out there.
    or go get a Greedtone like mike
    Merriweather '00
    East Troy '03
    Boston I '04
    Pittsburgh '06
    Lollapalooza '07
    DC '08
    MSG I & II '08
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I also highly recommend the Tube Screamer and the Blues Driver. Also, get a boss chromatic tuning pedal as well. The only other pedals I use on my board other that those three is a Boss EQ pedal and a Crybaby Wah Pedal. I play through a Fender 4X10 Blues Deville or a standard 4X10 Deville most of the time and these pedals work great with those amps.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Blues driver could be one of the most versatile pedals out there. Soft overdrive to screaming distortion. I love mine.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • It depends there is a big difference between distortion and overdrive. I would recommend starting out doing some research on true bypass switching and analog effects verses digital. Trust me if you do all of this research 1st you will save yourself a tone of cash. I myself prefer analog true bypass effects. There is this monster out there known as the Tone Sucker and he only shows up when yo play non true bypassed or digital effects!! No but seriously do some research on your own and find the stuff that you really like then get some opinions on it to make sure it lives up to the hype or price tag in some cases. Good Luck!
    Makes much more sense.................
    To Live......................
    In the present tense.