Orange Amps

OUTHOUSEOUTHOUSE Posts: 39
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Can anyone tell me about them..

Im trying to get a Kyuss, The Sword, Clutch type tone. Any suggestions. I play with a les paul standard.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    man are you into the stoner rock scene?

Kyuss and clutch are fucking awesome
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    Kyuss eh??

Sorry Brisky I've never heard of 'em....what should I check out??
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
    Kyuss eh??

Sorry Brisky I've never heard of 'em....what should I check out??

yeh they are awesome

absouloutely incredible

if you got a messaging program, check my profiel and add me, i'll hook you up
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    I BrisK I wrote:
    yeh they are awesome

absouloutely incredible

if you got a messaging program, check my profiel and add me, i'll hook you up

I've got you on msn already bro....lol. :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
    if you wanna sound like Kyuss

Drop c
    Heavy sound
    Try playing through a bass guitar amp

i dont play guitar but someone told me that
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    If you want the "Orange sound", you should look for an old OD120, or possibly a Matamp. While the new Orange amps sound incredible, they are a bit different than the circuits used by Tim Sult. If I remember correctly, he had an OD120 back in the day. It has that great "foggy" tone.
  • DirtLikeMeDirtLikeMe Posts: 91
    Orange amp/cabs are great!!! I have the 2x12 cabinet of theirs loaded with CV30's.

To sound like the bands you listed there are several things you need.
    1) A cab or amp that can make the ground rumble: orange's are good at this, but you may well find that other amps are just as equally capable of doing the same. I know that The Sword use Marshall and Laney amps. http://www.swordofdoom.com/arsenal.html
    2) Distortion/Fuzz: a silicon type fuzz is probably the best option for this as they tend to be a little nastier. (This is for the Josh Homme Kyuss sound). As a side note, I do know that Homme would turn down the tone knob on his guitar to get that drone-ish sound. But what may suit your needs better is a high gain amp with just a tube screamer in front. I know this is the set-up that metal band Mastodon (one of Jeff Ament's current favorite bands, and locals from my hometown) used on their first 3 albums.
    3) Thick strings tuned down to C. If you have .009 on your guitar then you are not going to get the sound.
    And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    DirtLikeMe wrote:
    Orange amp/cabs are great!!! I have the 2x12 cabinet of theirs loaded with CV30's.

3) Thick strings tuned down to C. If you have .009 on your guitar then you are not going to get the sound.

The man speaketh the truth...eth. The lightest I'd go would be 11's...but you better get friendly with 13's if you want maximum oomph.
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    If the sounds you seek can be made by an Orange, these guys will tell you how to do it: http://www.orangeamps.com/forumtest/default.asp
  • Can't remember the guy from Clutch's orange head, but he also uses a JTM 45 alot. Still had one on stage in the latest tour, even though the orange wasn't on stage. But you can still hear that orange on the albums.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/