How often do you change your strings?

moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Just curious. I changed mine at the beginning of the month on my acoustic and when I was playing last night it just sounded off. Can't explain it. I was thinking maybe its time to change them. I play for a good 30 minutes to an hour every night for practice. I use Martin M150 Mediums. Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Yes, I change my strings eveyr 2-3 weeks or before a gig.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    With regular playing, strings do wear down in about a month. However, some people like strings with a broken in feel. It depends on the way you want the strings to sound and the guitar.

It is not uncommon to need to change strings after a month, but it can get costly. Have you tried cleaning the strings... that can remove some of the buildup that can muffle the brightness you might be missing.

Also, some days my guitars just sound different. I don't know if it is my ears, the weather, or what.

enjoy
    There's No Code.
  • Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    I usually just change them when I notice that they are sounding like shit. No real regular timing
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    How and with what would I go about cleaning them?

I'm not too worried about cost as I got a ten pack of strings for like $25 or $30 from musiciansfriend.com.

The really weird thing is when I first started playing last night everything sounded fine. As the time wore on it just sounded worse and worse. Maybe it was just me and not the guitar.
  • Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    yeah, I'd suggest restringing it.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Cleaning strings should be done with lighter fluid and a clean cloth.
    For more info then you will know what to do with and the best strings ever check out Dean Farley's website:
    sobstrings.net

I used GHS Boomers for a long time and usually had to change strings every week or couple days because I was breaking them so often on my strat. I swapped out the bridge for Callaham parts and I was still breaking the high E. Dean hooked me up with his vintage nickel's and my problem was solved, my strings last for months now, no tone degradation and a lot less frustration. He has acoustic sets, rock sets and the only real deal nickels available, plus he is just one great guy. There are about 25 articles on his site which I think everyone can benefit from, so check them out.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I use GHS boomers, too. I clean my wipe my guitar down everyday before and after I play it. I can't stand the feel of dirty strings though.

JofZ, where on that site can you order strings? I read the website about the rock formula one, and I must admit, I am interested.
    I use GHS boomers, too. I clean my wipe my guitar down everyday before and after I play it. I can't stand the feel of dirty strings though.

JofZ, where on that site can you order strings? I read the website about the rock formula one, and I must admit, I am interested.
    you can order directly from the site, or contact Dean at leomuser@aol.com, this is his AIM as well and he is online now.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    thanks for reminding me that i gotta change the strings on my tele this weekend! my new bands got its first gig this monday night at a local battle of the bands contest. (feels like bill and teds bogus journey : first gig, battle of the bands etc) Its all original material kinda psychedelic indy stoner rock kinda thing.... if you imagine the smiths meets screaming trees, the cure and queens of the stone age then you`ll probably be rather close in a kinda nowhere near it way haha.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • unless i have some gig where i need to sound great i don't worry much about it.. every couple months.. if you want to keep sounding great though, every 3-4 weeks maybe.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • desandrewsdesandrews Posts: 143
    I try to swap out once every month or two. Definitely wipe down with the terry(sp?) cloth after each session and my girlfriend bought me some string restoration liquid stuff. She probably got it from Guitar Center but it looked like pretty typical stuff that you could find about anywhere.
    desandrews wrote:
    I try to swap out once every month or two. Definitely wipe down with the terry(sp?) cloth after each session and my girlfriend bought me some string restoration liquid stuff. She probably got it from Guitar Center but it looked like pretty typical stuff that you could find about anywhere.
    Don't use that stuff seriously, good old light fluid is by far the best.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• WhiteMaleRatWhiteMaleRat Posts: 301
    I've go an old beat up acoustic that I learned over a year ago. It has nylon strings. Never changed them or cleaned them! sounds OK still but maybe I should try to change them.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• moster78 wrote:
    Just curious. I changed mine at the beginning of the month on my acoustic and when I was playing last night it just sounded off. Can't explain it. I was thinking maybe its time to change them. I play for a good 30 minutes to an hour every night for practice. I use Martin M150 Mediums. Thanks in advance!

I get about a good month out of the Martin MSP4100 Lights on my Acoustic's. They have a great feel and keep the sound longer than other strings I've used, I could probably stretch it into 6 maybe 8 weeks out of the strings but usually 4-5 I just do it anyway. What can I say, I like changing the strings, gives me good practice.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    So I went home tonight to play for awhile, a good half hour and everything sounded better. So I guess it was just me last night, and not the guitars fault. Although sometimes it is easier to blame the guitar and not me. So I can save myself the hassle of changing my strings for another day!

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I can't wait to ask everyone their opinion when I get ready to buy my first electric, which should be by year's end.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i change 'em when they break.

or rust...
  • SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    I didn't change my stringds for ages and i broke the 'D' string last night. It was great, i am looking to snap an 'A' pretty soon. Then, there is only one left......and then i move on the bass guitar ;)

When i have cash, i change them every month. Sounds shweet when you change them though.
  • sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    when they sound blunt against the frets
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo