Newbie question on an acoustic

moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey everyone, maybe you can help me out with this. Although I've owned an acoustic for over 4 years, I just finally got around to taking lessons and actually learning how to play. I ordered some stuff online for my guitar, like strings, some picks, a tool kit and new brass bridge pins.

I threw the bridge pins in last night, without changing the strings, retuned it and went to play it sounded a whole different than I thought it would. Is this normal? The old pins were just plastic. I'm sure in time I'll get used to it, just as I did the first time the strings were changed for the first time since I had the thing. I just want to make sure I didn't screw anything up as I'm really enjoying learning to play.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reusing strings is a no-no. restring it and see how it sounds. i don't know about the brass pins.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I didn't take the strings out. I just loosened the strings, popped out the pins, put in the new ones, tightened it up and retuned. No good?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i believe the brass pins would have an impact on tone. there's nothing wrong though at all.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Since the brass is much harder than the plastic you replaced, the bridge pins are now transfering a lot more energy directly into the soundboard (top of the guitar). It's probably a lot brighter, right? Maybe a tad louder?

I've never gone with brass pins before, for this very reason. I like a VERY mellow acoustic tone. Like, good strings that have aged for about 3 months, that mellow.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    it will give you a much different sound
    No one is Righteous.......
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Definitely brighter and louder. Not sure how much I like it at the moment, but probably because I'm just used to the way it used to sound.

I also went ahead and changed the strings too, good thing as one snapped when I accidentally tightened it a little instead of loosening it off the post. I've never changed them myself before, and damn, it was a pain in the ass. I almost thought I completely ruined one or two while I was doing it, but I think its all good now. Not sure. I have a lesson this afternoon, I'll see what my teacher says about my restringing job, and tone.

Thanks again everyone!