First Time Playing Out

moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
OK, so I need a bit of advice, or maybe just some words of encouragement. I've been taking guitar lessons weekly since June of last year and I'd like to think I'm progressing nicely, and my New Year's resolution was to definitely take learning to play more a priority and take it a lot more seriously.

My guitar teacher is in a cover band that plays out in my area every so often. I've checked them out once or twice and while its good music, its a cover band, how bad can they be, really, my teacher kicks ass. I knew he was good jsut from the snippets he demonstrates in my lessons, but the guy can play. Its good to know my $20 a week isn't going to waste.

So at the end of my lesson last week, I wanted to go over something I'd been trying to figure out, and after he tabbed it out for me and we played it slowly I said, "Seems simple enough, I think I can get it down with some practice," to which he replied, "Think you can get it in the next month?" Basically he offered to let me join his band onstage for a tune.

Now, its not the hardest song in the world, Green Day's "American Idiot," but I've never played in front of anyone but my teacher, my parents, brothers, 3 or 4 friends at once and my dog (and if his reaction is any indication, I suck!). So while I'm honored that he thinks I'm good enough to play a tune with him and his band, I'm scared to death at the idea of getting up in front of a bunch of people and playing, but also excited at the chance to rock out as well.

I was just curious if anyone has some words of wisdom, advice, encouragement or a story of your first time playing in front of a crowd for me. Thankfully its about a month away, and if I can't learn the solo to that song (I have the verses and chorus down, like I said, simple song) I should probably turn my gear over to someone who can really use it!

Thanks in advance everyone!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    let's put it this way:

i'm too chickenshit to even take lessons and i've played solo shows and open mics.

you'll be fine. :)

just run through it with them a few times before the show if possible and just enjoy yourself. playing loud with others will assuage all fears.
  • My advice honestly is just go for it man. You'll be fine. People love watching bands play. Just have your amp and guitar set up to where you're comfortable and you'll be fine. The only thing I would say is try not to stare at your guitar neck. Look at the people you're playing to and just have fun with it. If you make a mistake just let it go and keep going. EVERYBODY messes up onstage in some way. So don't let it get to you or make you freeze up.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I don't really have any advice to give, but I can tell you, don't be nervous. Easier said than done I know, but once you get on stage you'll be fine. First time I ever played in front of people with my first band, we were all shittin ourselves beforehand. When we went up on stage though it was completely different. We just ripped into the set and fuckin nailed it (except for when the amp blew :() It was a great experience, and I've no doubt it'll be any different for you.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. After my lesson yesterday my teacher suggested that since I'll be dragging all of my gear out there, I might as well play a few more tunes. So instead of messing up one song, I'll have the chance to screw up more! I think along with American Idiot, I'm going to attempt Weezer's Hash Pipe, Jimmy Eat Worlds The Middle and maybe a Blink 182 song or two, like Dammit or All The Small Things. Simple songs, short and sweet.

So needless to say, I'm a little more terrified, but I know I just need to apply myself and I'll be fine. Question though, is a 15 Watt tube amp loud enough for a small bar or club type setting? My teacher said they could mic it up if need be. I know the thing gets loud, so I'm just curious.

Thanks again everyone.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    that should be fun.

it should be loud enough. but if they can mic it too, there's nothing to worry about.
  • my guitar teacher is nuts...like seriously i think hes Jason Becker TWO

hes in a half cover band half original band...this one song was just him shredding for 4 minutes...it was rediculous, now im like honored to have him

u gotta see him too...hes like a 45 year old guy with long curly grey hair

i know you live near me...if you want let me know where it is and when it is and i may come by...and if u want i can bring my 40 watt tube amp just incase...
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    exhausted wrote:
    that should be fun.

it should be loud enough. but if they can mic it too, there's nothing to worry about.

Yeah, the thing can crank a little louder than I thought. I turned it up to like 4 or 5 for a second yesterday and couldn't believe how loud it got. I think I'll be fine, sound wise, still not sure of the playing! One month to go, I can do it!
  • Congratulations!
    Your teacher is great for that. He's giving you a gift of getting up on stage and giving it a go!

If it's your first time, just let it rip and have a good time! Remember that if you get lost in the middle, it's better to back off and not play than it is to try to fumble around and find yourself. Just hang back and wait till you're at a point in the song that you can hop back in. You'll be fine and you're going to have a great time. Take some deep breaths, you'll be nervous, but that's ok.

15 watts should be fine, and you want to use an amp that's familiar to you. One thing to watch though, what seems loud when you crank it up now may get lost in the mix when the drums and bass kick in on stage and you won't hear it.
    If they have to mike it, make sure that they get you into a stage monitor so you can hear yourself. If they do a sound check, definitely be there for it and hop up on stage and see if you can hear yourself. It can be confusing at first to be on stage and not be able to hear your own voice and guitar. It'll be good practice for you to hear your guitar come from a monitor and not from your amp. :cool:

The other thing you can do if they're not miking your amp, is to get your amp on a stand, or up high, so that you're right in front and it's aiming at your head. If it's at your feet, you may not hear it.
    You're ankles'll hear it fine, though! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

If it's your first time, just let it rip and have a good time! Remember that if you get lost in the middle, it's better to back off and not play than it is to try to fumble around and find yourself. Just hang back and wait till you're at a point in the song that you can hop back in. You'll be fine and you're going to have a great time. Take some deep breaths, you'll be nervous, but that's ok.

15 watts should be fine, and you want to use an amp that's familiar to you. One thing to watch though, what seems loud when you crank it up now may get lost in the mix when the drums and bass kick in on stage and you won't hear it.
    If they have to mike it, make sure that they get you into a stage monitor so you can hear yourself. If they do a sound check, definitely be there for it and hop up on stage and see if you can hear yourself. It can be confusing at first to be on stage and not be able to hear your own voice and guitar. It'll be good practice for you to hear your guitar come from a monitor and not from your amp. :cool:

The other thing you can do if they're not miking your amp, is to get your amp on a stand, or up high, so that you're right in front and it's aiming at your head. If it's at your feet, you may not hear it.
    You're ankles'll hear it fine, though! :D

Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice. I know I'm going to be scared to death, and what I would normally do in that situation is just get good and buzzed or drunk, but that tends to kill ones ability to play, so thats out of the question.

Its a small stage, so I'm not even sure there will be monitors, but I'm pretty sure they could mike my amp and add it to the mix.
    Time to resurrect my own thread!

The original gig date got postponed, and now it's coming up again, t-minus 1 week! Friday, April 28th. Anyone in the Long Island area that wants to check it out, its at the Brickhouse Brewery in Patchougue, slated to start at like 10 PM, with a $5 cover.

I had a really good rehearsal/lesson with my teacher during the week, so I feel a lot better about what I'm playing than I did at this time last week. During my lesson this week I'm bringing in my amp, guitars, pedals and whatnot to find the settings for optimum tone for each song. So far the definites are Green Day's "American Idiot", Weezer's "Hash Pipe", and possibly The Clash "Should I Stay Or Should I Go." Although my teacher said that any tune I was comfortable playing I was more than welcome to join in. I honestly think that 2 or 3 is plenty, for now!

Anyway, rock on!
  • nickydeannickydean Posts: 40
    You are going to do fine, just remember one thing if you do mess up.

DON'T MAKE A BIG DEAL ABOUT IT.

I've messed up on stage many times before, and let me tell you, if you just make light of it and move on - no one will really care. In fact, I almost enjoy it when there are slight mistakes in a live concert, makes it a bit more human.

Take, for instance, 05-03-03 State College, PA. Stone steps up to the mic to play "Mankind", and totally screws the opening guitar riff up. The whole band stops, and Stone just smiles and says, "Do you want me to try this again?" It was a great moment.

Sure, he's been playing for decades, and he has legions of fans that wil worship his every move, but the idea still applies.

Make light of your mistakes, and everything will be fine.

That is, if you even make a mistake. You'll knock 'em dead, one guitarist to another.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    hope it goes well, just played my first show last night, it was a gas
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
    Thanks again fellas. T-minus two days and counting.

I actually rehearsed with the band last night, which was really interesting. It was at a pretty decent studio with some nice gear. I was playing through a MESA amp and cab that was loud as hell, even with the volume on my guitar turned down to 2 or 3. It was definitely interesting playing with a full band, at the most its been me and my roommate on guitar, no drums or bass or vocals. My ears are still ringing a little from it!

We ran through the tunes, and I only messed up once, that was noticeable. They're playing a three set show and I'm taking it as a show of tremendous faith in me that they're letting me join them in the second set. The first always sucks, according to them, and by the third, the crowd will have waned and will probably be wasted. But they said I did good, and now I'm more psyched then nervous. I'm sure as Friday approaches that'll shift a bit.
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    this is really cool of your teacher to put together.

he wouldnt be doing it if he didnt think you were ready for this kind of step.

good luck,cant wait to hear how it went.
  • The only time I have ever been really nervous was when I wasnt prepared.
    After those first few times of that...I made sure to always at least know MY parts so as a drummer...if something went south, at least I could keep the band together till it came around again.
    We have turned down shows because we need to practice and didnt feel confident about the songs yet.

Just be prepared and it will all be good.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    There's other incentives too. Started dating this girl around the time I first got up on stage and it really impressed her. Now we're in love. Go for the gold!
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    There'll be a bit of nervousness when you first go up, but if you're prepared, it will go away after the first chord.

I've played lots of shows and I always fuck up little things. You (the guitarist) is the only one who notices. I try to be particular about my playing so that I play to my maximum potential.

You should be just fine, and it should be a lot of fun.

Good luck!
    Novawind wrote:
    There's other incentives too. Started dating this girl around the time I first got up on stage and it really impressed her. Now we're in love. Go for the gold!

I know! I already invited a girl I have my eye on. I figure what better way to impress her than to get on stage and rock the hell out of the place?

Thanks again for the words of encouragement. I know this tuff cold, so I'm not worried about that. I know once I get up there and get going, I'll be fine. I just have to make sure I'm not stiff and rigid, but I think once I get into it I'[ll be OK. And, have to make sure to look away from the neck and strings too and actually look into the crowd.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    moster78 wrote:
    I know! I already invited a girl I have my eye on. I figure what better way to impress her than to get on stage and rock the hell out of the place?

Thanks again for the words of encouragement. I know this tuff cold, so I'm not worried about that. I know once I get up there and get going, I'll be fine. I just have to make sure I'm not stiff and rigid, but I think once I get into it I'[ll be OK. And, have to make sure to look away from the neck and strings too and actually look into the crowd.

Try to maintain a balance of being comfortable and moving, and playing to the best of your ability. If it means you'll be stiller than you'd like, then whatever. I used to be stiff as a friggin' rock up on stage, but after a few shows, it's much easier to loosen up and rock out. You should be awesome though. :)
    Try to maintain a balance of being comfortable and moving, and playing to the best of your ability. If it means you'll be stiller than you'd like, then whatever. I used to be stiff as a friggin' rock up on stage, but after a few shows, it's much easier to loosen up and rock out. You should be awesome though. :)

Thanks, when I practice by myself I try to move as much as possible, as long as it doesn't cause me to mess up. But when I was rehearsing the other day I was just stiff as hell and staring at the neck and strings way too much. I was also afraid of hitting into the bass player who I was right behind, so maybe that had something to do with it. I guess its just trying to find the right balance of sounding good, but looking good doing it.
    Tonights the night! I'm psyched and nervous at the same time. But no turning back or punking out now. If anyone is from the Long Island area and wants to check it out, its at 10 PM at the Brickhouse Brewery in Patchogue. Cover charge is like $5 or $10, not sure. Be back with details, and hopefully pics and video tomorrow! Rock on!
  • Bor HBor H Posts: 25
    Good luck. As long as you are prepared nothing can throw you out of your riff/groove whatever.. You'll be just fine. Just don't think everybody will look at you ;)
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    Back in grade 8 when I still played guitar and had my own band we played in front of our school. We were pretty good at the time...espicially for only being like 13. But my guitar teacher at the time arranged everything for us. We played Wild Thing. We went to his house and told us what to do and everything which helped. But shit, right before we played thats probably the most nervous I have ever been in my life. But once you hit the first note the feeling goes away.
    Holy crap, playing live, with a band, in front of a crowded bar full of people is such a high. It was an amazing experience... now I want to do it again!

I will admit I was beyond terrified for the 30 minutes prior to me going on stage, and even up there I was scared out of my mind. But once I go into it and got going, I had a blast. Sure I made a few mistakes, at least one or two per song, but I don't think anyone noticed and I didn't panic and freeze up, I just kept playing, especially when I botched the simple solo's I was doing. I nearly dropped my pick in the second song, and recovered and starting playing it sideways for a few seconds before I could shift it. I did drop my pick, twice, once in each of the last two songs. Good thing I had like ten in my pocket. I was never a boy scout, but I always try to be be prepared. All in all it was a fantastic experience and has definitely made the past year of playing and gear purchases well worth it.

My brother got some video of it with his digital camera. Three things though. One, his camera would only do 30 seconds clips at a time. I had no idea it would do that, so afterwards I basically cut together the clips to form as complete a song as I could. So it kind of skips 10 seconds of a tune here and there. Two, he was standing pretty damn close to the PA speaker, so it kind of overpowered the weak mic in the camera and it sounds pretty bad in spots, but you can still make it out. Three, the lead singer. You'll see.

The videos are kind of slow to load, so patience.

And thanks again everyone for their advice and well wishes!

Without further ado, here you go, just click the Brickhouse Brewery link to download each video:

http://homepage.mac.com/moster78/Menu28.html

(And check out my dog too if you want to, he's an adorable pain in the ass!)
    Site updated with some pics from the evening.

Now I so want to get a band together, if nothing to just jam and mess around. Anyone know any newbie drummers in the Long Island area?
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    A newbie drummer could hurt your skils. Make sure he can keep constant time and doesnt try to get flashier than what he can and sound good. Thats really the key to musicianship.

Play within your abilities and you will be fine. Play with people who are as good or better than you.

And don't get an ego about your skills.
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    A newbie drummer could hurt your skils. Make sure he can keep constant time and doesnt try to get flashier than what he can and sound good. Thats really the key to musicianship.

Play within your abilities and you will be fine. Play with people who are as good or better than you.

And don't get an ego about your skills.

I see your point. I just don't want to have the guy think I'm wasting his time. My roommate plays guitar, and bass, and can actually sing, so those bases are covered. He's been at it for about 4 years, me just one. Trust me, no ego here!
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    moster78 wrote:
    I see your point. I just don't want to have the guy think I'm wasting his time. My roommate plays guitar, and bass, and can actually sing, so those bases are covered. He's been at it for about 4 years, me just one. Trust me, no ego here!

I am just speakin from personal experience. The rhythm section that I play with is one of the best rhythm sections around, and the lead guitar player is pretty damn good, and they make me raise the bar.

If you guys have some songs learned together, you should be able to pull in a good enough drummer. Put some ads in music shops and the like.

I have played a gig a month since September and it never gets old. I am always nervous, but that is just kinda who I am, but right before we head to the gig I make sure to get good and stoned.
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I am just speakin from personal experience. The rhythm section that I play with is one of the best rhythm sections around, and the lead guitar player is pretty damn good, and they make me raise the bar.

If you guys have some songs learned together, you should be able to pull in a good enough drummer. Put some ads in music shops and the like.

I have played a gig a month since September and it never gets old. I am always nervous, but that is just kinda who I am, but right before we head to the gig I make sure to get good and stoned.

Yeah, my roommate and I need to sit down and figure out what we want. There's really decent rehearsal space, with some nice equipment pretty close to us. Hopefully we'll be able to find some people to jam with, maybe book a gig. I'm definitely hooked after only 10 minutes up there!