Pickup Covers

moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
OK, according to UPS I should have my Teal SG delivered to me tomorrow. I bought a set of pickup covers as I'm not a fan of the open coil look. How the hell do I attach them to the pickups? I thought there'd be a screw hole or something, but there isn't. Do they need to be soldered on? I haven't handled a soldering iron since junior high, which was like 15 years ago!

Once again, thanks in advance!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Congratulations on another guitar, man!

Well, the covers get soldered on. You have to remember that the cover will change the tone of the pickups, too. The pickup will sound mellower and have less treble with a cover on, so see how the guitar sounds first without!
    All humbuckers had covers on them till Jeff Beck had his taken off to get more bite out of them in the 60's olden days of yore,,,,, that I guess I was around for! :D

If you decide to solder them on, then you may consider taking it to a tech if you're not a solderer,erer :) You don't want to overheat the coils, or blob too much solder and have it bleed to the copper coils. That would not make you or your guitar happy! ;)

I'd say, play it first before you put the cover on.

Have fun playing that SG!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=145757

If you end up getting covers, let me know where from because no where near me has them, I've checked everywhere??
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Thanks for the reply Bob! I played a SG Special at GC a few weeks ago and loved the sound, I just hate the look of the open pickup. I'll play around with it for a few days before I bring it in. I'll probably want to get it setup as well, so maybe I'll just have whoever does that throw the pickup covers on as well, if I go that route.

Thumbing, I got the covers already from Musicians friend:

Neck Cover:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Replacement/Parts?sku=360930

Bridge Cover:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=360931

In your choice of chrome, nickel or gold!

And according to UPS, its out for delivery. Too bad I'll have to go through a whole day of it work with it just sitting there in my office, begging to be played!
  • I've wondered though.....will they fit on an Epiphone SG??
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I've wondered though.....will they fit on an Epiphone SG??

I would think so.