Les Paul

moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Not sure if this is gear related or not, but couldn't think where else to post it.

I just got two tickets for my friend and myself to go see Les Paul play at the Iridium Jazz Club in NYC. He does two sets with his trio every Monday night. I'm psyched beyond belief to see the legend in person. Anyone else ever get the chance to check him out? I figured since he's getting up there in age it would be a good to see him while I still had the chance.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    moster78 wrote:
    Not sure if this is gear related or not, but couldn't think where else to post it.

I just got two tickets for my friend and myself to go see Les Paul play at the Iridium Jazz Club in NYC. He does two sets with his trio every Monday night. I'm psyched beyond belief to see the legend in person. Anyone else ever get the chance to check him out? I figured since he's getting up there in age it would be a good to see him while I still had the chance.

I would love to see him and I think you are in for a treat. At his age I am so impressed with his eagerness to perform. A true legend!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • He must be about 610 now! Wow, have fun!
  • My music history teacher (a young guy maybe 27) got to hang out at Les' house after a benefit show in Boston a few years ago. He says once you get past the fact that you're hangout out with Les Paul, you see that he a real down to Earth guy with a lot to offer still.

He's got this picture of him and Les, with each of them holding an original Les Paul Custom. It's appropriately labeled "Me and 3 Les Pauls".

:)
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    So last night was the night. All I can say about Les Paul is this, he looks like if you tapped him the wrong way you'd break him, his hands look so gnarled and wracked by arthritis I don't know how he manages to fret the strings, but damn can the guy still play. It was one hell of an enjoyable evening. He's a funny little guy too, making fun of his replacement bass player for most of the evening. He played a country song from when he first got started out and joked about how weird it was to strum a G chord in a jazz club.

I couldn't even tell you about the gear he was using though, as the only thing "Les Paul" like about his guitar was the body, neck and headstock. Everything else looked like it was heavily modified. His rhthym guitarist too. Anyone who happens to be in NYC on a Monday night definitely needs to check him out before its too late!
  • Absolutely! :cool:

I saw him last year, then we went up this summer to see him right after he turned 90.
    I start a thread here every once in a while to go see him,,, so I 'm glad you did now!

I bought a 1957 Les Paul in 1965, my first guitar, and played all my life, even watched the Les Paul and Mary Ford show on black and white tv when I was a kid.

Just to see him walk out is just amazing. So much history, and so many great inventions. Jimmy Page must get up and look out the window every morning and thank Les for the Les Paul Guitar, the reverb, the tape delay,, all Les's doing! :D

He still plays well, too,,, it almost hurts me to watch, because I know he must be aching, but his show is a lot of fun. Andy Summer walked on last year when I saw him, and jammed with Les.

You're right, Moster!

Go see Les Paul if you can!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Don't forget the whole concept of an electric guitar pickup, solid-body electrics, and multi-track recording...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    He still plays well, too,,, it almost hurts me to watch, because I know he must be aching, but his show is a lot of fun.

Yeah, you can tell it must hurt him to play, but the look on his face is that of pure joy. Some guy in the front row went to take a photo of him and he gave him the finger just as he was about to snap the shot and started cracking up. Later he borrowed someone's napkin to blow his nose, offered to give it back to whoever he borrowed it from autographed.