NIN and Gear Destruction

moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been a longtime fan of NIN and I've always known for the propensity to destroy their gear during or at the end of a performance, but after seeing them last night at the Garden, it was definitely entertaining, and in someways painful to see them do it. Up close and personal too, I was directly on the guitarists side, maybe 10 rows back, if that. Great view.

The mic stand throwing and the occasional knocking over of am amp I expected. After the first song or two Trent just chucked/slide his guitar behind the stage towards the drum kit. They closed off with Head Like A Hole, and when it was all said and done, the guitarist was standing on top of the keyboard stand, knocked that over. Trent threw his guitar at least twenty feet in the air with reckless abandon, and then proceeded to smash the drums with a mic stand. The best, and yet most painful, was once the keyboards were knocked over, the guitarist took his Black Fat Strat and bashed the shit out of it against the keyboards until both were decimated. Keys went flying and some lucky fan in the front of the pit got the courtesy of having the Strat's body tossed to them. Nice souvenir.

The funniest was that all the while this was going on, the bassist just gently puts his bass on the stage and walks away.

Great show. Anyone else go? Best show I've seen all year next to Pearl Jam in Montreal.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it's sad. so much gear.

they've been auctioning off the broken husks of trent's dean evos for charity.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    exhausted wrote:
    it's sad. so much gear.

I saw that. I think they can add one or two more after last night. what a way to end the show though.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    it's sad. so much gear.

Dean Evo's should be given away, for firewood.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Dean Evo's should be given away, for firewood.

Would explain why he has no issue with tossing one up 20 feet in the air with reckless abandon. Although my acoustic is a Dean and it served me well.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    moster78 wrote:
    Would explain why he has no issue with tossing one up 20 feet in the air with reckless abandon. Although my acoustic is a Dean and it served me well.

I was being silly, Dean makes fine stuff. I bet your Dean and my Fender Acoustics were made int he same factory over in Korea.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I was being silly, Dean makes fine stuff. I bet your Dean and my Fender Acoustics were made int he same factory over in Korea.

I figured, but I'm sure he feels better about trashing a Dean than the Les Paul's I've seen them use a lot in the past. Although seeing that Fender get annihilated was half joy and half heartbreak.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    trent claims to not care about guitars. a guitar's a guitar to him.

which sorta irked me until i remember that, with the level of processing he does, it really doesn't matter what he's playing.
  • I was at last night's show, my seats were the section above yours, 220, row D. Fantastic show!! The whole 'let's destroy the gear' was hilarious.
  • lmao.

awesome :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"