Looking for a small, portable practice amp

moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
So while my amp, a Fender Blues Junior, is great, at 30 pounds, its just not portable. I take my guitar to my parents house every weekend and hate that there's nothing for me to plug into, so I'm debating getting a small and highly portable practice amp.

In my guitar lessons I usually plug into a little Roland Micro Cube and was debating that, as it sounds pretty decent. I was just curious if anyone had any other suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The micro cube is a great choice. Cheap available, easily portable.

You could also go with one of the smokey (cigarette pack) amps they are cheap and portable and battery powered.

The good old Pignose is still around too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Roland Microcube!

I have one and I love that thing just for fooling around.
    It also has a line out, and if you put it into a speaker cabinet, it bypasses the little speaker, it sounds pretty incredible for that tiny thing. The effects sound good through a cabinet!

I like my little 1/2 watt amp once the bugs are worked out (In JofZ's thread about cabinet and no amp), but it still needs a cabinet to go with it.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I'm leaning towards the cube. Its a little more pricey, but it looks like you get a little more for your money.
    the cube is great,

here is smokey for reference.

http://www.smokeyamps.com/
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    here is smokey for reference.

http://www.smokeyamps.com/

I saw that on MF and couldn't believe that it was actually an amp, complete with a speaker.
    moster78 wrote:
    I saw that on MF and couldn't believe that it was actually an amp, complete with a speaker.

not only that, you can actually drive a 4x12 cab with it. I've done it before, the Lovepedal one will sound much better in that application though. It's crazy. I want to get one just to carry in my truck, so I can wank at lunch. The cube is perfect for damn near everything though of that nature.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Roland all the way. There is no other amp that has that kind of tone for the money. So many people I know have them and the benefits far out weigh any negatives. Besides if you ever upgrade you aren't out much cash. I play with a couple guys and that is their only amp.

I haven't played a Lovepedal 1/2 watt but the more I hear about it the more I like it. This may be your ticket, but you will have to carry a cab and I have't heard any clean tones out of one yet. You could run both and have a nice cheap portable rig IMO.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    JofZ wrote:
    Roland all the way. There is no other amp that has that kind of tone for the money. So many people I know have them and the benefits far out weigh any negatives. Besides if you ever upgrade you aren't out much cash. I play with a couple guys and that is their only amp.

I think I'm going to go with the Roland. At 7 pounds, and all the features it just makes the most sense. I still have a $10 off coupon from when I opened my GC card to pay for all my gear, and a little postcard from the manager good for 1 free guitar cable or set of strings with $15 purchase. I should be all set to jam on the go and not have to lug around a 30+ pound amp.
    moster78 wrote:
    I think I'm going to go with the Roland. At 7 pounds, and all the features it just makes the most sense. I still have a $10 off coupon from when I opened my GC card to pay for all my gear, and a little postcard from the manager good for 1 free guitar cable or set of strings with $15 purchase. I should be all set to jam on the go and not have to lug around a 30+ pound amp.

word of advice, look for the GC bill in the mail and pay that thing off quick smart. They love to send those bills out about a day before the due date.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    word of advice, look for the GC bill in the mail and pay that thing off quick smart. They love to send those bills out about a day before the due date.

Duly noted. Taking advantage of the 15 months no interest. I've calculated out my exact monthly payment to have it paid off in full before the 15 months are up.
    moster78 wrote:
    Duly noted. Taking advantage of the 15 months no interest. I've calculated out my exact monthly payment to have it paid off in full before the 15 months are up.

excellent. The perfect way to do it. I think I might do the same. I wants a hollowbody. That Gretsch Electromatic is well within range of a LP Studio sale profit.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    excellent. The perfect way to do it. I think I might do the same. I wants a hollowbody. That Gretsch Electromatic is well within range of a LP Studio sale profit.

I don't think I would've bought it all if they didn't have the no interest deal. Makes it way easier to pay off.
    So I picked up the Cube last night, and damn! Its a pretty good little amp. Didn't think it would get that loud. I like all the options it gives for different tones/amp styles, and the effects. Although the tremolo makes me want to vomit. :D

I'm just afraid I'm going to find myself playing on this more than my Blues Junior that cost 3X as much!
  • Good one! Those littles things are the best value! And I see your finding out why!

And don't worry about not playing your blues junior.. you can always sell it ;)

Oh and... yea.. the tremlo did make me want to vomit too!
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
    Good one! Those littles things are the best value! And I see your finding out why!

And don't worry about not playing your blues junior.. you can always sell it ;)

Oh and... yea.. the tremlo did make me want to vomit too!

I think I'll hold onto the Blues Junior, and just have to make a point of playing it equally. I'll need it if I ever get ambitious enough to start a band! It seems like it would make the perfect playing a party or small club amp.