Buzzing Saddle

moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Question for all you Strat guru's out there, you know who you are.

I noticed something odd with my Strat during my lesson this week. I hit the B string at the 12th fret and along with the note, it made this high pitched whine type noise, and it seemed to be coming from the saddle. Any thoughts on what could cause it? And more importantly, how to remedy. Thanks in advance everyone!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• J.D.J.D. Posts: 73
    Did you check the saddle screws to be sure they are making contact with the saddles and not just sitting there buzzing?
  • sandozsandoz Posts: 166
    yes, i hate when a string, often the first and often on the 12th, do buzz buzz , it's horrible ... i 'm not sure if it was what you're talkin about here , but recently someone gave me the little tool (which i call the " L " ) to raise the strings and it's just magical !! buzz is gone.
    and, that man tell me to dismantle my guitar and put together again all the pieces to know well how it works. crazy man. but i 'm sure some of you guys do that all the time ! just for fun.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    sandoz wrote:
    yes, i hate when a string, often the first and often on the 12th, do buzz buzz , it's horrible ... i 'm not sure if it was what you're talkin about here , but recently someone gave me the little tool (which i call the " L " ) to raise the strings and it's just magical !! buzz is gone.
    and, that man tell me to dismantle my guitar and put together again all the pieces to know well how it works. crazy man. but i 'm sure some of you guys do that all the time ! just for fun.

I believe the "L" is called an Allen Wrench. That is if we're talking about the same thing. But, yes, very useful tool. I love it.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    danny72688 wrote:
    I believe the "L" is called an Allen Wrench. That is if we're talking about the same thing. But, yes, very useful tool. I love it.

I guess I can always try lowereing the saddle and adjusting the string length to see if it goes away. Also debating if it needs a setup. Had the thing for about 8 months, and the hot summer months are coming.
    moster78 wrote:
    I guess I can always try lowereing the saddle and adjusting the string length to see if it goes away. Also debating if it needs a setup. Had the thing for about 8 months, and the hot summer months are coming.

Temperature effects the strings if you didn't know, that could be a factor also. Maybe you need new strings? You might also wanna lower the action a little (it'll be easier to play if you do) but don't lower it too much. Raising is also an option if it's already low. You've gotta play with it for a little to get the perfect sound (at least I do).
    Actually, did you hit a harmonic note? Or was it an ugly buzz?
    danny72688 wrote:
    Actually, did you hit a harmonic note? Or was it an ugly buzz?

It wasn't so much a buzz as like a high pitch whine, like really high pitched. I wasn't plugged into an amp or anything, and I don't think its anything that would get picked up by the amp, but my guitar teacher heard it and had a WTF moment.
    moster78 wrote:
    It wasn't so much a buzz as like a high pitch whine, like really high pitched. I wasn't plugged into an amp or anything, and I don't think its anything that would get picked up by the amp, but my guitar teacher heard it and had a WTF moment.

I think you might've hit a harmonic note, but just right to sound bad if that makes sense. Does that happen every time you hit the 12 fret on B? (12 is a natural harmonic, easily able to play on accident)
    danny72688 wrote:
    I think you might've hit a harmonic note, but just right to sound bad if that makes sense. Does that happen every time you hit the 12 fret on B? (12 is a natural harmonic, easily able to play on accident)

Not a harmonic, its pretty much every time I hit the 12th fret on B, and its a definite whine type noise, very high pitched, coming from the saddle/bridge area.
    moster78 wrote:
    Not a harmonic, its pretty much every time I hit the 12th fret on B, and its a definite whine type noise, very high pitched, coming from the saddle/bridge area.

Damn, I've had problems with buzzing strings, but it wasn't specifically on one fret and only happened when I didn't play 100% accurately. All I did was change the strings. I don't know if I've ever heard the noise you're talking about...
    It actually does it when I just hit an open B as well. I tried adjusting the saddle to no avail. I think I might just take it in to a shop and get it checked out.
    How old are the strings? Maybe the B string is bad and needs to be changed. Should be done every few months (especially if you play a lot).

Just a thought that would save you a trip and $ if that's the case.
    danny72688 wrote:
    How old are the strings? Maybe the B string is bad and needs to be changed. Should be done every few months (especially if you play a lot).

Just a thought that would save you a trip and $ if that's the case.

Once a month on average. I guess thats worth a shot too, its probably coming up on that time anyway.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Is it a sitar like meeeeeeeeeooooo? :)

Try holding your finger on the saddle where the B string sits on it and play the string. Work your finger around there to see if the buzz stops. It might be a worn groove in the saddle that makes it buzz. If the string can shake a little bit in the groove it'll give that high pitched buzz. If that's the case, then it needs a little filing or smoothing out.

I don't think it's fret buzz if it's the same pitched buzz when you play an open string

If the strings are old, then change them before you adjust the action. Summer may make the action lower and you raise it a little, as the neck and neck joint swells from more humidity.

The string also might be laying against something on the path from the back of the guitar, too, but try the saddle first!

Try that and we'll see! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Damn, Bob, too late! =) I tried changing up the strings, to no avail. Couldn't see anything in the actual saddle, but the noise didn't go away. And yes, it was kind of like a meow. Like a weird kind of EM interference or something. I dropped it off at a local shop to get checked out and get a setup while its in there. I figure its time, and it is summer, and I don't exactly have central air in my current place, so the humidity may have some affect on it, I figure better safe than sorry in trying to save a couple $$$. That's my baby we're talking about! Thanks again and I'll let you know what the tech said.
    Well, that was a waste of money, and I've never going back to that shop. I figured I'd try a local place instead of dealing with the meat heads at my local GC. I got my Strat back today, and after asking them to look into the buzzing, give it a setup, and lower the action, if possible, I get it back with the buzzing even worse and the springs behind the back plate tightened so much the bridge is resting against the body. I bitched and the tech, who didn't even work on the guitar, came back a few minutes later, with the bridge at a proper angle and insisted it was fine. I tried to get him to listen to it, but he said he didn't hear anything wrong, and proceeded to play it for 10 minutes. He finished by saying, "I can't fix it if it isn't broken." So I take it home and try to play, and all I hear is shit. I think I'm just going to toss it in the case, wait until my next guitar lesson, and give it to my teacher to setup. Because I trust him. Any other suggestions fellas? Feeling desperate here.
    moster78 wrote:
    Well, that was a waste of money, and I've never going back to that shop. I figured I'd try a local place instead of dealing with the meat heads at my local GC. I got my Strat back today, and after asking them to look into the buzzing, give it a setup, and lower the action, if possible, I get it back with the buzzing even worse and the springs behind the back plate tightened so much the bridge is resting against the body. I bitched and the tech, who didn't even work on the guitar, came back a few minutes later, with the bridge at a proper angle and insisted it was fine. I tried to get him to listen to it, but he said he didn't hear anything wrong, and proceeded to play it for 10 minutes. He finished by saying, "I can't fix it if it isn't broken." So I take it home and try to play, and all I hear is shit. I think I'm just going to toss it in the case, wait until my next guitar lesson, and give it to my teacher to setup. Because I trust him. Any other suggestions fellas? Feeling desperate here.

Sorry to hear that, man!

Does it still buzz on only that one string? if it IS only the B string, does it buzz when you finger it at the highest fret. If it does, then it's something to do with the saddle or bridge rattling.

If other strings buzz, then your action might be too low. Lowering the action puts the strings closer to the frets and makes it more likely that they'll buzz against the higher frets.
    You may need to add a little "relief" to the neck. (the neck bowed forward a bit) If you put a capo on the lowest fret("F") and finger about the 17th fret, you should be able to slide two sheets of paper with a little resistance between the string and the fret at the 9th. That gives clearance for string vibration and you can bend the heck out of them without fretting out.
    You would add relief by loosening the truss rod nut a tiny bit at a time, like 1/8th turn. That may be best left to a tech if you're not comfortable, but all guitarists should learn to adjust the neck and action! 8)

The first thing to do is to play each string individually at each fret and make note of when the buzz happens, then report back! :D
    Be kind, man
    Thanks for the response, I was actually about to post an update. Just goes to show you, if you want something done right, do it yourself. Using the instructions in a book you recommended months ago, I basically took my Strat apart and set it up myself, and also slapped on some new saddles. I think I have it setup pretty well, but I had to set the action much higher than I wanted to kill some bad fret buzzing when playing simple open chords. I think I may go back and run through it all again with a slightly lighter gauge string. But thanks again!
    Nice going, Moster!
    If your open chords are buzzing, you may need a bit of neck relief,,,, but you'll get it! I have confidence in you!

Was that the Dan Erlewine book? That's the one I think I recommended. Everyone should be required to have that book.
    Be kind, man

Was that the Dan Erlewine book? That's the one I think I recommended. Everyone should be required to have that book.

It was indeed the Dan Erlewine book. The neck looks pretty straight to me, and the one thing that I still haven't had the guts to do is adjust the truss rod. One day I'll conquer that fear, but it'll probably be on some secondhand guitar I pick up for $100.
    moster78 wrote:
    It was indeed the Dan Erlewine book. The neck looks pretty straight to me, and the one thing that I still haven't had the guts to do is adjust the truss rod. One day I'll conquer that fear, but it'll probably be on some secondhand guitar I pick up for $100.

That seems like the scariest thing, but it's pretty easy, especially if it's a new guitar.
    If the neck is totally straight, the strings are more likely to buzz on the frets, especially if you pick or strum hard, or bend strings a lot. That's why you put a little relief in the neck, where it is bent outward slightly and gives the strings room to vibrate without hitting the frets.

Loosen the D and G strings, get your truss rod nut wrench, take a deep breath and relax,, :D,,,, and loosen it by about 1/8th of a turn. Remember where you started the wrench, and where you ended it.

Let out breath.

Retune the G and D, give it a few minutes and play that sucker! If it's good,,, you've done it! If you don't like it,,, tighten it back 1/8 and it'll be back to where it was.

If the truss rod nut is stuck and doesn't move, (usually on an old guitar) don't move it! Give it to a good tech. Yours will be fine, though.

It's actually good to move the truss rod nut every once in a while so it's less likely to freeze up, and you can even put a tiny drop of oil on it evey once in a while.

I know you can do it Moster,,, do it, do it. do it! :D

Someone has to take over for me here someday! :)

If you've taken your guitar apart and out new saddles in, then you are pretty far along, and I know you can turn that nut!!!! You aren't going to hurt anything unless you start turning the nut a lot. Usually 1/8 turn increments, waiting and checking is good on a neck that's close to being right.
    Be kind, man
    Alright, maybe I'll give it a shot. I went through the setup process again last night, dropping my strings down a gauge, from 10's to 9's, and so far so good, as thats what originally was on it from the factory. I have a lesson tomorrow, so I'll have my teacher tell if I did a decent job or not, then we'll take it from there. I'm very impressed with myself though, this time last year I didn't even know how to change the strings!
    One more thing, if I do need to turn it, which direction am I turning it to? Treble side or bass side?