Strap Button

moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I accidentally ripped the strap button out of the bottom of my Strat. After taking it to Guitar Center, as a local shop in my area didn't have a tech in today, the guys there suggested breaking two tooth picks in half, jamming them in the hole and then screwing the strap button back in. Any thoughts? They said thats what the tech there would do, and charge me $25 to boot.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    moster78 wrote:
    So I accidentally ripped the strap button out of the bottom of my Strat. After taking it to Guitar Center, as a local shop in my area didn't have a tech in today, the guys there suggested breaking two tooth picks in half, jamming them in the hole and then screwing the strap button back in. Any thoughts? They said thats what the tech there would do, and charge me $25 to boot.

I do that, but then I have redo it every 2 weeks or so. Trust me when I say this is not secure whatsoever. I had the strap button pull out at my last show and it was terrible.

I suggest either wood filler and a new screw or 5 minute opoxy glue.
  • lol 25$ to do that? thats rediculous...the strap clip/button thing on my strap is coming a little undone as well, i think its because 2 days ago i was twirling it around trying to be a rock star :D

to answer your question, i have on idea
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I used it as an excuse to throw on some strap locks as well. I broke a tooth pick into 4 even sections, jammed it in the empty hole and the new screw went in just fine. I think it may even be a little longer than the previous screw, so hopefully it'll hold. Only time will tell. At least with the straplocks I won't be pulling on the buttons so much like I used to when taking the strap on and off.

Thanks for the words though fellas.
  • lol 25$ to do that? thats rediculous...the strap clip/button thing on my strap is coming a little undone as well, i think its because 2 days ago i was twirling it around trying to be a rock star :D

to answer your question, i have on idea

:D:D:D Lol

Nice HH,

Is it easier than it looks to do the spin around the neck thing ???
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I think that's a pretty common thing to do. At least, I've seen it done before. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    So far so good, and the screws are in there pretty tight. Lets hope it holds.
  • :D:D:D Lol

Nice HH,

Is it easier than it looks to do the spin around the neck thing ???

yeah omg considering that the inner part of my strap is suade (or however you spell it)

i did it once after like 20 tries, and then i couldnt do it again

then i did the shit hendrix did with putting it between my legs, lmao
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I would find a dowel rod the same diameter as the hole and glue that into place, then drill out for the strap button. I would not glue the button into the guitar or use toothpicks.
    If a tech's way of fixing this was to use toothpicks, I would say find a new tech ;)
    Wood filler will work, but no matter what you decide I would leave this one to a pro and a good one.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • I use teflon tape, and tape the screw, then I put in some epoxy in the hold with the screw, and let it sit for 24 hours. This never fails. I've had stuff done like this for 15 years, and it still holds.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    JofZ wrote:
    I would find a dowel rod the same diameter as the hole and glue that into place, then drill out for the strap button. I would not glue the button into the guitar or use toothpicks.
    If a tech's way of fixing this was to use toothpicks, I would say find a new tech ;)
    Wood filler will work, but no matter what you decide I would leave this one to a pro and a good one.

Like I said, it was Guitar Center and I went there as a last resort. I usually have my guitar teacher do any kind of work on my guitars, but my usual Saturday lesson was cancelled on account of beautiful weather on Long Island and a beautiful girl he wanted to hang out with. I'll ask him about it next lesson and see what he recommends. So far so good though.
  • Here're some weird facts:

Round toothpicks are usually hardwood, Flat are softwood. :D

If the hole for your strap button isn't cracked, just worn larger then it's entirely valid to dip a couple of toothpicks (round) in yellow wood glue (Like Titebond or Elmers yellow wood glue from the hardware store), and stick them in the screw hole. Try to keep them on opposite sides of the hole. If you shave them so that three fit in in a triangular pattern then you'll have a little pathway for the screw to go back into.Cut them off level with the body before you do it so they don't stick out. Let the glue set overnight then screw that sucker right back in! The harder wood gives more bite for the screw to hold. If you stuck regular flat toothpicks in there, the softer wood will eventually let loose again and the button will fall out again.

If that lets go, then eventually you may end up drilling a hole for a hardwood dowel and redrilling for another screw hole. That would be a pro. Usually you don't need to do that unless the screw hole is really deformed or the wood is cracked around the hole. Then, like JZ says, get a good tech to redrill.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Round toothpicks are usually hardwood, Flat are softwood. :D

Crap. I used flat. But jammed the hole fill of them. And I'm pretty sure the screw for the strap lock button was longer. I guess I'll see how it holds up for the week and ask my teacher about it on Saturday.

Thanks again everyone. Hopefully it'll be fine.
  • moster78 wrote:
    Crap. I used flat. But jammed the hole fill of them. And I'm pretty sure the screw for the strap lock button was longer. I guess I'll see how it holds up for the week and ask my teacher about it on Saturday.

Thanks again everyone. Hopefully it'll be fine.

Well, the flat ones were enough to get you through the show! :D

They'll soften up after a while and be loose again, then you'll fix them, and life will be good! No worries! :cool:
    Be kind, man

They'll soften up after a while and be loose again, then you'll fix them, and life will be good! No worries! :cool:

Flat ones didn't get me through a show. Came out during Baba O'Riley because I was rocking out too damn hard...
  • Flat ones didn't get me through a show. Came out during Baba O'Riley because I was rocking out too damn hard...

:(

Well, you're in with the best of them, then!
    I have a bunch of roadie friends that have done stage and guitar tech work even from the MC-5 days in the 60's.
    The most common /in flight/ onstage/ emergency repairs are broken strings and strap buttons from rockers!

I guess one night they fixed Stevie Ray's guitar by shoving a chopstick into the hole with super glue, and drilling and putting the strap button back,,

ready for the next song! :D
    Be kind, man
    For me, it depends on how bad the hole is reamed out. If it's just a little loose, I'd use a good round toothpick and a bit of wood or super glue (whatever I have handy). If it's way loose, I'd dowel it and redrill. If it's REALLY bad, I'd dowel it and drill a new hole about 1/4" over. Your guitar teacher will be able to advise on this... and now you know not to trust your average Guitar Center to repair anything on a guitar.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.