one of you guys might know about this

BackwardsBlues1BackwardsBlues1 Posts: 152
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Are any of you good with like home stereo equipment? Since I moved I haven't been able to get my stereo working. It's extremely frustrating especially since I have a very nice stereo system. Anyway, as soon as I try to play music, the receiver (a big denon thing) shuts itself off. The manual says this is because of short circuiting speakers. I have reconected the speakers a million times but it keeps doing it. Does anyone know if I just need new speaker cables or something? I don't get it, and of course the company has no customer service or anything...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    have you tried different cables? It could be a short in the amp somewhere causing the protection circuit to kick on.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    have you tried different cables? It could be a short in the amp somewhere causing the protection circuit to kick on.

no I haven't tried different cables. I need really big fat ones and I haven't been able to find them. Any idea where you can buy those? I tried radio shack but they only had the thinner ones.
    no I haven't tried different cables. I need really big fat ones and I haven't been able to find them. Any idea where you can buy those? I tried radio shack but they only had the thinner ones.

Best Buy, Circuit City etc. What are you looking for 16 Gauge 14 Gauge?

I tend to think something has come loose from shipping though in either the speaker or the amplifier. you might take the speakers apart and check the connections then if that dosen't work take the reciever in to the nearest Denon dealer (Tweeter, Magnolia) and have them check it out for problems.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Best Buy, Circuit City etc. What are you looking for 16 Gauge 14 Gauge?

I tend to think something has come loose from shipping though in either the speaker or the amplifier. you might take the speakers apart and check the connections then if that dosen't work take the reciever in to the nearest Denon dealer (Tweeter, Magnolia) and have them check it out for problems.

18 gauge actually. Yeah I don't think I'll be taking the speakers apart myself, but I will take the receiver in. thanks.
  • don't mean to get you down, but the same exact thing happened to me when i had a kenwood. it shut itself off too and the manual said there was a short in the speakers. it turned out to be a relay in the tuner, and to make a long story short, it always ends up being cheaper to buy a new tuner unless you have a warranty.

also, this was when i learned to never again buy a top of the line receiver. my 100 dollar sony has done me quite nice.
  • don't mean to get you down, but the same exact thing happened to me when i had a kenwood. it shut itself off too and the manual said there was a short in the speakers. it turned out to be a relay in the tuner, and to make a long story short, it always ends up being cheaper to buy a new tuner unless you have a warranty.

also, this was when i learned to never again buy a top of the line receiver. my 100 dollar sony has done me quite nice.

yeah I didn't want a top of the line anything, this was gift. I honestly would much rather cheaper stuff in just about everything.
    18 gauge actually. Yeah I don't think I'll be taking the speakers apart myself, but I will take the receiver in. thanks.

Ah ok, you can get 18 gauge fairly cheap at Best Buy.
  • I HAD the same reciever, did the same thing, I called Best Buy for assistance, and Denon, They told me to replace the cables and reset the whole thing....still nothing!! Denon finally told me it was toast...ended up getting a Yamaha 5850...nice!!
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
    imspinnin wrote:
    I HAD the same reciever, did the same thing, I called Best Buy for assistance, and Denon, They told me to replace the cables and reset the whole thing....still nothing!! Denon finally told me it was toast...ended up getting a Yamaha 5850...nice!!

I have a denon now, but Yamaha's are some of my favorites. Denon is cold digital precision and sounds amazing in home theatre applications, Yamaha has a warmer sound. I like it a lot, my next reciever will likely be a yamaha. I just got an amazing deal with my denon but it's having DVD audio issues.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Make sure none of your wires are crossed. I had that happen with my system a few times, and each time that was the issue. Check connection on both ends. If the wires are crossed, or some of the wire strands are touching a piece of metal they shouldn't be toughing, it sends a signal back to the receiver telling it to turn off immediately so it doesn't blow the circuits.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"