what do you think is the best amp on the market now?

The ManThe Man Posts: 15
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
so what do you think is the best head etc on the market at the moment?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• heads:
    hiwatt custom 50watt or 100watt
    rivera quiana 50 watt
    marshall jcm 800
    marshall 1960 plexi
    Orange AC30

combos:
    fender concert reverb 4x12 combo
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    I guess it will come down to a couple of boutique amps/companies. Between them it's merely a question of taste (kind of tubes etc.)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    It REALLY depends on what you are going for sonically. If you give me a list of the amps you are looking for a "best" of, I can give you a fairly healthy list of amps that anyone would be damned happy to own :)

I personally prefer Wizard Amps, and will be taking possession of my new one next week.

I have also played:

Harry Joyce
    Savage (still have it...selling it for a crazy good price)
    Guytron
    Budda
    Mesa
    Marshall
    Dr. Z
    Tone King (Galaxy...no longer made)
    Bogner
    VHT
    Bruno
    and a Trainwreck express (though it wasn't mine)

all were great at what they did. Of the list, I could live happily ever after with the HJ and Savage...but the Wizard is the final word for me.
  • combos:
    Marshall avt 50 or 100
    are you serious?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    are you serious?

Maybe that's all the more experience he has with an amp. I thought my Crate practice amp rocked until I bought my first T-Verb in 94.
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    my solid state amp (+mesa bottle rocket) and yamaha start copy totally destoryed a guy playing a Gibson LP standard into one of those.
  • are you serious?

the head version is better but the comob is good, i havent played too many combos...ive only played like 3 or 4 combos (fender, crate, marshall)...
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Sovtek Mig 50.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    enharmonic wrote:
    Bloody hell...you have one of those? They cost more than some small cars :D

yeah, it is currently worth more than my car.

I don't own one. Between that and the hideous looking but unbelievable sounding Diezel VH-4 those are probably at the top of my list.

But I mean, really how do we choose a best amp without parameters? There are so many.

It's kind of like sophies choice here.

I own a modest little Orange.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • jodijodi Posts: 183
    if i had the money, i'd buy a marshall jcm series amp..
    and a fender american strat deluxe ;)
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    You're really stuck on those Sovtek Mig 50's...eh MIG?

http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages...duct/View/12000

Holy Shit...and I thought the bogner was expensive!
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
    nailz100 wrote:

http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages...duct/View/12000

Holy Shit...and I thought the bogner was expensive!

I told you Bogner was fair.

search Ebay for Dumble amps.
    Didn't find any...
    nailz100 wrote:
    Didn't find any...

They go between 10 and 15 thousand.
    Holy shit man....it better be the rolls royce of amps for that price.
    nailz100 wrote:

It's the most appropriate amp for me. I could mention the best-wired, the most-expensive, the most sought-after... but the best amp, in my opinion, is the amp that sounds the best to me.

Okay, okay, okay... Fender tweed-era Bassman, Fender blackface-era Super Reverb, Fender blackface-era Deluxe Reverb, Marshall Plexi. Those are the four amps that I can't afford that I would prefer. But barely.
    Maybe I should go buy a sovtek and forget about the Bogner.....hahaha
    nailz100 wrote:
    Maybe I should go buy a sovtek and forget about the Bogner.....hahaha

Niet, Niet, Niet.
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    I'm thinking of picking up a Vox AD50VT. They have an amazing sound and they aren't that expensive. The 30VT is just as nice.
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Niet, Niet, Niet.

You got something against Russia?

Do you want Russia to have something against you?

Comrade???
    Hahaha...

Paco and MIG duel it out in this one and only death match!
    You got something against Russia?

Do you want Russia to have something against you?

Comrade???

Niet.

Clearly one must experience a sovtek to know it's AK 47 like goodness and toughness.

When you get it right you get it right. Sovtek's are great. Especially if your last name is Mackay

Germans do beer and sports cars pretty well right?

Why go for the AK 47 when you can have machine gun brilliance? You don't buy a T-72 when you can have an Abrams. (Ex Sonic Youth)

I'm not knocking the Sovteks, it's an individual situation, Nails lusts for the gold anodized faceplate "better than Marshall" goodness (and chinese tubes ha ha comrade) of Rienhold's amplifier pleasure shop.

Clearly my love is not lost for the Sovtek, I'm just staying in good ol Imperialist Capitalist Pig Dog America for this one Comrade.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Clearly my love is not lost for the Sovtek, I'm just staying in good ol Imperialist Capitalist Pig Dog America for this one Comrade.

That's fine... leaves more Migs for me. And I do plan on picking up as many as I can afford to buy and store. Those things are soooo good...
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    my twin reverb II blackface is pretty sweet...

if it were about 60 watts less!
    That's fine... leaves more Migs for me. And I do plan on picking up as many as I can afford to buy and store. Those things are soooo good...

shit, when my buddy finally gets his MIG 50 and Tube Midget back I'm buying both of them.