The Ian Anderson Standard has landed

enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Looks pretty swank with the rig if I do say so myself :D

IMG_0288.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• you and your fuckin Harry Joyce and Ian Anderson can go fuck yourselves or if you don't want to fuck yourselves, then go out and buy me guitar of my choice :D
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Err...don't for get my D*A*M Meatball Deluxe (Donner Box), Boss Rotary Station, DLS Echotap, or Liquid Sunshine. Fuck all of them too...lol!

The IA is dope. I'm not feeling the Seth Lover's, so I'm gonna drop in a set of Fralin P-92's next month when I get paid. Yes, I get paid once a month. It's fucking horrible.

It sounds like a Les Paul with a more focused midrange...very fat and aggressive. A few subtle tweaks to the cosmetics (black top hats and a black PUP switch) and we'll be in bidness.

Oddly enough, I'm in early discussions that could result in a McInturff endorsement...so who knows what I'll be playing by the end of the year? :D
    I call this one...Strange Bedfellows

IMG_0289.jpg
  • as long as you don't have a DAM 1966, then I don't care about the rest ;)
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    as long as you don't have a DAM 1966, then I don't care about the rest ;)

on the way actually :p
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    a telepaulcaster!!!
  • enharmonic wrote:
    on the way actually :p

i think i shall kill you

but before I do, let me know how it is :D
  • Wow! What is the amp? I've not heard of them before.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Wow! What is the amp? I've not heard of them before.

Harry Joyce was the man who brought mil-spec wiring to the amp world. In the 1970's he worked for Dan Reeves at Hiwatt. He hand wired the Hiwatts that found their way into the hands of the players of the day...most notably Pete Townsend and Dave Gilmour.

Harry went into business making his own line of amps in the late 1990's. Everything about his amps were designed and built to his spec, and offer a number of improvements over the original Hiwatt design. The most popular HJ player is Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes. If you have seen the Crowes live since the late 90's, you have hard this amp. If you have heard Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes, you have definitely heard this amp :)

Harry passed away in early 2002. Before he died, he and his partner had agreed on the final version of the circuit, yet another improvement to some of the components. Harry's wife has since licensed the use of his name to Matamp. They make a HJ amp that is HJ in name only. After a few years of legal wrangling, his partner George Scholz is producing limited runs of the actual HJ circuit, which uses the transformers that are wound to Harry's spec's by former employees of the original Partridge company.

This amp doesn't sound exactly like a Hiwatt. It has that fidelity and attack, but it is a bloder amp in the midrange...has a lot more harmonic content. The first version of the circuit is more in line with a very dialed in Hiwatt. I have owned both, and prefer the last version of the circuit...as it would have been the production version had Harry lived to see to it.

Mine also has the Rich robinson mod, which internally jumpers the channels, eliminating the need to use a jumper cable in 2 of the 4 inputs.

I can put you in contact with George and his Business manager, Charles Bertonazzi if you are interested in acquiring one of these amps. They are hand built to order, and if I understand correctly, will only be made available for a limited time.
  • Must have cost you some change there man!

What type of speakers are you running?

I just got my amp re-tubbed and it sounds better than I have ever heard it before :D
    Must have cost you some change there man!

What type of speakers are you running?

I just got my amp re-tubbed and it sounds better than I have ever heard it before :D

The HJ's are not what I would consider affordable. For the last 6 years, I have played either HJ's or Wizard's. Though I get a lot of props for my tone on my last album (Wizard through a HJ 4x12), I really think that my current rig is the best I've ever sounded.

Which brings us to the speakers. I've owned and played through so many cabinets :(. Ultimately, I have settled on a pretty tremendous combination, and I wish that the cab's could be made more affordable, because if they could, I'd have a bunch of 'em made up and sell them. It's a 2x12 built to old Orange spec's, and loaded with Scholz 12's. My favorite cabs are Orange cabs, and my favorite speakers are Scholz speakers. I went back and forth for years between Orange cabs and HJ cabs, until one day I had the bright idea to combine what i love about the two into one. I figured it woudl either be a tremendous sound, or a total failure.

Fortunately, it was a huge success :)

I though about just buying an Orange cab and installing the Scholz speakers, but by the time I did the math and had everything sorted out, it ended up being a better idea to have Jeff Swanson build the cab from scratch for the speakers. I'd also like to mention that for as heavy duty as the Orange cab's are, Jeff's are built even better if you can believe it.

What kind of tubes did you go with for your amp? finding the right tubes can be quit a challenge.
  • If I may ask, how much did you pay for it? I'm in the market for an amp eventually, and am willing to spend a lot to get a lot, but it has to be REASONABLE. BUT, if the tones there, I will save the money.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    The HJ's are $3000
    Wizard's are $3200-$3400 depending on what you want

One thing about both...if your chops aren't up to snuff, you will be totally exposed. These aren't amps that will hide your hands...everything you do (or don't do) translates...warts and all.

I happen to think that's part of what makes them wonderful though. That's what's missing from a lot of today's music. you don't hear a squeaky Ludwig Speed King or finger/guitar noises anymore. Something about those things hits people on the subconscious level, and makes the music more "real", if you will...at least IMO.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    enharmonic wrote:
    The HJ's are $3000

One thing about both...if your chops aren't up to snuff, you will be totally exposed. These aren't amps that will hide your hands...everything you do (or don't do) translates...warts and all.

I happen to think that's part of what makes them wonderful though. That's what's missing from a lot of today's music. you don't hear a squeaky Ludwig Speed King or finger/guitar noises anymore. Something about those things hits people on the subconscious level, and makes the music more "real", if you will...at least IMO.
    +1
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • enharmonic wrote:
    The HJ's are $3000

I could not agree more. I don't want to hide behind effects, I want ME to come out. The HJ is out of my price range. I'm still hunting for the ULTIMATE amp.
    Hiwatt's can be had in really nice shape for around a grand. :)
    I could not agree more. I don't want to hide behind effects, I want ME to come out. The HJ is out of my price range. I'm still hunting for the ULTIMATE amp.
    try a fender supersonic 112, theyre great. sure, they may not be a "traditional" fender product, but theyre amazing
  • seanw1010 wrote:
    try a fender supersonic 112, theyre great. sure, they may not be a "traditional" fender product, but theyre amazing

I've been lookin at that. The Twin Reverb Clean was orgasmic. But it doesn't have an overdrive.
    I've been lookin at that. The Twin Reverb Clean was orgasmic. But it doesn't have an overdrive.
    thats exactly why i bought a supersonic lol(except the orgasm part, i just thought it sounded great) its like putting a vibro, bassman, and a marshall plexi together. its great
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    wow man, that IA is gorgeous, along with the HJ of course.

I think the Fralins will make you very happy. Telesonic has them in his custom guitar and they sound great, much better than the Seth Lovers a little more brightness and clarity that one needs from a HB.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    enharmonic wrote:
    Harry Joyce was the man who brought mil-spec wiring to the amp world. In the 1970's he worked for Dan Reeves at Hiwatt. He hand wired the Hiwatts that found their way into the hands of the players of the day...most notably Pete Townsend and Dave Gilmour.

Harry went into business making his own line of amps in the late 1990's. Everything about his amps were designed and built to his spec, and offer a number of improvements over the original Hiwatt design. The most popular HJ player is Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes. If you have seen the Crowes live since the late 90's, you have hard this amp. If you have heard Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes, you have definitely heard this amp :)

Harry passed away in early 2002. Before he died, he and his partner had agreed on the final version of the circuit, yet another improvement to some of the components. Harry's wife has since licensed the use of his name to Matamp. They make a HJ amp that is HJ in name only. After a few years of legal wrangling, his partner George Scholz is producing limited runs of the actual HJ circuit, which uses the transformers that are wound to Harry's spec's by former employees of the original Partridge company.

This amp doesn't sound exactly like a Hiwatt. It has that fidelity and attack, but it is a bloder amp in the midrange...has a lot more harmonic content. The first version of the circuit is more in line with a very dialed in Hiwatt. I have owned both, and prefer the last version of the circuit...as it would have been the production version had Harry lived to see to it.

Mine also has the Rich robinson mod, which internally jumpers the channels, eliminating the need to use a jumper cable in 2 of the 4 inputs.

I can put you in contact with George and his Business manager, Charles Bertonazzi if you are interested in acquiring one of these amps. They are hand built to order, and if I understand correctly, will only be made available for a limited time.

I agree on all of that. the HJ's are a bolder version of a DR504 as with most "new improved" versions of classics they have taken the harshness out and dialed in the harmonics the way we like them to our ears. Kind of like "fixing" a strat, a touch more fatness and harmonics in the mid range a touch less shrillness to the top end but retaining all the sparkle. I've been disapointed with the change in Matamp. I love the designs, but something has happened to the production. Not as good as they used to be.

Rich and Marc Ford (Roccaforte) have some of the best rock tones ever created. I mean, it's almost like saying ok, this is what a Les Paul clad rock musician should sound like.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.