Jonzing for four guitars...can only afford 1. *sigh*

enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm not rolling in the dough, but my Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) thinks that I am

Here's the quartet of lovelies that have me losing sleep.

1. McInturff Terrycaster - I've talked to Terry about doing a Terrycaster a couple of times. I think it's one of the more innovative instruments available today, and I know that I'd be happy owning another TCM if for no other reason than Terry's Mild-V neck is the final word for me. It's an instrument I'd love to play.
2. Trussart Steelphonic - Another innovative instrument, Mini-hum neck, full humbucker in the bridge, plus piezo pickups in the resonator...a cross between a Les Paul and a Dobro. I'd have to talk to James about going with a 10" radius neck, and a fatter carve, but I am pretty confident that he could do it.
3. Grosh Set Neck - To settle my LP lust once and for all. I'm thinking Fralin p-92 neck, and Fralin PAF in the bridge. It would either be Oxblood with a flame top, or a "black beauty"
4. Motorave Bel Aire - A friend of mine loves his, and I do have a special fondness for hollowbodies. Seems like a lot of money for an all mahogany guitar, but I've not heard one negative criticism about the instrument.

All of 'em will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 4k. I currently own a TCM FLE and a First Act Delia. The Delia has my hollowbody tones covered, but the Motorave would give me more of those types of tones in a different way. The FLE is a beast, and would probably give the Grosh a run for its money. The two that are truly unique and would probably add the most to my sonic palette would be either the Terrycaster, or the Resophonic.

I'd welcome any opinions . For those who want eye candy, here's some pics:

Terrycaster - http://www.mcinturffguitars.com/00-25thAnniversary/Gallery/2500c/2500c-16Lg.jpg
Trussart - http://www.jamestrussart.com/Newsite/Steelphonic/SPCopper-lien1.jpg
Grosh - http://www.groshguitars.com/images/set-3.jpg
Motorave - http://www.motorave.com/bike_ba.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Terrycaster!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Terrycaster!

I'm leaning heavily towards that for a bunch of reasons. Not the least of which is that I believe in Terry's work, and have supported his work with the purchase of 5 other TCM's. Second, he's responsive to my needs as a player, and has spent a few hours with me discussing the pickup configuration/tones I'd be trying to get out of a Terrycaster, so he has some time invested in it already. He's also willing to do one in "TV White", which is a variant of the Gibson TV Yellow. Dig it...

TVwhite1.jpg

I've also talked to James on and off over the years about the Resophonic...starting back when he was still in Paris, and was still prototyping the instrument. I'd have to ask him about the increase in radius (current Resophonic has a 7" radius), neck carve, and pickups. I'd want to use Lollars instead of the Duncans.

I've swapped a few e-mails with Mark Fuqua at Motorave, but I haven't bothered him much beyond some technical questions. Oddly enough, Mark has worked for James and Terry in the past. He's got to know his stuff to have worked with both of those guys :)
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    That trussart looks amazing. That's all I'm saying: it *looks* amazing. No idea how they sound or feel.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    They seem to all be very different guitars. You're a lefty, or am I thinking of someone else?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • enharmonic wrote:
    I'm leaning heavily towards that for a bunch of reasons. Not the least of which is that I believe in Terry's work, and have supported his work with the purchase of 5 other TCM's. Second, he's responsive to my needs as a player, and has spent a few hours with me discussing the pickup configuration/tones I'd be trying to get out of a Terrycaster, so he has some time invested in it already. He's also willing to do one in "TV White", which is a variant of the Gibson TV Yellow. Dig it...

TVwhite1.jpg

I've also talked to James on and off over the years about the Resophonic...starting back when he was still in Paris, and was still prototyping the instrument. I'd have to ask him about the increase in radius (current Resophonic has a 7" radius), neck carve, and pickups. I'd want to use Lollars instead of the Duncans.

I've swapped a few e-mails with Mark Fuqua at Motorave, but I haven't bothered him much beyond some technical questions. Oddly enough, Mark has worked for James and Terry in the past. He's got to know his stuff to have worked with both of those guys :)

Well first off I say go for it. Get the TV white as well. Don't feel that you HAVE to buy it just because he has taken a lot of time to talk with you, which is extremely nice since no one ever does that. Just decide if the configurations he talked to you about is exactly what you want.

:D

On the other hand I'm looking into getting a Reverend Charger in the metallic red. Looks gorgeous and I played one of the old Slingshots from a year or so ago, sounded amazing. The Charger from what I have read is supposed to be the newer version of the Slingshot. I just don't know if I want this guitar to my be "p90 guitar"...
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    They seem to all be very different guitars. You're a lefty, or am I thinking of someone else?

I'm a righty :). I wish I could rock all 4 of them. Between the 4, there's not many tones I wouldn't be able to get. I goback and forth between being a guy who wants 1 "signature" tone for all of my songs, and having a stable of instruments available to match the right tone to the right song. I love textures when i listen to music, so I should probably sick in the latter camp.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    enharmonic wrote:
    I'm a righty :). I wish I could rock all 4 of them. Between the 4, there's not many tones I wouldn't be able to get. I goback and forth between being a guy who wants 1 "signature" tone for all of my songs, and having a stable of instruments available to match the right tone to the right song. I love textures when i listen to music, so I should probably sick in the latter camp.

Ya, I would prefer having the stable, thats just me though.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Oh man that Grosh is gorgeous. My favorite is the hollowbody version.

I think you'll probably go with the Terrycaster, I know how you like his work.

The motoraves look cool but you need the matching cycle.

I heart Trussart. That would be my choice because I've been lusting for one of those for a while now.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.