Taylor 414

Boom The CatBoom The Cat Posts: 482
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Yeah, so I'm a long way off getting one (or even deserving one) but still, the 414 has always been my dream guitar, is it really that good? Because I dont wanna wind up dissapointed if I ever do get one.
no matter where you go,
there you are.

- brain of c
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i played a 314CE and it was a log. but a 414 that was nicer. even though i was playing it upside down. but not as nice as my morgan and larrivee. and i've played larrivee's that were logs too.

i have a 355 12 string that sounds like angels built it, even when i play it.

when it comes time, make sure to try a few out.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I really think you've made a good decision in Taylor.
    I received a Taylor endorsement back in '99 (they gave me a 814CE with brazilian rosewood back/sides & a sitka spruce top). It is absolutely one of the most consistent guitars I have ever played. Truthfully, this is why so many professional performers are using them these days (because if theirs gets broken on tour, they can pretty much go down to a local store and pick one up that plays/feels pretty much the same way as theirs did).

For me it was between Taylor and Goodall (Goodall makes a truly fantastic guitar, but for me they just weren't quite as consistent as Taylor). I literally strummed 1 chord on my Taylor, and said "yup this is the one I want." I've been thinking about getting a jumbo or just a plain 4-series "as a bang-around" so I won't have to worry about my 814 on outside gigs, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

414 Taylor (Ovangkol back and sides). It actually has similar characteristics to rosewood, so that's definitely a decent choice for a lower-end lower-series guitar. So many guitar makers these days are using mahogany (which I absolutely HATE on acoustic guitars, because it's such a muddy/thuddy wood for acoustics, and has almost nonexistent articulation and note definition).
    Martin is actually one company that as of lately (past 6 years) makes a very bad acoustic - many of their guitars are made with mahogany, and most of the craftsmanship is very bad (even on some of their $3000+ rosewood guitars). Many of Martins lower end instruments aren't even real wood (they call it HPB, High Pressure Board, like a bad laminate). People are paying bucks for a laminate guitar, when for a few more $$ they could get a solid wood guitar - that's sad.
    Anyhow, I think you're making a good choice with TAYLOR. They make wonderful guitars - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • A Taylor was my dream guitar until I played a Breedlove....check them out.....I love them.

Also check out Collings....they make unbelievable accoustic guitars....but they are $$$$$$$$!!!!! Not to say Taylors and Breedloves aren't pricey too, but they Collings are a bit more.

The key is....when you have the money....shop around.....play many, many guitars....your ear and hands will make the decision for you. Also, don't go solely by what others say...it is your guitar....buy what feels and sounds the best to you.