Effects And Amps

Boom The CatBoom The Cat Posts: 482
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Yeah, so I've been with my Acoustic for a while now, and I've decided to try some electric out. I've decided what guitar to get (Line 6 Variax) but I'm having a problem.

I have no clue WHATSOEVER about amps and even moreso about FX I read some stuff on Sweetwater music which kinda helps, I'm pretty sure I'd probably get a Multi FX pedal but still:

1. What is a good Multi FX pedal to get? (I'm looking for one with a wide selection of Effects and still pretty cheap)

2. What amp do I get? It'll be for home use so it doesnt have to be amazing at all, and it has to be cheap.

Thanks in advance,
Boom.
no matter where you go,
there you are.

- brain of c
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Yeah, so I've been with my Acoustic for a while now, and I've decided to try some electric out. I've decided what guitar to get (Line 6 Variax) but I'm having a problem.

I have no clue WHATSOEVER about amps and even moreso about FX I read some stuff on Sweetwater music which kinda helps, I'm pretty sure I'd probably get a Multi FX pedal but still:

1. What is a good Multi FX pedal to get? (I'm looking for one with a wide selection of Effects and still pretty cheap)

2. What amp do I get? It'll be for home use so it doesnt have to be amazing at all, and it has to be cheap.

Thanks in advance,
    Boom.

1. dont get multieffects unless you are gonna spend some serious cash. You would be better off gettin a few different stomp boxes.

2. How much are you plannin on spending on the amp.You can get a Traynor for $500 or so. Sweet sound for low cost.

for either question though, its based on personal taste. What kinda music you play?

Also, have you played the Variax. If not you should try to. If so, how do they sound?
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    1. dont get multieffects unless you are gonna spend some serious cash. You would be better off gettin a few different stomp boxes.

2. How much are you plannin on spending on the amp.You can get a Traynor for $500 or so. Sweet sound for low cost.

for either question though, its based on personal taste. What kinda music you play?

Also, have you played the Variax. If not you should try to. If so, how do they sound?

As soon as I get the guitar I'll be broke, which is when I'll need an amp for it. So, anything up to $150. Like I said, its only a home use peice of crap so it can be cheap and nasty.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    if you're getting a variax, just go get a line 6 pod xt or xt live as well and use headphones. that's going to give you the best sounds.
  • Hmm, didn't think of headphones, how much is the line 6 pod xt?
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    $300 new. much less used.
    $400 new for the floor version. again, less used.

but seriously, way better tones available to you than with some crappy cheap amp.
  • Yeah, it'll only be for indoors, my buddy has like a guitar family (He's the one with the legit 50s Les Paul worth about $110.000) his dad knows one of the Dead Kennedies, its crazy how much they get around.

He is real hooked up though, so I could just go to his place for some jamming sessions on real nice gear. All I want the amp for is to basically make an electric guitar work.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Just steal something from them then !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Nothing wrong with a Roland MicroCube. Louder than you'd think, too.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    - IMHO . . . I think you should look into a different guitar than the Variax (almost everything that line-6 makes is real crap, and the guitar is no exception). I really suggest you read reviews from people that have owned them for a bit, not new owners (every one that just gets something is excited about it, then 6-months later they typically have a difference of opinion).

- Honestly, the POD isn't worth the bucks (it sounds fine if you keep it in the digital domain, but it really sounds like crap in a live setting - major tone loss and sound degradation, plus then you have to sink a bunch more $$$ into a foot controller if you want to change effects easier than stopping what you're doing, walking over to the device, and scrolling through the next effect you want - that's a pain in the ass).

- I think it'd be better to get yourself a cheaper guitar, and put the extra $$$ you saved into a better amp, even if it's just for home use. Fender makes a little 15-watt Blues JR amp that gives you tube tone at a cheaper price (and bonus, it even gets loud enough that you could use it in a lower setting gig), Someone mentioned Traynor (fine), or check out the Peavey classic series amps (they sound great), or even Crate has cheap Class-A tube amps (basically I'd say go for a cheap tube amp, since they sound better than solid state).

- As far as effects pedals, man just get Boss stuff, they're much more reliable, and they sound soo much better than Korg, or Zoom, or Line-6, or those awful Digitech pedals. Boss even makes effects pedal boards - and as someone else mentioned, you can even plug headphones into those if you don't want to get an amp (though headphones actually sound nothing like an amp, and as soon as you play through an amp with the same pedal you'll understand this - it sounds completely different) - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫