Reccomend Me A Guitar (Electric)

Boom The CatBoom The Cat Posts: 482
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Yeah, so just when the explorer looked good, I found something better, now I've heard bad shit about that and I need some reccomendations. I'm a begginer-intermediate and I dont want to spend more than about $550 but I could notch it up to $600 dont really want to though.

Reccomend away.

Thanks in advance.
no matter where you go,
there you are.

- brain of c
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Yeah, so just when the explorer looked good, I found something better, now I've heard bad shit about that and I need some reccomendations. I'm a begginer-intermediate and I dont want to spend more than about $550 but I could notch it up to $600 dont really want to though.

Reccomend away.

Thanks in advance.

I have a red Gibson Special Edition Epiphone (the kind made in Asia, not the kind made in north america) and I've had it for about 4 or 5 years, and haven't had a problem with it in any way shape or form. So that's a reliable model, imo. That cost me about $240-250 Cdn after tax.

That said, Washburn is my favorite brand although I couldn't recommend a particular model (I have a 12 String washburn, but no electric). My buddy lent me his when I was learning to play (10-15 yrs ago) and it was what I went looking to get when I got my own but Washburns were being sold less and less here in Nova Scotia and I couldn't find any so I got the Gibson.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    pick any guitar, someone is going to say shit about it. every thread here proves that.

just go try everything in your price range. stand in front of the wall, grab everything that remotely appeals to you and play them all.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    exhausted wrote:
    pick any guitar, someone is going to say shit about it. every thread here proves that.

just go try everything in your price range. stand in front of the wall, grab everything that remotely appeals to you and play them all.

+1

I'll never buy a guitar off of the internet again.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Yeah, the problem with that, is that I will completley hate playing with people around until I am amazing. So playing in store is gonna be real awkward.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
    Yeah, the problem with that, is that I will completley hate playing with people around until I am amazing. So playing in store is gonna be real awkward.

I'm in the exact same boat... I suck, and I find it embarrassing to play in front of others, but you just have to suck it up and do it anyway. A half-hour or so of minor embarrassment is much better than getting a guitar that you end up disliking when you get it. Trust me on that one... it's a mistake I've made.

And besides, people don't care if you suck anyway.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    DOSW wrote:
    I'm in the exact same boat... I suck, and I find it embarrassing to play in front of others, but you just have to suck it up and do it anyway. A half-hour or so of minor embarrassment is much better than getting a guitar that you end up disliking when you get it. Trust me on that one... it's a mistake I've made.

They would much rather you suck than go in there on a huge wankfest
  • DOSW wrote:

It's true. Nobody cares. Pick a guitar and try it out. With a simialr amp to the one you have if possible.

I have an Epiphone LP, the 56 goldtop model, and I love it. Not too expensive, but sounds great.

This thing you also want to do is see how heavy a guitar is, especially if you're a kid. Some of the gibsons/epi's are pretty heavy when you have em strapped on.

On the other hand, a V is a hard guitar to play sitting down and has a wierd balance to it standing up.

An ovation round back sounds pretty good plugged in, but most aren't great unplugged. Plus it's wierd sitting or standing...cause it's pushed out away from you.

You have to play a guitar in person or at least the same model.
    Leave your lady on the cement floor.

"You boo us, you call us pussies, and still we come back." EV NJ1 2006

2008 MSG 2
    2006 NJ 1, NJ 2
    2003 MSG 1
  • Ehhh, crap. Looks like I'm gonna have to try it out in store. But can you still recommend some, just incase I know people who have one or something.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    robert cray strat
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Godin Freeway Classic
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • for your price range, i'd say fender mexi strat or epiphone les paul. both solid guitars, and you should be able to order online without hassles. just take it to your local shop and get it set up once you get it.

i give these recommendations because i'm totally unoriginal!! actually, these are very popular choices...for a reason.

This is true. You could order these new from MusiciansFriend and take it to a local shop for set up and you'd have a very solid, affordable guitar.

The other thing is choice of a guitar depends what kind of sound you want. If youwant a Pearl Jam type sound, LP or strat/tele. If you want to sound like Bullet for My Valentine or Trivium, then you need something with EMG pickups...and so on and so on.
    Leave your lady on the cement floor.

"You boo us, you call us pussies, and still we come back." EV NJ1 2006

2008 MSG 2
    2006 NJ 1, NJ 2
    2003 MSG 1
  • I've taken a search around, and all I have thought of is...

Epiphone Les Paul Special II:
    (Which was amazing value at $150 but that worries me a little)

Epiphone G400: Heard mixed reviews, the bad ones seem to focus on the neck.

A bunch of pretty cheap Ibanezes

If anyone can give a low down on those it would be great.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • check out Schecter's Diamond Series guitars....I think they look, feel, and sound great for the money.
    "It's all happening"
  • Ooh, checking the Epi LP 100 out its that vs the G400 now
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    for your price range, i'd say fender mexi strat or epiphone les paul. both solid guitars, and you should be able to order online without hassles. just take it to your local shop and get it set up once you get it.

i give these recommendations because i'm totally unoriginal!! actually, these are very popular choices...for a reason.

Or the best of both worlds, a Godin! Canadian/American made, amazing.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • What type of music do you play?
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • I'm just a hobbyist so I'm nothing high calibre, I'm just into playing songs I like, and mabye trying my hand at writing some stuff.

I play pretty much anything, but not Heavy Metal and not Punk
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
    My first electric was an Epi LP Special II... they're pretty solid for the price. I also got an Epi LP Ultra for $500 about a month ago, and to my disappointment, it's really not that much better (more evidence to always PLAY before you buy). So a Special II is a pretty decent guitar for the price... just stay away from the sunburst. It's horrible looking. I also can't speak for any Squiers or Fenders, because I've never played either.

And like people said, remember to take it in to your local music shop to get it set up properly. Otherwise, you'll have to deal with lots of fret buzzing and bad intonation. It shouldn't cost you much more than $30 or so.
  • What do I say? This is my first timewith electrics, the only time I've ever gone into a music shop and done something like that, was when I had my fender acoustic restrung, I just gave them the strings and asked them to do it, they did.

Sorry for the ignorance, god I hate being new to stuff.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • Yeah, the problem with that, is that I will completley hate playing with people around until I am amazing. So playing in store is gonna be real awkward.

Haha, sorry just reminiscing about the first time I officially played for an audience, other than my friends. I played Thumbing My Way with a cover band I know...and I sucked big time. I dunno, I didn't really mess up, but I had just learned it so it still didn't sound quite right though. I have it on videotape somewhere; I'll need to dig that out soon, now that I actually know what I'm doing and see how much I embarrassed myself. :D At least most people there didn't seem to know the music at all anyway.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • What do I say? This is my first timewith electrics, the only time I've ever gone into a music shop and done something like that, was when I had my fender acoustic restrung, I just gave them the strings and asked them to do it, they did.

Sorry for the ignorance, god I hate being new to stuff.

Double post, I know.

Just ask for a setup, they'll know what you mean. And stringwise, I personally like the Elixers. They're a bit more expensive, but not much, and they last a LOT longer cuz they have this protective coating.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Yeah, I've sorted out the guitar, and people think I should set it up with Elixer 10 strings and a planetwaves tune pack. I keep hearing "Change the Pickups" but I am completley clueless about pickups. What do I use?
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
    Yeah, I've sorted out the guitar, and people think I should set it up with Elixer 10 strings and a planetwaves tune pack. I keep hearing "Change the Pickups" but I am completley clueless about pickups. What do I use?

I wouldn't worry about pickups until much later. Unless you feel like spending at least an extra $150.

And I hate to keep repeating this point, but play before you buy! Online reviews are a terrible way to judge an instrument compared to playing it because different people have different standards.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I've heard a lot of good things about teh Eastwood guitars. I haven't played any of the models, but I think that they would be worth a look in that price range.
  • get an e-bow for your guitar. play wishlist.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • DOSW wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about pickups until much later. Unless you feel like spending at least an extra $150.

And I hate to keep repeating this point, but play before you buy! Online reviews are a terrible way to judge an instrument compared to playing it because different people have different standards.

:( (sigh) It's gonna have to happen isnt it?
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    I have an Ibanez Talman http://staff.weber.edu/bbarraza/talman.jpg

Not cheap, not expensive (about 600 dollars...) I don't know if they still sell this one...I bought it in 1996 and still love to play everyday.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
    :( (sigh) It's gonna have to happen isnt it?

If you want the best instrument for you, then yeah. Like I said, don't worry about it. No one cares how good or bad you are, and there have been people who have been infinitely worse than you and me that have tried out different guitars in the shop. It's not like the people there will be breathing down your neck anyway... what they should do is give you your desired amp and let you plug in whatever you want at your own pace. And if they don't, ask them to.