Need help setting up my guitar

one way needleone way needle Posts: 196
edited October 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi guys!

I have a plain old Epi Les Paul. It's not been played much in the last few years so i'm giving it a good once over.

I'm having trouble with ghost notes higher up on the fretboard. I'm not quite sure how to fix that.
I also have a problem with the d string buzzing when not fretted. I don't seem to be able rasie the action at all.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks
(
=) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Change the strings (if you haven't already). What exactly do you mean by you're having trouble? Are they not coming in because of fret buzz?
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Nah they're new strings and have been broken in properly - staying in tune etc. The fret buzz in only the D string.

I meant that I'm having trouble eliminating the ghost notes sounding. I'm pretty sure that's what they're called - when you fret a string and as well as hearing the note you're playing, you hear a different, quieter note too.
    (
    (
  • please? anyone? heheh
    (
    (
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Maybe you're getting harmonic overtones like I do on my old ES-175.
    Try taping groups of strings together after the bridge (before the stop-tailpiece).
    Put a little band of clear tape around the E & A strings, then a band around the D & G, then the B & E.
    That's what I do every time I put strings on my 175 (works like a charm).

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    Might have something wrong with the neck ( i dono what condition you left it in) but my old guitar I got back from a friend after letting her borrow it, ended up having the neck uneven on one side (I dont knonw how the hell that happened to it). But just throwing some Ideas out there! I know that might not have anything to do with your "ghost notes" but maybe the buzz.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."