Guitar strings you use?

one way needleone way needle Posts: 196
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey hey, to those of you who play guitar, what make and gauge strings do you use? Also what make would you recommend above others?

I've tried using GHS Boomers lately and must say they're pretty damn good compared to anything i've tried.
(
=) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    GHS boomers: 11-50
  • I use light gauge Martin .12s on my Sigma acoustic 12-string. I've used mediums and heavies but I'm enjoying the lights right now.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I've played 10-46 guage on my electrics for as long as I can remember. Currently a GHS user, but I like D'Addario and DR as well.

I'm a reformed Slinky player, too. I've been off Ernie Ball for 4 years straight.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    Acoustic: Martin SP Phospher Broze Ex. Lights
    Electric: Fender Original/Bullet(depending on my mood) 9s

been using those as long as i can remember
  • ERNIE BALL power slinkys. 11 to 40somethin
    just made the switch DOWN from 13s on the acoustic though...can't take it no more...fingers bleeding but the sound alas
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    i use ernie's super slinky 0.09s but they break like a bitch. ironically, i have friggin steel cables on my acoustic. my poor fingers wont get used to them and they are still in goog condition so i dont wanna swap. on my electric i think im gonna swap to regular slinkys
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • NullifidianNullifidian Posts: 110
    I'll have to vote for the elixir ployweb lights. They do fray after a while but I think they have one good sound. Personal opinion though I guess :)
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
  • Electric: GHS Boomers, 10's. Most pleasing I've found so far, I've been on them for a while now.

Acoustic: Elixer poly's, light gauge. I've been around the world with Acoustic strings and I always end back up with Elixers.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Elixer Lights 12's on my acoustic occasionally the Daddario coated variety. also the DR Phospher Bronze acoustic strings

DR Tite Fits/Pure Blues or Hi Beam 10's on my Les Paul

DR Pure Blues 9's or GHS Boomer 9's or Dean Markley Blue Steel 9's on my strats.

My preffered string is DR on Electric and Elixer on Acoustic.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    Ernie Balls on my electrics-that have always lasted the longest and broke the least.
    Cornell pwns u
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,281
    I recently put D'Addario coated strings (12's) on my acoustic. They are fantastic!!! They cost a bit more but are totally worth it. Not only do they sound amazing, but they are suppost to last twice as long as non-coated strings.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    SOS strings, aka Scalar Strings.
    They are also known as Snake Oil Strings.
    These things are amazing, nickel, pure vintage bliss. I have tried them all and these are the only ones I will ever play with.
    Some people have had the same set for years. I go thorugh a set of GHS every 3 days, the SOS last me a month.
    PLay the first 3 chords of Wind Crys Mary and you too will be sold.
    If you want to give them a try PM PinkStrat on Gear Pages and he will hook you up.
    These are the best IMO.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    mca47 wrote:
    I recently put D'Addario coated strings (12's) on my acoustic. They are fantastic!!! They cost a bit more but are totally worth it. Not only do they sound amazing, but they are suppost to last twice as long as non-coated strings.

I am a huge fan of the D'Addario EXP coated strings. I HATE Elixer strings, they just don't feel natural to me, but the D'Addarios feel pretty good. They're still a coated string, but they don't feel like I'm playing plastic strings, at least.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    ghs boomers 9-42. on acoustic i have no idea i do have pack of ghs acoustics lying around here. but thats nots whats on it now. i might be the only person that does this. but i never change strings, unless they break. i dont like the sound of new strings. i have a pair of ghs on my one strat for atleast 3 years now, no kidding.
    i might be the only person that does this. but i never change strings, unless they break. i dont like the sound of new strings. i have a pair of ghs on my one strat for atleast 3 years now, no kidding.

I'm that way on acoustics... I love the sound of a good set of bronze strings that have aged for at least 3 or 4 months, up until they rust out (which is usually about 18 months). But my electrics get new strings every 3 months if I'm not playing much, and every month if I'm playing a lot. I like mellow acoustics, but I like my electrics to have some punch.
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    Ernie Ball Super Slinkies 9's on electrics. I might move up to 10's but it's alot of work to change all of my guitars...perhaps just the Tele then if I like it I'll do the others.

For bass it's the same again, Ernie Ball Super Slinkies 45's. I had the Hybrid Slinky Stainless Steel bad boys on for the last 8months or so. They wear really well and mellowed out quite nicely but I thought I should give nickle a go again.

Rotosound are my substitue string as that's what the studio/rehersal rooms stock here. Fine strings. I wouldn't notice the difference between those and EB's to be honest. Good enough for the likes of John Paul Jones and what not.
  • ernie ball
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • But my electrics get new strings every 3 months if I'm not playing much, and every month if I'm playing a lot. I like mellow acoustics, but I like my electrics to have some punch.

Yeah i'd have to agree, it's definetely worth changing strings on electrics regularly. I hate dull sounding strings. However i've noticed that GHS boomers are very durable and do tend to last a good few months of regular play. I use 11s for rhthym guitar, so i'm guessing that using heavier stings has an effect on how long they'll last compared to lighter ones.
    (
    (
  • I was using D'addario (sp?) 10's for a long ass time, then my other guitar player convinced me to try the GHS Boomers 10's. They sound good, but I have snapped two 3rd strings since I started using them, which was about 4 shows ago. I never snapped my D'addario's, so I'm switching back.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    exhausted wrote:
    GHS boomers: 11-50

me too. :) just went up from 10s.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Hey hey, to those of you who play guitar, what make and gauge strings do you use? Also what make would you recommend above others?

I've tried using GHS Boomers lately and must say they're pretty damn good compared to anything i've tried.
    I use GHS white bronze and Martin M150 Bronze Wood Acoustic (what McCready uses)
  • Cool! Out of interest, those of you that use GHS strings, how did you find out about and why did you choose to use them? I'll confess that it was because I saw the notes with stage flow-diagrams on the PJ synergy site! Heheh...
    (
    (
    Cool! Out of interest, those of you that use GHS strings, how did you find out about and why did you choose to use them? I'll confess that it was because I saw the notes with stage flow-diagrams on the PJ synergy site! Heheh...
    I started using them because a friend of mine (who is an incredible guitarist) uses them and recommended them to me. I also saw that McCready uses these, but that was inconsequential...
  • GHS 11's on electrics for the most part, and D'addario coated ones or Martin bronze 12's on acoustics.

I like GHS smooth 12's for jazz on a semihollow body, but I'm getting too old to bend them. :(

Ernie Balls used to be the ones way back when I played every night, but now it seems like I break one every time I put a set on, so I gave up on them. I hardly ever break GHS's.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Cool! Out of interest, those of you that use GHS strings, how did you find out about and why did you choose to use them? I'll confess that it was because I saw the notes with stage flow-diagrams on the PJ synergy site! Heheh...

I was getting sick of how slinky the Ernie Ball strings are, so I decided to find another brand. I knew both Mike and Stone were playing Boomers, so I went there first. And they fit me well, so I've stuck with them. When I can't find GHS, I get D'Addario or DR, both treat me well.
  • Elixir .12 Acoustic
    Elixir .11 Electric (Have no clue why I use .11s)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404

I started out with Ernie Balls and they broke all the time, I had seen an add for Boomers I think, probably with Pearl Jam in the users list, then I saw them in the store and gave them a try. The DR's I use now are much less resonant than the boomers but I feel like they last longer and it's a more controlled tone.

pretty much I use what I can find. but I prefer DR's and Boomers for electric.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Elixir .12 Acoustic
    Elixir .11 Electric (Have no clue why I use .11s)
    I used Elixir's for a while...liked them at first, but they seemed to break pretty easily.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I use Snake Oil Strings on my electrics...11-52 w/ wound G.

On acoustics, I use John Pearse mediums...pretty close to the 11-52 sets I use on my electrics.

I use them because they work best for me. :)