Traynor amps

one way needleone way needle Posts: 196
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Quick question, is there a website i can look at? If not where's good to read up on them? Harmony central my best bet?
(
=) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yorkville.com for the specs.

harmony central for the reviews.
  • cool thanks :)
    (
    (
  • Harmony-Central has good reviews, but be careful of the people who have the "I just bought this amp 5 minutes ago and it's the best thing ever!" mentality. Their reviews are biased are worth very little.

Also you can listen to sound clips from Musiciansfriend.com
    my favourite traylor is the 50 blue.

i loved that amp. too bad it was way too much power for me.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'd also look at http://www.rivera.com

http://www.rivera.com/limchub40.php This is one of the coolest amps built, same kind of rig and idea as the 50 blue. I personally think it could be upgraded using a different speaker, but that's me. It's an awesome design.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhausted wrote:
    my favourite traylor is the 50 blue.

i loved that amp. too bad it was way too much power for me.

i was looking at that too. really pretty, but it's way out of my league!
    (
    (
  • exhausted wrote:

Nice. But you know the problem for me is that most sellers on this kinda item wont ship to the UK. Sucks a bit but i'll just keep looking.
    (
    (
    shit. sorry, i didn't notice your location.
  • exhausted wrote:
    shit. sorry, i didn't notice your location.

hehe no probs. it's just a bit crap that pretty much anyone selling an amp like this is gonna be situated in america. think i'll email the guy anyway and see if he's consider me, can't hurt to.
    (
    (
  • I scored when I got my Traynor.

I bought it like 4 years ago when they first came out. I went into my local music shop (R.I.P), and the owner, a really accomplished musician and gear head, told me I should try playing with the YVC80. I had never seen or heard of it ever.

Yorkville was selling them for like $600 Canadian. I got mine and the YCX212 cab for a grand total of $700 CDN.

Now adays, you see used YVC40s going for like 500-600. I don't even want to know how much the retail value of the 80 watt ones are now.

Oh wait, yes I do...
    :D
  • If you get a traynor, get the YCV series but get the WR...it has a vintage 30 speaker which makes the sound so much, crisper and smoother...

yeah Pac, i love Riveras...the first time i heard them was when i saw Vai play and Eric Sardinas opened up and he had a half stack of a Rivera and then a small 1x12 combo rivera amp...ive wanted one so bad, just so fucking expensive!!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • mk333mk333 Posts: 17
    What years are you guys talking about? I own a early 70's bassman. Is this a good amp. I know it sounds great with guitar running through it but for bass...?
    Anyways just trying to get some info on this relic.
    laziness is our downfall
  • mk333 wrote:
    What years are you guys talking about? I own a early 70's bassman. Is this a good amp. I know it sounds great with guitar running through it but for bass...?

mines a 2005, Dirty's is a 2001 i think
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    mk333 wrote:

Early 70's is about 3 to 4 years after the CBS company bought fender so I'd assume it's silverface. It's a really cool amp for guitar. It's not the most coveted but it will do the clean thing very nice a good overdrive and distortion will suit you well on that amp. You can run a bass through it certainly but it's probably not the best option especially at high volumes as you could bottom out the old speakers.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I agree that the Vintage 30 speaker does sound better in the Traynor's, the seventy80s in the other ones has it's place too. The Vintage 30 speaker is a lot louder to begin with, but once the seventy80s get worked in, this takes awhile, they sound great. They'll start to distort at just the right volume (a freakin' loud one) and they develop a characterisitic of smoothness to them.
  • I agree that the Vintage 30 speaker does sound better in the Traynor's, the seventy80s in the other ones has it's place too. The Vintage 30 speaker is a lot louder to begin with, but once the seventy80s get worked in, this takes awhile, they sound great. They'll start to distort at just the right volume (a freakin' loud one) and they develop a characterisitic of smoothness to them.

lol yeah i mean i got the 40 watt, and you got the 80 with an extension, are you fucking nuts man? lol

at volume 3 things were falling off of my dresser

anytime i play with people in the house its at 1/2 and anytime their out its at 1, ha
  • I can't remember, but does the 40 watt have a master volume?

I know that when I crank the master, I can't even turn the amp on in my apartment. It would probably break windows.

When I was in highschool I played a auditorium to 1700 people, and I played unmiced with the master at 6, pre-amp volume at 5. It shook the whole place, and nonetheless was badass.

• I can't remember, but does the 40 watt have a master volume?

I know that when I crank the master, I can't even turn the amp on in my apartment. It would probably break windows.

When I was in highschool I played a auditorium to 1700 people, and I played unmiced with the master at 6, pre-amp volume at 5. It shook the whole place, and nonetheless was badass.

no it just has 2 pre-amp volumes
  • mk333mk333 Posts: 17
    thanx, just wandering. I've never had it past 1. Sounds nice at 1 though.
    laziness is our downfall