Voltage levels on amps

one way needleone way needle Posts: 196
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys, a quick awkward question for you. I'm in the UK and want to get a Traynor YCV40WR amp. The question i have is would the amp work ok when plugged in, considering that in here, our mains power is around 220 - 240 volts - higher than in the US etc.
(
=) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hey guys, a quick awkward question for you. I'm in the UK and want to get a Traynor YCV40WR amp. The question i have is would the amp work ok when plugged in, considering that in here, our mains power is around 220 - 240 volts - higher than in the US etc.

i think it would, i have the same amp (amazing amp, PM me for questions) but i think the only thing that would happen is it could be a tiny bit louder, i honestly dont know
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Cool thanks. Do you know what the actual voltage on the amp itself is? I guess thats my main concern about getting one, since in the past ive known american, electronic products to burn out when plugged into the uk mains power.
    (
    (
  • no it would not be louder, i think you would need a transformer
  • it doesnt say on the amp
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
    You will definitely need a transformer if and only if you buy a US market model. Why do that anyway?
    "You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    If you plug a 110 version of that amp into your 220, it will smoke and then blow up. It might even shoot flames out of the back. Do not do this unless you are a trained stunt professional, and electrician/evil genius type, or a pyromaniac.
  • A lot of amps have dual-stage transformers for just this reason. I know that at least (non-vintage) Marshall amps have a switch on the back to choose 120/240 volts. I'd contact the customer service folks from Traynor and ask them if there's a way to address your concern, or if they have models built specifically for your market.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • A lot of amps have dual-stage transformers for just this reason. I know that at least (non-vintage) Marshall amps have a switch on the back to choose 120/240 volts. I'd contact the customer service folks from Traynor and ask them if there's a way to address your concern, or if they have models built specifically for your market.

Yeah i'll have to do that. As far as i know the only way I could get one is to order from the US, so it may be that there's only the 110 volts version. I'll update this when i find out i guess!
    (
    (
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the service manual shows an diagram for 230V wiring so it must be available.
  • Check with Yorkville Europe. There's a distributor in England

http://www.yorkvilleeurope.com/

I would bet that they make an export model that's tailored to your 230/ 240 volts.
    Sometimes there IS a dual transformer on newer amps, but there's also another difference with your power:

We have 60 cycle A/C , and you have 50 Cycle. That can change the sound a bit, too. I think that depends on the amp and on the ear. Some musicians say they can tell, some can't. If you get the European export model of the amp then it'll be set up for your 240 volt 50 cycle for sure.
    Definitely check with Yorkville first.

I used to get over that way to play a long while ago, and I had a step down transformer to make my amps usable, (Steps the 240 volts down to 120), but I finally got a Fender European Deluxe and it was less hassle. Those step down transformers are heavy. That was 15+ years ago, so I don't know if amps more adaptable now or not.

Nice amp, by the way! :cool:
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

http://www.yorkvilleeurope.com/

I would bet that they make an export model that's tailored to your 230/ 240 volts.
    Sometimes there IS a dual transformer on newer amps, but there's also another difference with your power:

We have 60 cycle A/C , and you have 50 Cycle. That can change the sound a bit, too. I think that depends on the amp and on the ear. Some musicians say they can tell, some can't. If you get the European export model of the amp then it'll be set up for your 240 volt 50 cycle for sure.
    Definitely check with Yorkville first.

I used to get over that way to play a long while ago, and I had a step down transformer to make my amps usable, (Steps the 240 volts down to 120), but I finally got a Fender European Deluxe and it was less hassle. Those step down transformers are heavy. That was 15+ years ago, so I don't know if amps more adaptable now or not.

Nice amp, by the way! :cool:

Cheers for that, though i was one step ahead of you. I already emailed the guy and unfortunately he only deals with Yorkville PA systems which is a bugger.

So i'm left with having to check with Yorkville like you said. I'll also ask about transformers too though. I browsed online today to get an idea of what they're like. Seems to me as if one would do the job just fine!
    (
    (
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    enharmonic wrote:
    If you plug a 110 version of that amp into your 220, it will smoke and then blow up. It might even shoot flames out of the back. Do not do this unless you are a trained stunt professional, and electrician/evil genius type, or a pyromaniac.

Ha ha, if this were the eddie van halen forum we'd probably have a section to post pictures of blown tranformers using a variac.

(I was gonna say blown trannies but you guys have dirty minds)

I'm fairly certain traynors can be set up to run at UK voltage, looks like the you break it we fix it warranty is only valid in the US and Canada though.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Ha ha, if this were the eddie van halen forum we'd probably have a section to post pictures of blown tranformers using a variac.

(I was gonna say blown trannies but you guys have dirty minds)

I'm fairly certain traynors can be set up to run at UK voltage, looks like the you break it we fix it warranty is only valid in the US and Canada though.

Heheh...

Yeah the warranty thing sucks a bit. That's why i'm checking it out with Yorkville etc first. No reply from them yet........... *waits*
    (
    (