Another TRAYNOR amp thread

one way needleone way needle Posts: 196
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
So i'm at the point where i basically need to try out the ycv40WR and the ycv50blue to get an idea of which would be best, or whether either are right for me. From reading reviews etc i'm leaning towards the 40WR amp. If anyone could simply outline the key differences in tone between the two it'd be really helpful.
Cheers.
(
=) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 40 watts tube is fucking loud!!!

i have the 40WR and its great
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Hah yeah to be fair the 40 would be all i'll need for a while! Hope to be getting some small to mid-level gigs over the next year. Fingers crossed!!
    (
    (
  • even a large gig

all you have to do is mic it up
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • The major difference between the two is the power tube type.

The 40WR has a pair of Sovtek 5881 power tubes, which are in the 6L6 family of tube. What this means is a more "American" or "California" sound, in line with Fender and Mesa Boogie. A tad saggy (compresses easy), healthy bass response, tends to be a tad warmer. 40 watt output rating is still really loud, and you could add an extension cabinet to make it louder. This amp really strikes me as a copy of the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but with a usable overdrive.

The 50Blue is much the same amp, except it uses a pair of Sovtek EL34 power tubes. These tubes provide more of a "British" sound, meaning Marshall or Hiwatt. Less sag, scooped mids, kinda harsh in the treble. 50 watts isn't much more than 40 when you're talking volume levels... and, like the 40, you can add an extension cabinet (both amps can handle a 4-ohm load, but have an 8-ohm speaker).

Both amps also use a Celestion Vintage 30, which is probably the most transparent, predictable speaker you could ever ask for. Much better than the cheaper Jensens and Eminences Fender is pushing in the Blues and Hot Rod amps. Really, the only question is whether you want a Fender sound or a Marshall sound.

*Quick note on the extension cab issue: Since it already has an 8-ohm speaker, but can handle a 4-ohm load, you would add another cab whose impedance is 8 ohms. I'd recommend a 1x12 or 2x12 sealed cabinet, which would add a lot of volume and make for a fuller sound. Not necessary, mind you, but before anyone asks...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • even a large gig

all you have to do is mic it up

Exactly!

And thanks a lot MIG that was really useful! :)
    (
    (
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The major difference between the two is the power tube type.

The 40WR has a pair of Sovtek 5881 power tubes, which are in the 6L6 family of tube. What this means is a more "American" or "California" sound, in line with Fender and Mesa Boogie. A tad saggy (compresses easy), healthy bass response, tends to be a tad warmer. 40 watt output rating is still really loud, and you could add an extension cabinet to make it louder. This amp really strikes me as a copy of the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but with a usable overdrive.

The 50Blue is much the same amp, except it uses a pair of Sovtek EL34 power tubes. These tubes provide more of a "British" sound, meaning Marshall or Hiwatt. Less sag, scooped mids, kinda harsh in the treble. 50 watts isn't much more than 40 when you're talking volume levels... and, like the 40, you can add an extension cabinet (both amps can handle a 4-ohm load, but have an 8-ohm speaker).

Both amps also use a Celestion Vintage 30, which is probably the most transparent, predictable speaker you could ever ask for. Much better than the cheaper Jensens and Eminences Fender is pushing in the Blues and Hot Rod amps. Really, the only question is whether you want a Fender sound or a Marshall sound.

*Quick note on the extension cab issue: Since it already has an 8-ohm speaker, but can handle a 4-ohm load, you would add another cab whose impedance is 8 ohms. I'd recommend a 1x12 or 2x12 sealed cabinet, which would add a lot of volume and make for a fuller sound. Not necessary, mind you, but before anyone asks...

50Blue also adds a Master Volume for what it's worth....
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    50Blue also adds a Master Volume for what it's worth....

I thought the 40WR had a Master... my bad.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I thought the 40WR had a Master... my bad.

Just found that out the other day myself actually.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I found some pictures of me and my loud ass amp. Even louder in these pics as you'll see.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c350/Dirty_Frank/
  • I found some pictures of me and my loud ass amp. Even louder in these pics as you'll see.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c350/Dirty_Frank/

yeah well common a marshall 1960 cab? yeah thats gonna be loud

yeah the 40wr doesnt have a master volume, although it would be nice once in a while i dont think i really miss it....
  • I thought the 40WR had a Master... my bad.

I don't think a master volume matters too much, because I think the only point of it would be to get gain at low volumes, but there's a separate gain control on the amp (ycv40)
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?