Studio headphones

one way needleone way needle Posts: 196
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Yo, I'm looking into getting a decent pair of headphones for recording purposes & also just playing my amp through at night. Can anyone make any recommend anything? Quality is more important than how much money I can save! Cheers
(
=) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 420420 Posts: 24
    Yo, I'm looking into getting a decent pair of headphones for recording purposes & also just playing my amp through at night. Can anyone make any recommend anything? Quality is more important than how much money I can save! Cheers

Sony Pro MDR-7506 - Cheap Studio Quality. I have seen many Studios with these phones in them instead of the $500+ headsets. Excellent quality for the loot.
  • mohomoho Posts: 541
    Beyer dynamic dt-150s
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • I'd go with the Beyer DT-250 over most anything else. They can sound a little dull until you get used to them, since their response is very flat and there's a slight roll-off in the very top end but, by the end of a long session your ears won't be nearly as fatigued as they would be with most headphones. My only complaint is that the cans are a little shallow for my sticky-outy ears.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    AKG 240's. They're accurate, and you can wear them for hours without fatigue...very comfortable cans.

as always, watch the volume with headphones :)
  • remember that a good set of studio monitors is required for good mixed, when mixing/mastering you should never depend on just a headphone mix.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Cool thanks a lot guys!
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    make sure what ever you get....you go for accuracy. It's a pain in the butt if you do the mixing or recording on bass heavy headphones because it effects how you set everything up.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Before you buy anything, have a thorough look at this site:

http://headphones.com.au

Probably the most comprehensive run-downs on all the better headphones going around.
  • Hey guys, I am also in the market for a new set of studio headphones. I don't want to spend more than $200. What do you guys think of these?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-Pro80-Closed-Studio-Headphones?sku=272025

A friend of mine had these and they sound great and are very comfortable, but I am worried that they may have too much bass. I don't tend on using them for final mixes, but for close mic recording. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

PS, I currently own these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sony-Pro-MDR7506-Headphones?sku=271056
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    If you're using any headphones during recording, you'll probably want a closed back headphone. You typically don't want any ambient noise in the booth/room that the microphones will pick up - open back phones allow some noise to escape the headphone, which depending on how loud you have them, the microphone can pick that up.
    Both of those headphones are closed back, and if you're only using the headphones for reference why bother spending $200 when you already have a pair that'll do the job. The Beyerdynamic does have a great frequency response, but again as you said, you're not using them for final mixdown.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    If you're using any headphones during recording, you'll probably want a closed back headphone. You typically don't want any ambient noise in the booth/room that the microphones will pick up - open back phones allow some noise to escape the headphone, which depending on how loud you have them, the microphone can pick that up.
    Both of those headphones are closed back, and if you're only using the headphones for reference why bother spending $200 when you already have a pair that'll do the job. The Beyerdynamic does have a great frequency response, but again as you said, you're not using them for final mixdown.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

Thanks. I appreciate your insight.
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13