Has your band ever covered a Pearl Jam Song?

skinneyskinney Posts: 5
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was just curious as to what song(s) your band may have covered while playing a show. I used to play in a band called "GodHead" (before there was a famous band called ``godhead''), and we covered "Spin the Black Circle" and "Corduroy". I can only hope that we came within 1/10th of doing these songs justice. I loved playing the songs live, made me feel like I was somehow close to the band.

-Shane
Yield Tour - Minneapolis 1998.06.30
Binaural Tour - Detriot 2000.10.07
Binaural Tour - St. Louis 2000.10.11
Riot Act Tour - Fargo 2003.06.15
Riot Act Tour - St. Paul 2003.06.16
Pearl Jam Tour - Las Vegas 2006.07.06
Pearl Jam Tour - San Diego 2006.07.07
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    I love Pearl Jam, so every band I've been in has done a pearl jam song or two.
    Alive, Even Flow, Black, Betterman(with full version of Save It For Later tagged onto the end), Daughter(with full version of Another Brick In The Wall tagged onto the end), Corduroy, Nothingman, Garden. I think that's all.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    We do Do The Evolution whenever there's a second guitar player around.. Also, whe fuck around with Not For You every now and then; it's such a nice riff to jam to :)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • My band does Alive, Dissident, Black, Yellow Ledbetter, and coming soon, RVM. We've actually talked about doing an all Pearl Jam show.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i used to play elderly woman and wishlist once in a while. those were solo acoustic things though.

i actually tended to learn the songs that pj covered more than actual pj songs.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    band- alive, yellow ledbetter, corduroy, i am mine

me solo at open mic - black, long road, yellow led, i am mine, i got id

and when i was playing PJ some guy ran up and requested red mosquito, which proved he knows his PJ shit......i would have done it but my time was up
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • yes

save you
    spin the black circle
    rockin in the free world (if u wanna count that)
    lukin
    wma
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • DigMeOutDigMeOut Posts: 29
    one band has done do the evolution, porch, and alive
    my current one did state of love and trust
    8-23-00, 8-24-00, 8-25-00, 11/14/02(letterman), 4-30-03, 6-6-03, 7-6-03, 7-8-03, 7-9-03, 7-12-03, 7-14-03, 9-28-04, 9-29-04. 10-1-04, 3-18-05 (northwest school), 9-2-05, 9-4-05, 9-15-05, 9-16-05, 9-30-05, 10-1-05
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    i did the intro to corduroy (its all i can play i am just starting and my 'audience' was my cat)

:)

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Once my drummer friend and I get together, and maybe another guitarist, we will do PJ covers nonstop!
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • I was told I needed to pick a few songs for myself to sing. I'm thinking of Better Man and Thin Air. I have done Small Town between sets in the past.

My band does a lot of Springsteen and Temptations tunes, and I usually only get to sing either Werewolves of London or Train in Vain. I don't think the PJ tunes I'm picking are much of a stretch.
    - Justin

You think the Slayer tour is out, or what?

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
  • not with a band but solo:

mostly:

I Am Mine
    Sometimes
    Man Of The Hour
    RVM
    Small Town
    Long Road
    Immortality
    Parting Ways
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • skinneyskinney Posts: 5
    I was thinkin about it, and I really wish I would have gotten around to playing: Not For You, I got Id, In Hiding, In My Tree, Lukin, Leash, Rats and Sonic Reducer. And haha, a whole bunch more probably. I love the idea of an entire set of PJ covers. It'd be hard to go wrong with that! I wish I could have like 1 private guitar lesson from each Mike & Stone and a vocal lesson from Ed.
    Yield Tour - Minneapolis 1998.06.30
    Binaural Tour - Detriot 2000.10.07
    Binaural Tour - St. Louis 2000.10.11
    Riot Act Tour - Fargo 2003.06.15
    Riot Act Tour - St. Paul 2003.06.16
    Pearl Jam Tour - Las Vegas 2006.07.06
    Pearl Jam Tour - San Diego 2006.07.07
  • me and a friend known as my bass player (the person i play with the most by far) play these songs very well:

sometimes
    hail hail
    who you are
    in my tree
    smile
    red mosquito
    mankind
    elderly women... small town
    rocking in the free world (by neil young of course)
    wishlist

and are working on several others at the moment

we also do a bunch from other bands... but we like to focus on pearl jam. :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • upina2001upina2001 Posts: 764
    "People Tree", a college band from Bloomington, were good friends of mine. I used to sing with them all the time and we did Even Flow, Yellow Ledbetter, Betterman, Black & Rearview.
    That is fun as hell.

Oh, and anyone near Indy that is looking for a singer for a rock band...pm me.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• pogsmogspogsmogs Posts: 23
    A band i was in back in 2002 played rocking in the free world at a couple of gigs.
    Melbourne: 17/March/95, 18/March/95, 2/March/98, 3/March/98, 19/Feb/03
    Brisbane: 10/Nov/06, 11/Nov/06, 25/Nov/09, 10/March/11
  • ok where do i start??

we play evenflow, alive, black, betterman, SOTAT, lukin and we are starting work on RVM, daughter, grievance and breath.

its kinda good being in a band where each member is obsessed with Pear Jam.

ps r name is Breakerfall aswell!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    ok where do i start??

we play evenflow, alive, black, betterman, SOTAT, lukin and we are starting work on RVM, daughter, grievance and breath.

its kinda good being in a band where each member is obsessed with Pear Jam.

ps r name is Breakerfall aswell!
    great band name!

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Pappas wrote:
    great band name!

oh ull be hearing from us soon, we will be hitting the adelaide scene hopefully once two of r band menbers come back from Croatia!

oh and i forgot that we play jeremy as well.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • freedomboyfreedomboy Posts: 129
    Present Tense, Rearviewmirror, Insignificance, Smile, Indifferance, I Am Mine, Oceans, Bugs, Wishlist, and... Elderly Woman (just for fun)

I do few covers... this is how important Pearl Jam is to me...
    Freedom is a state of mind...
  • VacantVacant Posts: 50
    When my band first started out we did Betterman and Immortality. I think I'm going to convince them to do RVM, Insignificance...and EVENFLOW. :D Too bad our bass player NEVER shows up and our drummer connections fell through. So now, it's just 2 pathetically hopeful guitar players. :)
    --Evenflow Psycho #0019--

Back after a 3 year personal hiatus!
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,135
    we have done at one time or another the following:

black
    last kiss
    small town
    betterman
    blood
    release
    hunger strike (i get to do ed's part :) )
    can't help falling in love (from vegas 2000)

and we usually close our final set with this combo:

rockin in the free world (i get to sing that one)
    baba o reily (if you can count that one)
    yellow ledbetter

if i play solo acousticly i play:
    low light
    long road
    throw your arms around me
    wishlist
    off he goes
    last soldier
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Solo acoustic gigs:

Long Road
    Elderly Woman
    Black
    Throw Your Arms Around Me (I know it isn't a PJ song, but I sure identify it with EV)
    Hide Your Love Away (I don't identify this with EV, but still they have played it)

With my old band:
    I Got Shit
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Black
    Betterman (w/ Why Can't I Touch it tag)
    Immortality
    And of course,

Rockin' in the Free World (featuring my best NY impression on the bridge solo, and my lead guitar players, MM tribute on the outro solo \m/)

Pearl Jam is great. I need a new band.
    There's No Code.
  • tmud91087tmud91087 Posts: 97
    having been in a band yet but in solo acoustic shows ive played

black
    yellow led
    elderly women....etc
    i am mine
    off he goes
    nothingman
    betterman
    hide your love away
    in my tree
    smile
    wishlist
    all those yesterdays
    5/24/06 - Boston
    5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08 - Mansfield
    6/30/08 - Mansfield
    8/2/08 - Eddie in Boston (FRONT ROW!)
  • Duck LakeDuck Lake Posts: 1
    our band name originally was red mosquito.
    we now consistently play neil young and pj songs when we do covers, we also play some guess who and are throwing in hindu times by oasis next show. but we consistently play (depending on time)
    go
    animal
    hail hail
    sad
    "you shut your bitch up, or I'm taking you down to the pavement." - Bill Bailey aka Axl Rose.
  • My old band played Not For You, and my curernt band's first song we played together was Even Flow. We tried to play Brain of J but the vocals are just too damn hard to emulate.
  • Tom-JoadTom-Joad Posts: 17
    After screwing up with I am mine because I can't sing that low, after realising that I couldn't play guitar and sing on Do the Evolution, we settled for Corduroy. That's a really nice song to play!

And I'm not counting Rockin in the free world and Fortunate Son as Pearl Jam covers because... well, they're not!
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    This is our setlist so far:)

State Of Love And Trust
    Hail, Hail
    Last Exit
    God's Dice
    Alive
    Even Flow
    Breath
    Daughter
    Animal
    Save You
    Release
    Tremor Christ
    Corduroy
    Nothing As It Seems
    Porch
    Black
    Rearviewmirror
    Jeremy
    Given To Fly
    Elderly Woman...
    Do The Evolution
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Hunger Strike (Temple Of The Dog)
    Dissident
    Oceans
    Lukin
    Satan's Bed
    Not For You
    Go
    Cornell pwns u
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    My bf's band, who do mostly covers, some old obscure stuff too, has added Black to their set lists. My bf is the drummer, but sings for Black, as well as some Stones stuff and Eric Clapton. In my opinion...and I'm glad he doesn't read thse boards, they do it too slow, similar to how Stain'd does it. I hate Stain'd's...LOL, that was weird how to pluralize that...anyway...I hate their version very much. I have heard versions where Pearl Jam does it slow, but I like it when it is a bit faster.
    Its funny cuz most of my bf's band audience aren't what i would think of as Pearl Jam fans, or even know Pearl Jam songs, except the ones that got overplayed on the radio, but old people will slow dance to Black everytime!!

I am betting the band wiill slowly add more PJ songs as we are really turning the rest of the band members onto PJ. We even took them, at our expense, to the concert in 2003 at Pine Knob, (DTE for those who don't know the old name). They loved it and have been buying PJ music ever since.
    Now, I have written some songs for them to do as originals. They seem to practice them and like them, yet I haven't heard them in public yet. I beg them to just let me hear one of my songs publically so I can get the audience reaction. I worked hard with the lead guitarist to get it all right and we came out with two great songs so far. I want to hear them, dammit, live. I have them on tape and my kids, who don't know its my song, have listened to this tape a lot and I will catch them sometimes just singing it as they are going about the day. So, they are young and know ggod music. This one has got into their heads enough to make them just thoughtlessly sing it. It must be good.
    But, our bass player is a dick and won't get involved enough to add his part to the thing to finish it off.
    Save room for dessert!
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    exhausted wrote:
    i used to play elderly woman and wishlist once in a while. those were solo acoustic things though.

i did a solo acoustic performance of Elderly Woman at a bar once. everyone in the bar was singing along - loudly. it was really cool. plus, it drowned out my no-where-near-eddie-soundng voice. :)
  • We've never played a Pearl Jam song because I'm the only PJ fan and "grunge" fan except maybe for Nirvana which everyone in the band appreciates atleast a little.

We have the two guitars so its ok, but I think we should fire one of them, he sucks and lives far away. Also he hates jammin' and is never ready/concentrated or focused.