A Question for Guitarists

KovoKovo Posts: 255
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been playing guitar for 5 years now, and I love it. The only thing is, it's not as fun too play anymore, it's just not the same. Any suggestions on how to make it more exciting again? Thanks.
I shouldn't have to fight a battle I'll never win, just to lose those I've never had.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    try new things. or try a different instrument for a bit and come back to guitar.
  • learn new songs

do you know how to tap? if not you can practice that for a while, takes weeks to just get good at it
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    play every song you know...backwards...meaning that you should just reverse the order in which you play all of the chords, play the changes from back to front.

Or, just buy the Jeff Buckley song book, and work on your chops :)
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Be more spontaneous... like, take your guitar out to dinner once in a while, or plan a trip to Europe together.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Try acoustic finger picking. Get out and play with other people who can push your playing and show you other techniques. Learn Saxophone or something perhaps?
    www.FatherParanoia.com
  • Be more spontaneous... like, take your guitar out to dinner once in a while, or plan a trip to Europe together.

Hahahahaha.

Learn to shred.
    To myself I surrender, to the one I'll never please.
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    and maybe if your lucky you'll dress her frets.
  • Tried writing your own stuff??
    I'm not a technically great guitarist, but i've been writing my own music for years now and i find it much more enjoyable than learning other people's songs.
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Join and/or start a band.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • Join and/or start a band.

That too! Plus it really helps you to improve if you play with others. eg. hearing, timing etc.
    (
    (
    KillerIsMe wrote:
    and maybe if your lucky you'll dress her frets.

Is that a euphamism for something?
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Start creating your own music and you'll never get tired of the instrument, unless you get tired of music in general.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    What if the band is part of the problem?
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    get a little multitrack recording device. they're cheap these days and them jam out riffs and add parts over top etc. etc. it keeps you creative and forces you to try different things to create parts that fit well together.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    nailz100 wrote:
    What if the band is part of the problem?

fire the drummer :p
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    Download Acoustica Mixcraft. Mix some guitar tracks up. Thats what I use. It keeps things interesting.
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    exhausted wrote:
    get a little multitrack recording device. they're cheap these days and them jam out riffs and add parts over top etc. etc. it keeps you creative and forces you to try different things to create parts that fit well together.

I got one around a year and a half ago, and it was one of the best things I ever did for myself. Then I started taking lessons back in Sept/Oct, and I haven't looked back.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    exhausted wrote:

Hey, how many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?

None! They have a machine to do that now.
  • KovoKovo Posts: 255
    Be more spontaneous... like, take your guitar out to dinner once in a while, or plan a trip to Europe together.

I tried that, we went to a fancy french restaurant and Jasmine loved it (My guitar). The only thing is we got into an arguement about our future, and Debra (My amp) got jealous and gave me feedback for a week. And I don't even want to get started on Jill (My SG).

I learned to tap awhile ago (Metallica's One solo), writing my own stuff, etc. I think if I was in a band, and had some goals, it would be better. The only problems are the only good drummer is into punk (Blink 182, The Used) and I'm into rock, and we have no good singer (Unless we play screamo, no thanks).
    I shouldn't have to fight a battle I'll never win, just to lose those I've never had.
  • exhausted wrote:

And seriously, if that doesn't work then get out of the band! Start a new one. I've had to do that plenty of times when ive worked out that i just dont wanna be doing the same thing as the others.

But dont get me wrong, get rid of the drummer and things should improve ^_^
    (
    (
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415

Exactly. If your guitar wants to see Fever Pitch and you want to see Sin City, go with the Fever Pitch.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Kovo wrote:
    The only problems are the only good drummer is into punk (Blink 182, The Used) and I'm into rock,

The Clash, The Ramones, Sex Pisols, Buzzcocks. Those are punk bands.

Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, Sum41, etc. Those are POP bands.

(damn, sorry about that...sometimes I get this way.)
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
    Bump. Still need some advice :)
  • Kovo wrote:

stop masturbating.
    start sublimating.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Hey, how many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?

None! They have a machine to do that now.

hey man, im a drummer AND a guitarist, and drummers arnt just at the bak of the band...they keep it all in time, and its bloody hard work! tell ya wat, wen u can play even flow on drums like matt cameron, come and tell me okay?
    Fuck The System
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Kovo wrote:

Personally, I don't think there is anything that one of us are going to say or suggest that get you interested in guitar again. Sounds like you are burned out and it happens. The fact that you posted this thread would indicate that you might not be as burned out as you are leading on. So, why not just set the guitar down and focus on music for a while. What are you listening to? Is there anything new that has got you turned on? If you want my opinion that is what I wouuld do, just leave the axe alone until it asks you to play it.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • ... and leave mr. wang alone too.
    it's bad for the creative juices!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    I still wanna play guitar, but the drive I had before is gone. I picked up my acoustic again and that has helped, so I think I just need a challenge. Before when I had a song to learn, I would, and I loved it. So I think I'll just keep learning harder and harder stuff. Any suggestions for good guitaring, that's difficult to play?
  • if i wanna build up my chops i always put on some Satriani and get 1 og his books out.You need to set yourself goals and stick to them to improve your playing.Ive been playing 18 years now and yes do sometimes get bored but i find if you leave it for a while and then come back to it when your'e ready the inspiration will come back.
    Cornell pwns u
  • Talk with your guitar, make sure you're on the same page...and ask if it would be cool to bring another guitar into the mix!

(seriously though, having more than 1 guitar is a lot of fun...i currently have 17....and it's fun going through different tones, different sounds, it's a lot of fun)

-Seth
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13